Adapter Click board released!

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author
anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#1 Post by anikolic » 24 May 2013 15:25

Forget about wire jumpers. Connect IDC10 boards to you mikroBUS socket with a single click.

Adapter Click™ is a breakout board which simplifies connection of add-on boards with IDC10 headers
to mikroBUS™ socket. There are two ways of establishing connection: using male or female IDC10 connectors.
Both are provided with the package. You may solder male IDC10 header on the top side of Adapter Click™
and connect the add-on board directly or via IDC10 flat cable. In some cases, female header socket is
a better choice. Solder it either on the top, or the bottom side, depending on which one is more
convenient in given circumstances. For example, this board is ideal for connecting ConnectEVE display
to your development board. Each mikroBUS™ line is covered, except AN and RST. There are two
jumpers for SPI/I2C selection and one for selection of power supply range.

We invite you to visit the board webpage for more information.

Yours sincerely,
mikroElektronika
Web Department Manager

Rotary_Ed

Re: Adapter Click board released!

#2 Post by Rotary_Ed » 05 Sep 2013 17:01

Great idea!!!

I am developing some CLICK boards for my EasyPICFusion V7 development board to meet my unique project needs. The CLICK adapter offers another alternative - so I quickly hoped on board.

However, I've encountered a problem. In looking at the pin-out on the CLICK adapter board I notice the right hand headers are annotated as follows:
PWM
INT
TX
RX

The order of the TX and RX on the Click Adapter are the opposite for that listed for the Mikrobus and my EasyPic board which is:
PWM
INT
RX
TX

So I am concerned whether this is an error - some misunderstanding on my part - or what. It would seem they should be the same all referenced to the on-board chip.

Please Clarify

Thanks
Attachments
Mikrobus Pinout
Mikrobus Pinout
Mikrobus.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 22215 times
Click Adapter Pinout
Click Adapter Pinout
Click Adapter Pinout.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 22215 times
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

MaGiK

#3 Post by MaGiK » 05 Sep 2013 19:00

Hello Rotary_Ed :D (<---- Cool name!)

This might be weird, but it's the right point of view. I hope it makes sense to you.

You see? The Mikrobus thinks of itself as the Master and thinks of the Click board as the Slave.
So the MikroBus Tx line should be connected to the Click board Rx line, and of course, the MikroBus Rx line should be connected to the Click board Tx line.

Of course, you can explain it also by using the other approach in which the Click board thinks of itself as the Master and it thinks of the MikroBus as the Slave. You'll get the same connection result :D

What I'm saying in my very weird way is that all the Click boards have the same pin arrangement that you posted early, not just the adapter Click board.

You can always check schematics of other Click boards to be sure of my answer.
Here! I posted few of them for you:

http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/203 ... l_v101.pdf
http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/192 ... manual.pdf
http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/188 ... manual.pdf
http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/196 ... l_v100.pdf

P.S. Saying that the MikroBus is a master or a slave is scientifically incorrect because it's not a device. I should have used the word (MCU) instead of (MikroBus) to make a more precise scientific answer; However, I used the word MikroBus to make you understand it better. I hope it worked.
My hobby is collecting MikroElektronika products.
Gotta catch them all!

Rotary_Ed

#4 Post by Rotary_Ed » 05 Sep 2013 19:45

Thanks for the response, MaGiK

I understand what you are saying and I even considered that myself.

However, why is this apparently done only with the Tx and Rx pins? I understand that the Tx pin on the Master(board) chip needs to go to the RX of the slave and Rx of the Master to TX of the slave. I assume the annotation of the click (mikro) bus pins on my EasyPic7 are referenced to the chip on the board. IF that is correct and if the annotation on the slave (click) board is slave referenced then. Tx on the click board should match Rx on the board bus and that would seem to be the case.

However, why are the MISO and the MOSI pin (SPI) not treated the same way? Would not the MISO (SDO on the board master chip need to be connected to the SDI pin on the slave, would it not? And would not the MOSI (input SDI on the master board need to be connected to the MISO (output pin of the slave)?

My point is that it appears to me that there are at least two directionally sensitive set of pins on the microbus the UART pins and the SPI pins. Yet, it seems they are treated differently in annotation on the Click board.

I can see things like the SCK and SCL pins not mattering because its SCK of master to SCK of slave and same with the SCL.

Ah, well, it's clear that I am the only one confused by this, so will just have to think about it until I convince myself that nothing is amiss :lol:
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

MaGiK

#5 Post by MaGiK » 05 Sep 2013 22:10

Hello again Rotary_Ed :D
Rotary_Ed wrote:However, why are the MISO and the MOSI pin (SPI) not treated the same way? Would not the MISO (SDO on the board master chip need to be connected to the SDI pin on the slave, would it not? And would not the MOSI (input SDI on the master board need to be connected to the MISO (output pin of the slave)?
You won't believe this, but actually they are correct in the way they are!

