WARNING: This Font Require X-GLCD Lib

GLCD Font Creator software is the ultimate solution to create personalized fonts, symbols and icons for Graphic LCDs. It generates code compatible with All mikroElektronika compilers
Author

WARNING: This Font Require X-GLCD Lib

#1 Post by rrsquez » 25 Sep 2015 00:38

Hello. I noticed this warning in Glcd Font Creator (along with the array that was generated for me):
//WARNING: This Font Require X-GLCD Lib.
// You can not use it with MikroE GLCD Lib.

I am using a T6963C type LCD controller. I want to create a "font", using the Microchip Ap Note (AN1182) that I've seen posted in other threads (regarding Fonts).

Before I go through the trouble, will the array generated by this program work using the T6963C commands? I'd like to know before I invest the time. If this won't work, could someone please give me a suggestion on how to implement a font using the T6963C type LCD controller?

Thank you, Richard V

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: WARNING: This Font Require X-GLCD Lib

#2 Post by filip » 25 Sep 2015 13:18

Hi,

The GLCD font creator will create a font that can be used with the T6963C controller, I have tried this many times.
Just use T6963C_Set_Font_Adv routine to set the font, and T6963C_Write_Char_Adv/T6963C_Write_Text_Adv routines to display character/text.

Regards,
Filip.

rrsquez

#3 Post by rrsquez » 25 Sep 2015 16:25

Hello Filip. Thank you. That's very encouraging. I'm a bit confused though. The document (AN1182) mentions that the examples for '16-bit and 32-bit PIC microcontollers'. I'm using an 8-bit AVR (ATmega128A). Will this be an issue? If so, are there any 8-bit Font examples?

Regards, Richard V

rrsquez

#4 Post by rrsquez » 26 Sep 2015 07:09

Hello, now I see why I got that message "WARNING: This Font Require X-GLCD Lib". I really was using the wrong export option.

I had problems with the font generated, now I know why. I see 2 export options for "GLCD":
1) Export for GLCD (which I picked responding to "GLCD")
2) Export to TFT and new GLCD (new library) <---- This seems to generate the correct format for T6963C LCDs

Using Filip's example font, I was able to render a message using his array on my LCD. It worked great (thank you Filip). Generating my own didn't work so well today.

I didn't notice the 2nd option at first. I just tried it out of frustration, but then noticed the "new GLCD" part. Using that 2nd option, the code does look more Filip's example.

ROOT CAUSE: Not using "Full screen" the button ribbon showing the 2nd option was not visible. I found this out when I maximized the window.

Using the 1st option, I kept generating a table that did not match the one shown in AN1182 (MicroChip document explaining fonts, used by this compiler). My guess is that the TFT and GLCD now share a common format, which is why the tool was developed this way. The other button must be for the KS108 type controller, or other legacy controllers that are still beings used.

I humbly suggest that they change the label to "Legacy GLCD". I updated this post in the even that someone else has ran into this problem. Also, I think the ribbon should be re-worked so that the 2nd option is not hidden.

The message that caught my attention "WARNING: This Font Require X-GLCD Lib" was a good clue. Using that 2nd "TFT" button option, I didn't get that warning message.

I'm not at work, but when I get in, I'll test this new format and see if it works. Presume it does and I'm done with this thread. If I have troubles after that, I'll continue to post here.

Thank you, Richard V

rrsquez

#5 Post by rrsquez » 28 Sep 2015 18:52

Hello all, I just got into work and tried using the proper code format. It works great! I just want to put this thread to rest now. There isn't anything left to say. I was fooled by the software, at first, I didn't see that the 2nd option for the new GLCD library was there. That was the problem, as well as not understanding the significance. The T6963C works well with this new GLCD libray.

Thank you, Richard V

Return to “GLCD Font Creator Software”