Find across project

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal PRO for PIC32.
Author

Find across project

#1 Post by LGR » 21 Dec 2012 18:12

One feature that would be extremely helpful for projects that use multiple units would be to have find and replace that would search all open tabs for a text string, and find all occurrences in all units in the project, rather than only the open tab.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

jpc

Re: Find across project

#2 Post by jpc » 21 Dec 2012 19:32

are you sure about this? there might be local labels you would not want to be affected , i think it would be difficult to oversee the consequences as the concerned units might be used elsewhere.
Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

LGR

#3 Post by LGR » 21 Dec 2012 19:46

Maybe I wasn't clear. This should be an option. You can look across units, or you can look only in the open tab. The reason why this should be an option is that often you need to see if old code in another tab is interfering with a variable. Alternatively, since there currently is no summary of used and unused variables, this would be a way to see if certain variables aren't used any more.

Of course, it depends on the number of global variables used. Some programs, by their nature, use a lot of global variables.

I think that the proper way to look at it is, if everything were all in one tab, would finding still be useful? You still have the same problem, making sure that you're not confusing local with global.

jpc

#4 Post by jpc » 21 Dec 2012 20:13

ok, i understand better now, ideally this would have an option to be lmlited by scope perhaps.
Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

janko.kaljevic

#5 Post by janko.kaljevic » 24 Dec 2012 17:04

Hello,

You can use Find in Files tool (ALT + F3) with "All opened tabs" checkbox checked, to search string in all opened units.
But at the moment this tool does not offer find and replace option.

I will put it on our wish list.

Best regards.

LGR

#6 Post by LGR » 24 Dec 2012 17:15

Ok. Excellent! :mrgreen: I was using ctl-F, and didn't see that option. Replace isn't very important. This is the important part, because it allows me to quickly search for all usages of a global variable. Also, since there is no longer a cross-tabulation of variable usage, this will allow me to look for unused variables.

I would say that some sort of label cross-reference tool should be higher priority than the "replace" function. The only real use for replace would be if you want to rename labels, which is sometimes a good thing.

I think there are a lot of features like this that I don't even see, and I don't know if there isn't a better way to point people to them. Maybe a wiki or something?

janko.kaljevic

#7 Post by janko.kaljevic » 25 Dec 2012 15:28

Hello,

Thanks for the input.
It will be considered.

Best regards.

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC32 Wish List”