external EEPROM of EasyPic7 to store static objects VGLCD

General discussion on Visual GLCD Software.
Author

external EEPROM of EasyPic7 to store static objects VGLCD

#1 Post by MScatolin » 27 Jul 2012 21:49

Hi guys,

I'm working with Visual GLCD 2.5 and MikroC Pro for PIC 5.2. My problem is that in PIC18K45K22 the RAM size is not enough for me, so, I'd like to use the external I2C memory (I believe it's 8K) provided with the EasyPIC7 board to store the statics objects and screens.

When I try to use the external resource checkbox in Edit Project it does only let me use SD cards.

Is there a way to solve my problem? And please teach me step-by-step cause I didn't write a line in C since 2007.

If not, how can I check the RAM needed in order to buy a new MCU?

Tks in advance

janko.kaljevic

Re: external EEPROM of EasyPic7 to store static objects VGLC

#2 Post by janko.kaljevic » 30 Jul 2012 09:50

Hello,

First, please notice that external resources will not reduce RAM usage and it will add new buffer which is used for MMC.
External resources will reduce ROM occupancy, which is very important for pictures and fonts.

And if you want to significantly reduce RAM occupancy, try to use static property for all objects that will not change in run time.
If you have a constant object on the screen, set it's static property on true, and this object will be stored in ROM instead of RAM.

Best regards.

MScatolin

#3 Post by MScatolin » 30 Jul 2012 14:01

Actually i was thinking that even changing the Static property to TRUE i would need more ROM, but now seems ok,

My question now is that when I use PIC 18F45K22 (the one which comes with EasyPic7) I got an error message that don't recognizes teh Init_MCU function (says it is undeclared). Shoudn't this code be generated by VGLCD? (on the screen that i can change the MCU the only initalization code is the Init_ADC routine).

tks

MScatolin

#4 Post by MScatolin » 30 Jul 2012 16:04

Ok, I understand, I must expressed wrong,

Acctually I did that. In order to reduce RAM usage I made most of my objects Static, so the usage in ROM increased and now I want to use the external EEPROM provided with EasyPic7 development board. So, what I have to do to use this feature?

tks in advance Janko, best regards

Marcelo

MScatolin

#5 Post by MScatolin » 30 Jul 2012 16:13

Ok, I understand, I must expressed wrong,

Acctually I did that. In order to reduce RAM usage I made most of my objects Static, so the usage in ROM increased and now I want to use the external EEPROM provided with EasyPic7 development board. So, what I have to do to use this feature?

tks in advance Janko, best regards

Marcelo

janko.kaljevic

#6 Post by janko.kaljevic » 31 Jul 2012 14:12

Hello,

At the moment we do not have examples that uses I2C EEPROM for external resources.
But you can try to implement it on your own. You only need to write handler function as we did for MMC resources.
Please check this part n VGLCD tool and see how it could be done.

Best regards.

Return to “Visual GLCD General”