Software licensing

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC32.
Author

Software licensing

#1 Post by Lazy Billy » 03 Dec 2021 00:20

Hello, I would firstly like to give you some background info about my situation.
I have a small project for my study which will require me to use a PIC32MM with a CAN SPI click mikro BUS module which will be connected to the SPI BUS interface on a EXPLORE 16/32 development board. I am currently using MPLAB X IDE as it was suggested to me by an associate.

My project is to develop a C program to achieve communication with a CANBUS joystick where I will need to interpret the data fields of the CAN messages sent by the joystick when different buttons are pressed/activated.

I am a newbie when it comes to the C language (and embedded systems in general) hence my first idea is to search for available libraries that may offer some desirable functionality. I have come across the CANSPI Library, although it seems that to implement this library I must be using mikroC PRO instead of MPLAB X IDE.

My question: Is it possible to obtain a free version of mikroC PRO (a trial version maybe) so I may learn about the product.. although I have not been successful in finding one online unless it is an illegal copy lol, so that I may explore the CANSPI library and thus I may determine if it will allow me to provide a solution to my project? I have seen that a mikroC PRO license is around $250 to purchase, which I am a little hesitant to try and convince my teacher to do so as I am still in the investigation stages of the project.

Thank you very much for your time and advice :)

darko.ilijevski

Re: Software licensing

#2 Post by darko.ilijevski » 06 Dec 2021 18:46

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Our "PRO" compilers can be used for evaluation as unregistered products. However, they allow only a limited amount of code to be written (about 1000 lines or 2K of output code) before you hit the "demo limit". With the demo version, you should be able to test some basic functionality of the libraries and see if it is a good fit for you.

Regarding the compatibility: you are correct, our libraries are not compatible with MPLab.

Best regards,
Darko
Last edited by darko.ilijevski on 14 Dec 2021 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
BR,
Darko

Lazy Billy

#3 Post by Lazy Billy » 09 Dec 2021 05:14

Thank you for your reply Darko =)

darko.ilijevski

#4 Post by darko.ilijevski » 14 Dec 2021 23:02

You are welcome.

However, it just crossed my mind (while reasoning with a certain someone in another thread) that we also offer a three-month fully functional demo of our latest compiler - Necto Studio. It still lets your run "legacy" code, actually running a mikroC PRO version in the background. However, it might look a bit intimidating before you understand how easy is to use it. With Necto, you will get three months of a fully functional trial version, which should let you see if it is the right tool for you.
If you run into some issues, our team will help you get through them.

https://www.mikroe.com/necto
BR,
Darko

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC32 General”