ethernet library

Beta Testing discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC32.
Author

ethernet library

#1 Post by jpc » 12 Feb 2011 14:53

will there be ethernet-library in the release for the on-chip ethernet controller? currently we must use the ENC28J60 or ENCx24J600 external controllers.
Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: ethernet library

#2 Post by zristic » 14 Feb 2011 10:00

I am not sure we are going to make it up for the official release. Can't promise anything.

Donald Shimoda

#3 Post by Donald Shimoda » 15 Feb 2011 23:35

zristic wrote:I am not sure we are going to make it up for the official release. Can't promise anything.
The better you can do is send a free PIC32 compiler + a 32 bit board to YO2LIO and allow him release a PIC32 version of her AWESOME library. Save resources and win-win situation.
Donald Shimoda.

LGR

#4 Post by LGR » 17 Feb 2011 20:35

There's a thread over at mikroC beta testing that started out talking about buffering the ADC and brought up the broader issue of all of the unique PIC32 peripherals which will need new libraries that can't be imported from 8 and 16 bit compilers, because they're all unique on-chip PIC32 peripherals. I don't think Florin has 3 years to write libraries for all of them, even if he gets a free development system out of the deal. I think the only way they're all going to get written in a reasonable period is for a number of people to contribute projects.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine using the ENCx24J600, and don't want to fool with interfacing a PHY. But if someone wants to use the internal ethernet, please consider writing the library, and contributing a project.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Donald Shimoda

#5 Post by Donald Shimoda » 17 Feb 2011 20:44

LGR wrote:There's a thread over at mikroC beta testing that started out talking about buffering the ADC and brought up the broader issue of all of the unique PIC32 peripherals which will need new libraries that can't be imported from 8 and 16 bit compilers, because they're all unique on-chip PIC32 peripherals. I don't think Florin has 3 years to write libraries for all of them, even if he gets a free development system out of the deal. I think the only way they're all going to get written in a reasonable period is for a number of people to contribute projects.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine using the ENCx24J600, and don't want to fool with interfacing a PHY. But if someone wants to use the internal ethernet, please consider writing the library, and contributing a project.
I was talking about using YO2LIO libs with ethernet encoders ENC28J60 on PIC32 compilers. I dont know how complex is the embebbed pic32 ethernet , neither know the encoder you named. Work yo2lio lib with the encx24J600?

And about collaboration, YO2LIO started the ethernet library over the work ANTON and me do. ;)
Donald Shimoda.

LGR

#6 Post by LGR » 17 Feb 2011 20:58

All I was pointing out is that there's a bigger issue here with other PIC32 peripherals. There's a lot of work involved in making sure they're all properly supported.

The last time I checked, Microchip didn't even have a library for the PIC32 internal ethernet. Their library was for the ENCx24J600! Having one for the internal ethernet from Microchip would be a good starting point. :?

Keep in mind also that the hardware interface from the PIC32 to the PHY is ugly. The SPI interface of the ENCx24J600 is a lot cleaner, and about the same cost. Someone would really want the extra performance from the internal ethernet to justify the hardware complication.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Donald Shimoda

#7 Post by Donald Shimoda » 17 Feb 2011 22:22

LGR wrote:All I was pointing out is that there's a bigger issue here with other PIC32 peripherals. There's a lot of work involved in making sure they're all properly supported.

The last time I checked, Microchip didn't even have a library for the PIC32 internal ethernet. Their library was for the ENCx24J600! Having one for the internal ethernet from Microchip would be a good starting point. :?
As i say, only having a working library to interface ENC28J60 and MAYBE ENCx24J600 will fit the most users need.

I think this task on the hands of the owner and writer of the code (YO2LIO ethernet library are closed source) cannot take three years...

Best regards.
Donald Shimoda.

yo2lio

#8 Post by yo2lio » 23 Feb 2011 00:12

Hi to all,

I have ENCx24J600 TCP/IP stack library for PIC and PIC24, works great.
The problem is: a client pay me for this and I need him permission to put the compiled files and examples on the forum.
I'm 100% that the library will works for PIC32, but I need to rewrite all my libraries for PIC32, I use a lot of asm in this.
At this moment, I don't have time to do that...
Best regards, Florin Andrei Medrea.

http://www.microelemente.ro/
http://www.microelemente.ro/produse-si-servicii/
http://www.microelemente.ro/custom-software/

mail : florin@microelemente.ro

Donald Shimoda

#9 Post by Donald Shimoda » 23 Feb 2011 00:20

yo2lio wrote:Hi to all,

I have ENCx24J600 TCP/IP stack library for PIC and PIC24, works great.
The problem is: a client pay me for this and I need him permission to put the compiled files and examples on the forum.
I'm 100% that the library will works for PIC32, but I need to rewrite all my libraries for PIC32, I use a lot of asm in this.
At this moment, I don't have time to do that...
Yo2lio, your libs are great, awesome! The only problem rigth now is the same problem you named, are closed source and you dont have enough time. Dont you think in selling your libraries source code at a affordable price to several mikroe customers? If you do and the price is ok, off course i will pay for the code! You can become the first thirdy party developer for mikroe and get good money in the process, ala Delphi.

I have to debug many devices using your libraries and hit the wall for the reason i mentioned. I particularly use ETHER 3.4 (3.5 need a lot more of memory and i need some lite library, 3.4 work excelent), you send me the sources but still ask for many other used in your string libs, etc.

So, please consider selling a package with your sources to professional developers, and yes, make it affordable, you can sell many licenses then.

Best regards.
Donald Shimoda.

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC32 Beta Testing”