No output with Clicker 2 and Matrix RGB click

General discussion on mikroC PRO for ARM.
Author

No output with Clicker 2 and Matrix RGB click

#1 Post by nealbert » 25 Mar 2020 21:55

On March 11, 2020 I purchased a Clicker 2 for STM (hardware revision 1.01) from you. On the same day I also ordered a MIKROE-2346 Matrix RGB Panel Kit and a MIKROE-237 6mm 32x32 RGB Matrix Panel from Mouser, your USA distributor. The Matrix RGB Click board is revision 1.00a. I have successfully compiled and uploaded the Libstock demo program from for the Clicker 2 board. That verifies that the Clicker 2 board is working.
I also successfully compiled the sample program for the Matrix RGB Click board (changing the MPU fromSTM32F107VC to the STM32F407VG found on the Clicker 2) and uploaded it to the Clicker 2.
However, when I hook up everything and apply power, I get nothing but dark LEDs. The dreaded dark photons! I read elsewhere in this Forum that there was a firmware change to the Matrix RGB Click board. Could this be my problem?

Since I know you're going to ask...photos of my setup and a copy of my program and hex file are attached.

PS : I have substituted a USB cable for the lipo battery and it makes no difference. The power to the panel is from a 5 volt, 3 amp bench power supply.

Do I need to upload the graphics and font files to the clicker 2 or is just the hex file sufficient?

Neal
Attachments
setup_back.JPG
setup_back.JPG (554.43 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Setup_front.jpg
Setup_front.jpg (699.02 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Clicker 2 with Matrix RGB.zip
(332.04 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: No output with Clicker 2 and Matrix RGB click

#2 Post by stefan.filipovic » 27 Mar 2020 10:44

Hi Neal,

You haven't set the clock configuration properly for the chosen MCU frequency.
Could you please try loading this clock scheme: STM32F407VG_HSE_PLL_25MHz_to_168MHz.cfgsch in the Edit Project window(Ctlr+Shift+E)?

Kind regards,
Stefan Filipović

nealbert

#3 Post by nealbert » 28 Mar 2020 23:05

Stefan,

Made the change, Rebuilt All and uploaded the program to the Clicker 2. Unfortunately, matrix panel is still dark. I don't even get a flicker from one LED. Just nothing.

I even saved the program and re-started the IDE before uploading program. Didn't help.

Just for grins, I tried selecting ALL the other schemes for the STM32F407VG MCU. You know the drill...select the Scheme, Rebuild all sources, download hex to Clicker 2. Over and over again. None of the different schemes worked.

Neal

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by stefan.filipovic » 31 Mar 2020 10:28

Hi Neal,

Could you please try with the example from the attachment?

If the issue still persists, I suppose the click board needs to be reflashed with the latest firmware.

Do you have any external programmer for FT900 MCUs such as our mikroProg for FT90x?

Kind regards,
Attachments
Clicker 2 with Matrix RGB.zip
(354.97 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Stefan Filipović

nealbert

#5 Post by nealbert » 31 Mar 2020 23:10

Stefan,

I uploaded the hex file you provided and still nothing.

Fortunately, I saved your hex file in a separate folder because I cannot get your project to compile. I get this error message on Line 43..."Undeclared Identifier '_GPIO INPUT' in expression" and this message for Lines 44-45..."Undeclared Identifier '_GPIO OUTPUT' in expression". I've tried the usual things like making sure the correct Libraries are selected in Library Manager and editing the Search Paths, but obviously I'm missing something. Can you please send me a screen shot showing your Search Paths and selected Libraries?

As an aside, I compiled the Click_Matrix_RGB_STM Libstock example for the Kinesis Click 2 board. Compiled fine. Uploaded hex file to Kinesis click 2 board and...........nothing. Nothing but dark LEDs. I think this confirms that the problem is with the Matrix RGB Click Board.

I do have a mikroProg for FT90x. I'll try updating the firmware on the Click board tonight.

Neal

PS : I have verified that the RGB Matrix panel is good. I plugged the panel into an Adafruit Feather M0 with the RGB Matrix Featherwing. The panel lights up brightly. Full color too. The image is screwed up. I suspect due to differences in the addressing of the Data pins. Not sure about that, but at lease I know the LED Matrix panel is good.

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by stefan.filipovic » 01 Apr 2020 07:06

Hi Neal,

Please add the following path in the Edit Search Path (Ctrl+Shift+P) -> Sources window and do Rebuild All Sources (Alt+F9):
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mikroelektronika\mikroC PRO for ARM\Packages\mikroBUS BDF API\Uses
And make sure you include the mikroBUS and Matrix RGB click library in the Library Manager.
I do have a mikroProg for FT90x. I'll try updating the firmware on the Click board tonight.
Great! Please let me know if this solved the problem.

