We need a bugfix edition urgently.

General discussion on Visual GLCD Software.
Author

We need a bugfix edition urgently.

#1 Post by Vineyards » 06 Jan 2012 08:00

I think the time is already ripe for a bug fix edition of Visual GLCD. Some of the obvious bugs such as touchpad enable/disable setting not completely working and other touchpad related issues which are described in forum posts don't do any justice to this useful tool with a great potential.

After this immediate bugfix release, we will look forward to solutions to sort out the biggest shortcoming: memory or storage options. It seems even the top class 18F series don't have the RAM capacity to cope with the memory requirements. So, an obvious alternative would be using EEPROMS with an SPI or I2C interface. I know there is MMC support but EEPROMS would be a cheaper, easier to implement and therefore practical alternative.

I have a question about the bmp export function on Visual GLCD. When I try to export a screen using the to export tool, I end up with a cropped image that appears to be lower resolution. Is this tool intended for lower res GLCD's or is it a bug? Documentation is far from complete; so, we don't know what functions or procedures to use to integrate these images to the rest of the project.
Last edited by Vineyards on 06 Jan 2012 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Vineyards

Re: We need a bugfix edition urgently.

#2 Post by Vineyards » 06 Jan 2012 08:48

Since posting above I have thought about the storage options. I think EEPROMS would be practical but what about speed?
The ordinary EEPROMs out there are not intrinsically fast. We might expect a considerable lag while the screen image is loading. I2C would be slow I suppose. SPI might be fast enough but someone with knowledge with different types of EEPROM could give us some hints. Since speed will probably an issue what interface or what chip model would give the best performance? Could Mikroelektronika authors give us some insight about this?

Vineyards

Re: We need a bugfix edition urgently.

#3 Post by Vineyards » 08 Jan 2012 21:56

It seems there is support for serial and internal eeproms but in the absence of documentation it is all guesswork...

Return to “Visual GLCD General”