Let's Make - SMS Home Alarm 2

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author
anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#1 Post by anikolic » 15 Nov 2013 18:31

We're coming back with new and improved Let's make projects starting this winter. We want to use the
convenience of PIC clicker and Click Boards to create interesting and compact devices you can use in your
home and work.

Today we'll show you how to create a cheap and effective home-made SMS alarm solution. You'll be able
instantly receive SMS whenever an unauthorized entry happens to your home while you’re away. We need
following parts: PIC clicker, GSM click, Relay click, Motion sensor board, right angle GSM antenna, four 1x8
stacking connectors as well as 10 Wire Jumpers (female-to-female). We'll put them together and load a HEX
file provided on Libstock website to create a working device.

Click Here To Watch The Video.

The alarm is very simple. Once powered up it needs to be armed with a single click of a button. Then it will
start to continuously read data coming from motion sensor. If the movement is detected system will
automatically send SMS to predefined phone number. You'll have 10 seconds to disarm it, or alarm will go off.

The whole thing is easily scalable. You can upgrade it's behavior it by changing source code or enrich it with
more features. Kit is available for sale at only $129.00.

Yours sincerely,
MikroElektronika
Web Department Manager

MaGiK

Re: Let's Make - SMS Home Alarm 2

#2 Post by MaGiK » 16 Nov 2013 15:42

Very nice comeback :D
This project is very cool, and I must say that the idea of placing two Click boards in one MikroBus socket is incredible.
That idea will open the door to many cool experiments of using two Click boards in one MikroBus socket.

I didn't quite understand why the second pair of Stacking headers were placed on top of the first pair, but that doesn't affect my judgement, which is that this idea is incredible.

Keep surprising us :D
Best Regards
My hobby is collecting MikroElektronika products.
Gotta catch them all!

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by anikolic » 18 Nov 2013 22:44

Thanks MaGiK!

Stacking Click boards is something we wanted to demonstrate a long time ago. Actually, since they were invented.
The reason why we didn't is - what if someone with very little knowledge adds click upon click and something doesn't work as expected. We would have to answer to many support tickets :)
But last week we said - OK, let's show the people how to do it properly. Like with any other development tool just think about what you are about to do, before you do it.
Don't stack two SPI devices unless you can provide two Chip Selects... Don't stack two clicks with UART connections, unless you handle the handshake... But please do stack several I2C clicks...

From this new perspective PIC clicker turns out to be quite a remarkable tool. We're about to show you what can be done with it in the course of several consecutive Let's Make projects...

As for another pair of stacking headers - they just provide more distance between clicks. Nothing more. We kind of figured out it's the most appropriate choice for this particular project...

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

MaGiK

#4 Post by MaGiK » 10 Dec 2013 14:33

This post isn't an issue that requires a solution. :D

I discovered a nice thing today when I accidentally paused the video at the exact moment where the .hex file was being browsed to get loaded into the PIC MCU.

It is that the computer (On which the example is saved) belongs to Dejan Odabasic :shock:
Keep surprising us Dejan!

Keep up the amazing work guys! You are awesome :D
Best Regards
My hobby is collecting MikroElektronika products.
Gotta catch them all!

Return to “Product Announcements”