Kind regards,
Stefan Filipović

nealbert

#7 Post by nealbert » 06 Apr 2020 20:56

Stefan,

Been away from the Forum for a couple of days but have been working diligently on this problem.

I purchased my MikroProg for FT90x about a year ago, but have never used it until now. I do have a few questions/problems...
I installed the MikroProg Suite on 2 Windows 10 machines. Installed as Administrator.
The hardware connections are straightforward. USB to the MikroProg and USB to the Clicker 2 to provide power to the Matrix RGB Click Board. Blue stripe on the MikroProg lines up with Pin 1 on the Matrix RGB Click board.
FT90x Hookup.JPG
FT90x Hookup.JPG (83.88 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
I then ran the Suite (as an Administrator).
On both Win10 machines I get this error message when clicking on Detect MCU.... "NUM_BYTES_RECEIVED_INVALID"
OK, so there's the first issue.

Since I could not get the mikroProg to work on my Win10 machines, I knocked the dust off my 12 year old Dual Core Toshiba laptop running Vista (Yes, some of us had no issues with Vista)
So, once again, Install the MikroProg Suite as Administrator. Run the Suite as Administrator.
Click on "Detect MCU" and it works. "FT900 REV:1" shows up just above the "Detect MCU" button.
So I LOAD the firmware hex file you provided and click on WRITE and wait for all the glorious LEDs to bedazzle my eyes. (yes, I dod have the cable connected between the Matrix RGB Click and the LED Matrix panel)
But, I get nothing. Just dark LEDs.
So I try WRITING the hex file again. Still nothing.
But, I noticed that he progress bar at the bottom of the MikroProg Suite took only a couple of seconds to program the FT900 chip on the Matrix RGB Click.
Can it really program that fast???
So I start messing with stuff and I discover...
1) The "programming time" depends on whats is running in the background (ie is MikroPro C still running, is the Mikroprog HMI Bootloader program still running). I saw "programming" times range from 2-3 seconds to 2-3 MINUTES.
2) I'm not convinced that the FT900 chip really gets programmed. Maybe i just don't know how to interpret the Program Memory Dump when you click on the CODE button, but I don't see any difference in the Code Before or After I erase the chip or after the program has been written.
Writing.jpg
Writing.jpg (721.31 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
3) I also noticed that the DATA and ACTIVE lights on the MikroProg NEVER light up. I seem to remember those lights illuminating on my MikroProg for AVR when programming an MCU.
Is there something I'm not seeing?
Something I'm doing wrong?
I realize the MikroProg is outwardly a simple device and the MikroProg Suite interface is fairly uncomplicated, but is there a tutorial anywhere that show the correct operation of this device?
We're deviating from the original problem with the Matrix RGB Click. Should this be a new thread?

Neal

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

#8 Post by stefan.filipovic » 07 Apr 2020 10:30

Hi Neal,

Have you installed the drivers for mikroProg also using administrator privileges?
https://download.mikroe.com/setups/driv ... s-v212.zip
But, I noticed that he progress bar at the bottom of the MikroProg Suite took only a couple of seconds to program the FT900 chip on the Matrix RGB Click.
Can it really program that fast???
So I start messing with stuff and I discover...
1) The "programming time" depends on whats is running in the background (ie is MikroPro C still running, is the Mikroprog HMI Bootloader program still running). I saw "programming" times range from 2-3 seconds to 2-3 MINUTES
It depends on the size of the hex file, in our case, the programming process should last 2-3 seconds, yes.
The CODE button displays the content of the loaded hex file, in this case, when you load the firmware hex file the Program Memory Dump should be as below.
CODE.png
CODE.png (203.55 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Kind regards,
Stefan Filipović

nealbert

#9 Post by nealbert » 14 Apr 2020 20:58

Stefan,

Thanks for the feedback. My Code display never look like yours. Mine always looks like the device is erased (all zeros). I'll try you suggestion of using Administrator privileges and see if that makes a difference.

But, to be honest, I don't know when or if I'll get back to working with the Matrix RGB Click. I received my order of parts from Sparkfun a couple of days ago. These parts included a Teensy 3.2 and a SmartLED Shield for Teensy V4. It took less than an hour to solder the pins into the Teensy and Smart LED board, download & install the latest Arduino IDE and download & install the Teensyuino software add-on. Plugged the Teensy and SmartLED together. Plugged them into a pair of 32x64 Matrix panels. Downloaded example code to the Teensy. Turned on the power supply to the matrix and my eyes were instantly bathed in a glorious rainbow of color from 4096 LEDS. And, their hardware has been tested on a 64 x 96 matrix, the final size I need for this project.

I will return to this project using the MatrixRGB Click board and the Clicker 2, but right now I have a solution using the Teensy. Like all projects, I'm under pressure to show results and the Teensly is the quickest path at the moment. Again, thanks for all your help and I'm sure we'll talk in the near future.

Neal Cooper

Return to “mikroC PRO for ARM General”