libstock - I do not know where to ask ...

General discussion on Package Manager Software.
Author

libstock - I do not know where to ask ...

#1 Post by RomanT » 29 Aug 2012 16:31

Why so much for the PIC, and so little for AVR ???
HW: µM Plus for STM32, µM for ATMEGA, µM for XMEGA, MINI-AT, µProgSTM32, ConnectEVE.
SW: mikroC AVR, ARM, VisualTFT.
Clicks: WiFi+, GSM, GSM2, Bluetooth, ADC, DAC, RTC, IrThermo,
FM, OSD, GPS-L10, GYRO, Altitude, Compass, nRF C, USB adapter, SpeakUp.

MrB

Re: libstock - I do not know where to ask ...

#2 Post by MrB » 30 Aug 2012 03:09

..... and even less for the ARM.

The reason is simple, the PIC devices are what mE cut their teeth on, therefore the PIC product range is much more mature which also means it has had time to develope a healthy PIC customer base.
It is these customers that add their code to libstock. It also means that, due to that larger customer base, the PIC support and development has a higher priority at mE than other architecture.

We AVR and ARM users are at the mercy of the popularity of these devices.
If more people aren't attracted to the AVR or ARM in mE flavours, then we have a relatively lonely path ahead. If it doesn't prove popular enough at all, the product range would more than likely be dropped, it's just business sense.

So it is up to people like you and me to upload any potentially useful or interesting code to libstock, which hopefully attracts new AVR (and ARM!) users, who will hopefully do the same, and so the ball starts rolling.

Obviously it takes effort on mE's side too. Developing the hardware and the software is not where it ends for them, they must provide good support(which seems pretty good on the forum here) and obviously good documentation(hint hint!). Good documentation actually makes a vendor's job easier as there is less need for direct support.
EasyMx PRO v7 for STM32 | F407VG MCU card | STM32F4-Discovery | FriendlyARM mini2440

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: libstock - I do not know where to ask ...

#3 Post by filip » 30 Aug 2012 08:40

Hi,

As MrB said, the mikroE PIC community is currently larger then the AVR, so that is why there are more projects/code on the LibStock.
However, we strongly encourage our AVR users to post their code, because we know that there are many AVR customers who would appreciate this contribution.

Also, we tend to broaden our AVR and ARM product ranges and we think that this will help us to promote these architectures to our users and allure them to these great platforms. :)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “Package Manager General”