New to PIC32MX795F512L; General questions about these chips I will get soon

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC32.
Author

New to PIC32MX795F512L; General questions about these chips I will get soon

#1 Post by chris11jed » 10 Aug 2022 08:21

Hello all,

So I am lucky enough to grab two PIC32MX795F512L chips from a mate. He will give me two Microchip embedded daughter-boards, with just the MCU's on each daughter-board. No crystal/resonators, no caps, just the chip and that's it.

I have looked at the MikroE's PIC32MX795F512L MCU Card which is unfortunately out of stock (thanks semiconductor shortage :roll: ) and specifically the schematic of that board.

I have just bought MikroC for PIC32, with license. And have a project in mind for at least one of those MCU daughter-boards. I wish to run the MCU clock at 100MHz and have I2C speed at 1MHz, which I am pretty sure I can do with a 20MHz crystal/resonator and the right 'Edit Project' window settings. I figure I can do this via a quick glance at the MCU's datasheet on oscillators and I2C. And having a look at the 'Edit Project' window in the LED Blink program when originally launching MikroC for PIC32.

Anyway, I wish to ask a few general questions before attempting all that, to hopefully use a MikroProg for PIC32 to program it once a PCB is made up to house the daughter-board.

A) As a 'bare-bones' minimal amount of components, to get the PIC32MX795F512L daughter-boards to run, would it be sound to say, that I'd need the capacitors C20 to C26 on VCC-MCU pins. And the resistors (R4, R5) & capacitor (C17) for the MCLR pin. The 20MHz crystal/resonator I want to use and two 22pF caps on OSC32IN and OSC32OUT?

B) Using a 2x5 IDE Header, like I have done when programming a PIC18F87K22 with a MikroProg for PIC, I would have pins of the header go straight to (pins 2, 16, 37, 46, 55, 62, 86 - VCC_MCU) and (pin 26 - RB6-PGC) and (pin 27 - RB7-PGD) and (pin 13 - MCLR) and GND pins. Obviously, following the way I use a MikroProg for PIC to program a PIC18F87K22, one side of the 2x5 header is to the MCU, and the other side is to the cct's. But, allowing for that same standard in 2x5 header pin allocation, would what I've outlined here be sufficient to program the PIC32MX795F512L on my daughter-boards? Is it the same sort of thing, regarding the programming header of the mikroProg and the PIC32MX795F512L?

C) If all of that is okay, and I set the MCU clock frequency up right in MikroC for PIC32, the project I wish to eventually try sees me run a few 8x8 RGB-LED modules (I wish to test out just one to start off, but hopefully, by setting the MCU clock speed at 100MHz, I'll be able to run a few of these LED-matrix modules). If all of that is successful, I wish to take advantage of the internal RTC and secondary clock source (32.768kHz crystal) that I see on the Mikro MCU schematic. So, is it possible to run the 8x8 RGB-LED Matrix, and have the PIC32MX795F512L run its RTC via the secondary clock source? My question really boils down to, you can run the PIC32MX795F512L via its primary clock source, and run the RTC via the secondary clock source at the same time, right? Sorry if this is the 'dumb question', but I haven't poured through the datasheets in regard to its RTC and the secondary clock source as of yet. And just wanted a very general understanding of if the MCU can be its own RTC and run code to display the time/date/weekday.

Thank you. Hopefully, with these daughter-boards, and the right components, I can start my PIC32 journey off well :mrgreen:
So any and all responses to this 'research' post will be much appreciated!
Chris

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: New to PIC32MX795F512L; General questions about these chips I will get soon

#2 Post by filip » 12 Aug 2022 08:22

Hi,
A) As a 'bare-bones' minimal amount of components, to get the PIC32MX795F512L daughter-boards to run, would it be sound to say, that I'd need the capacitors C20 to C26 on VCC-MCU pins. And the resistors (R4, R5) & capacitor (C17) for the MCLR pin. The 20MHz crystal/resonator I want to use and two 22pF caps on OSC32IN and OSC32OUT?
You can check the populated MCU card to see which components you need, below is a simple schematics :
https://download.mikroe.com/documents/f ... l-v100.pdf
B) Using a 2x5 IDE Header, like I have done when programming a PIC18F87K22 with a MikroProg for PIC, I would have pins of the header go straight to (pins 2, 16, 37, 46, 55, 62, 86 - VCC_MCU) and (pin 26 - RB6-PGC) and (pin 27 - RB7-PGD) and (pin 13 - MCLR) and GND pins. Obviously, following the way I use a MikroProg for PIC to program a PIC18F87K22, one side of the 2x5 header is to the MCU, and the other side is to the cct's. But, allowing for that same standard in 2x5 header pin allocation, would what I've outlined here be sufficient to program the PIC32MX795F512L on my daughter-boards? Is it the same sort of thing, regarding the programming header of the mikroProg and the PIC32MX795F512L?
Same programming header/connection used with PIC18F87K22 is used with PIC32MX795F512L - PGC, PGD, MCLR, VCC and GND are needed for programming.
C) If all of that is okay, and I set the MCU clock frequency up right in MikroC for PIC32, the project I wish to eventually try sees me run a few 8x8 RGB-LED modules (I wish to test out just one to start off, but hopefully, by setting the MCU clock speed at 100MHz, I'll be able to run a few of these LED-matrix modules). If all of that is successful, I wish to take advantage of the internal RTC and secondary clock source (32.768kHz crystal) that I see on the Mikro MCU schematic. So, is it possible to run the 8x8 RGB-LED Matrix, and have the PIC32MX795F512L run its RTC via the secondary clock source? My question really boils down to, you can run the PIC32MX795F512L via its primary clock source, and run the RTC via the secondary clock source at the same time, right? Sorry if this is the 'dumb question', but I haven't poured through the datasheets in regard to its RTC and the secondary clock source as of yet. And just wanted a very general understanding of if the MCU can be its own RTC and run code to display the time/date/weekday.
You can enable both primary and secondary oscillators to drive both MCU and internal RTC, just make sure that you set RTC registers to use secondary oscillator.

Regards,
Filip.

chris11jed

Re: New to PIC32MX795F512L; General questions about these chips I will get soon

#3 Post by chris11jed » 12 Aug 2022 15:30

Hi Filip,

Thank you very much for answering my questions. They have all helped a great deal! And I am a lot more confident about moving forward with my endeavours. :D

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC32 General”