Let me explain it in my weird way :mrgreen:
You see? Although the (MISO) and (MOSI) labels on the (MikroBus) match those on the Click boards, their functionality is reversed!
How's so? If you look at the schematics of the Click boards that use (MISO) and (MOSI), you'll see that the (MikroBus) is connected in a reversed way to the module that uses these two lines within the Click board.
What I mean is that the (MikroBus) (MOSI) line is connected to the (MISO) line of the module within the Click board (Not that of the Click board itself).
And of course, the (MikroBus) (MISO) line is connected to the (MOSI) line of the module within the Click board (Not that of the Click board itself).

You can view this topic to be sure of my answer:
http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55307

Having clarified that, I think the (MISO) and (MOSI) of either the Click boards or the (MikroBus) should be reversed to avoid having headaches.
However, I think it's too late to do this adjustment, so we'll have to accept this in the same way we accept the direction of the conventional current and the actual current :wink:
Gotta catch them all!

Rotary_Ed

#6 Post by Rotary_Ed » 06 Sep 2013 00:01

Ok, MaGik

I think the light bulb just came on. We have two representation of the microbus, one shown as the Mikrobus pinout standard specification is referenced to the Master/development board. That way the UART pins would be listed as (in order)
RX
TX

The second representation also called Mikrobus is that of the Click board itself and on that board the pin outs are relative to the "slave" or component on the Click board. So the order on that board is:
Tx
Rx so we together end up having

Click Board --- Master board
Tx ---------------->Rx
Rx <--------------- Tx
and of course, this is what is needed for comm signal to flow in the right direction on each pin for the UART.

I did verify that pin annotated MIS0 on the mother board (and Click board) went to pin 52 of the chip (PIC32MX795F512L) which hosts SDI3 (in)
and MOSI on the motherboard(and click board) goes to pin 53 of the chip which hosts SD03 (out), so it appears even on the mother board the bus pin annotation reference is to the Click device at least for the SPI modules.

So What they should have done (in my opinion) is the same with the SPI pins which would have given

MISO (Out of Click Device) ------------------->MOSI (SDI) in from Click board
MOSI (into Click Device) <------------------ MISO (SDO) out from master board

But, I suspect that would have generated even more confusion :? with two pins on the two different boards now having different and opposing names for the same pin - oh, wait! They already did that with Tx and Rx and see the confusion it caused me :lol:

Thanks again for sticking with me MaGiK, appreciate it.
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Rotary_Ed

#7 Post by Rotary_Ed » 06 Sep 2013 14:18

IF I had read the mikrobus specification sheet a bit closer rather than just looking at the pin annotation, I would have noticed that it very specifically states

MISO – SPI SLAVE output line and MOSI – SPI SLAVE Input line

So the absence of the word “SLAVE” on the other pins would tend to imply they are referenced to the development board chip. So RX on pin3 and Tx on pin 4 (right side) click board would indicate relative to the development board chip, so pin 3 on the bus would go to the development board chips Rx pin and Tx to the development board chips TX pin. And so forth for the rest of the pins that do not specifically state "SLAVE".

Thanks for all the clarification - I think I am now clear on it :D .
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

MaGiK

#8 Post by MaGiK » 06 Sep 2013 15:30

Hello Rotary_Ed :D

I'm sorry for not replying earlier :( I was reading the manual of this new product:
http://www.mikroe.com/pic/clicker/
I think two of these are a must have for me to play with wireless communication Click boards :mrgreen:

I'm glad you got a clear picture of your issue :D
I never paid attention for that line too!
I think the lesson here is that reading all the documentations carefully can indeed save a lot of time and effort for all of us!
Gotta catch them all!

Rotary_Ed

#9 Post by Rotary_Ed » 06 Sep 2013 17:27

Yes, I agree the Mikro team certain is on a roll.

I just read up on their new FRAM click board - was not aware of the features of this new type of non-volatile storage technology. It really got me interested because it overcomes the limitations in using FLASH or EEPROM. So going to order a couple.

I normally build test boards to try out new features, but the clicker set will probably reduce that by quite a bit. I can try out proven board (clicker) and software on my EasyPic development board - and then transistion to my own product board.

Now when something does not work on my board, I wonder:
1. Did I design the board wrong
2. Did I damage the chip when soldering it on
3. Have I screwed up the software and that is the problem
4. etc, etc

The Clicker board will eliminate 1 and 2 and possibly 3

Again, enjoyed the exchange and clarification.
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Return to “Product Announcements”