IDE Changes during debug (or really after debug)

Beta Testing discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC32.
Author

IDE Changes during debug (or really after debug)

#1 Post by tboydva » 08 Feb 2011 19:04

I tried this on two separate computers. I usually "pin" the "Project Settings," "Code Explorer," etc on my IDE. The first time I ran through the software debugger, the IDE "changed" to reveal the debugging-specific windows. When I ended debugging, my "pinned" windows were unpinned (and in the first instance, removed from the active view - "hidden"). I finally found the setting in Tools > Options > "Debug Layout." I pinned the watched window to an active display and changed this to "Use current layout."

My opinion (just me perhaps) is that most programmers get their IDE set like they want it to be. Having it change and having to reset after debugging was kind of a hassle until I found the setting. Perhaps the default should be to reset the IDE to the way it was before going into debug mode?

p.erasmus

Re: IDE Changes during debug (or really after debug)

#2 Post by p.erasmus » 08 Feb 2011 20:52

You only need to set your windows as you want them and press the save layout button and the windows will always be as you saved the layout
Attachments
2-8-2011 8-50-41 PM.png
2-8-2011 8-50-41 PM.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia
--------------------------------------------------------------

tboydva

#3 Post by tboydva » 09 Feb 2011 03:42

Well - there you go. I don't remember ever having to do this with previous IDE versions (since 2006), but it worked famously. I wonder if the default action could be altered for previous compiler users (who weren't savvy enough to know how to save layouts). Thanks again.
Tom

nlukic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by nlukic » 09 Feb 2011 15:09

Hello,

It was always worked like it works now. Predefined layouts that coming with IDE are here to get things easier for users. You can always modify current or save layout by different name, with windows arranged in desired way. But, if you want to save any change to the current layout you need to hit a button:
2-8-2011 8-50-41 PM.png
2-8-2011 8-50-41 PM.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
This works for all layers except the "Default" layer. You cannot save or delete this one. Changes made to this layer are saved when you exit the IDE.

About switching layouts automatically:

When entering a Debug mode, IDE automatically switches the current layout to "Debug Layout", to ,as you said, see debug windows. After stopping debuger, IDE changes a layout to the one that was before entering in debug mode. You can turn off this option off using Options window:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.55 KiB) Viewed 4065 times

Regards,
nlukic

mikroElektronika team

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC32 Beta Testing”