Planning to change of familly pics

General discussion on mikroPascal for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

#16 Post by FRM » 22 Oct 2008 06:31

Peltier devices in themselves need careful temperature management to extract the best performance from them & to avoid burn-up.
They can be very effective heat pumps although relatively expensive to implement effectively.
There are all-in-one solutions that are aimed at the PC processor cooler market that just require a PSU - and most require a significant current supply to pump at the maximum.
:wink:

Donald Shimoda

#17 Post by Donald Shimoda » 22 Oct 2008 13:41

FRM wrote:Peltier devices in themselves need careful temperature management to extract the best performance from them & to avoid burn-up.
They can be very effective heat pumps although relatively expensive to implement effectively.
There are all-in-one solutions that are aimed at the PC processor cooler market that just require a PSU - and most require a significant current supply to pump at the maximum.
:wink:
Thanks.

Theres any placve where i can find more info?

TIA
Donald Shimoda.

LGR

#18 Post by LGR » 22 Oct 2008 14:43

Before you go to Peltier, are you using a passive heat sink now? I would think that a passive heat sink coupled with a high-temp chip would be a much cheaper and more satisfactory solution. You may also consider lowering the voltage on the 18F to 4.5 or even 4, if the rest of the curcuit will function properly (and you have to derate the clock according to the Microchip curves).

A Peltier on a PIC is kind of like a turbocharger on a motorcycle.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

FRM

#19 Post by FRM » 22 Oct 2008 15:22

LGR wrote:A Peltier on a PIC is kind of like a turbocharger on a motorcycle.
:lol: Well put LGR.

Peltiers become helpful when you need to remove several watts or more - and as LGR said lowering voltages is good a way to gain a few degrees tolerance.

However, for further reading on TEC's etc. see:
http://www.marlow.com/TechnicalInfo/tec ... mation.htm
I have employed some of their peltier devices for precision temperature control of microscope stages - and their information resource proved invaluable to me.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Return to “mikroPascal for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 General”