Announcing the development of LIBSTOCK - Your place for code

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author

Re: Announcing the development of LIBSTOCK - Your place for

#91 Post by p.erasmus » 04 Aug 2011 16:57

Thanks to Aleksander clearing my concern regarding the Libraries,
I have also responded to this here http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 50#p162550
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia
--------------------------------------------------------------

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#92 Post by anikolic » 04 Aug 2011 17:40

And as our contribution to Libstock in the promotional period, we will exclusively share some of the important new libraries there, such as the upcoming TCP/IP stack. Libstock is really going to be a great place for code!
Web Department Manager

janni

#93 Post by janni » 04 Aug 2011 22:07

anikolic wrote:I have answered to this on the Library Developer's Discussion Forum...
Eventually, some libraries can be included in the compilers directly,
but maintaining them on Libstock will bring much frequent updates of the libraries,
and you won't have to wait for the new compiler releases to get some new functionality.
All good news :D . Long awaited library forum, mE seeding Libstock with new libs - future looks bright indeed :D .

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#94 Post by anikolic » 05 Aug 2011 10:25

Hi everyone who participated the discussion in the last two days.
Dany, Janni, p.erasmus, stevenindon, luca crotti, we agreed to following changes:
1. We defined Libstock as a place for code, so we will also allow users to post projects, not only libraries.
2. We have changed the "Project" syntax in the main many into the "Code" syntax, to depict this decision
3. We have made it quite clear what the code is about. When you want to post the code, the first step will be to specify what the code is.
4. We have introduced icons for projects, libraries and Visual TFT/GLCD projects, so in "browse code" section each project will have this icon next to the title.
5. We have also introduced colors for each code type, so you can easily spot if the code is a library (light yellow), project (light gray) or visual tft/glcd project (light green)
6. We will introduce filters so you can display only one code type, if you like, which makes things convenient for users.

Any comments on this are welcome. We are listening.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

p.erasmus

#95 Post by p.erasmus » 05 Aug 2011 11:31

Aleksandar

This looks very good and I must say if the community supports this Libstock we could have a very powerfull source of information and support to the users of the mE compilers ,

Regards
Peter
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

CVMichael

#96 Post by CVMichael » 05 Aug 2011 12:41

Love it!

So when can we start using it?

janni

#97 Post by janni » 05 Aug 2011 12:47

I may only repeat after Peter that this looks very good and certainly unambiguous :D .
I thought of 'other code' category, but I guess code snippets, that make a seed for a library rather than constitute one, may always be presented in form of a project.

So now we just wait and see :) - new ideas and observations will certainly come with practical use.

luca crotti

#98 Post by luca crotti » 05 Aug 2011 13:21

Hello,
I think this is a very good job, mE team.
I Will add a fifth step, in which user should describe the hardware used (tor example, custom hw Vs. ME board, or simply if project can be tried out without speciali component.
For example: if you share some tcp/IP stack, make explicit if it is for pic, for encxxx etc band id protocol is USB, spi, iic.
Otherwise user Will be forced TO put this information in the project title .
If the library is for a commercial hw, it is useful to say it in a dedicated place.
I have a project which uses a fat-sd board, so i should declare that:

- communication is serial
- use external module
- module is commercial (so NOT ME, NOT DIY)
- to use code example you need this hardware (i mean that to use sw as it is, enable pin is not in the library mcl file, so you have to leave it like that)
- sw used is xxxxx version yyy should be evident

Toley

#99 Post by Toley » 05 Aug 2011 13:37

Hello anikolic, and all other readers. The long awaited opening of Libstock is a very good news for all Mikroe users.
anikolic wrote:The main reason for this is that with FAT32 placed on Libstock, rather than in compiler itself, we won't have to pursue 100% backward compatibility with existing FAT libraries at all costs.
Can you tell me if FAT32 library is on Libstock and not part of the compiler, will it be open or close source ?
Serge T.
Learning is an endeless process but it must start somewhere!

p.erasmus

#100 Post by p.erasmus » 05 Aug 2011 14:35

luca crotti wrote:Can you tell me if FAT32 library is on Libstock and not part of the compiler, will it be open or close source ?
In my understanding FAT32 will be part of Libstock which can be downloaded and be installed in the compiler so it is yes to both it will certainly be close source as mE still has the responibility for the Library to maintain and support it.
as Aleksandar said in this way when the Library is updated the user does not have to wait for a compiler release to get the new Library
as it is available on Libstock
Which I fine a smart idea !!
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

Toley

#101 Post by Toley » 05 Aug 2011 15:10

Thanks for your answer Peter.

Maybe my question was not well written, but it's only 1 question. I have understand all the advantages of placing it on Libstock. I just want to know if it will be open or close source. And without any lack of respect to you, I would like someone from Mikroe to answer. Thanks.
Serge T.
Learning is an endeless process but it must start somewhere!

p.erasmus

#102 Post by p.erasmus » 05 Aug 2011 15:19

Toley wrote: I would like someone from Mikroe to answer
You are correct only the guys from mE can give the 100% correct answer :D .
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#103 Post by anikolic » 05 Aug 2011 16:05

CVMichael wrote:Love it!

So when can we start using it?
Just a little more patience. We estimate that it will be ready in two weeks, tops.
janni wrote:I may only repeat after Peter that this looks very good and certainly unambiguous :D .
I thought of 'other code' category, but I guess code snippets, that make a seed for a library rather than constitute one, may always be presented in form of a project.

So now we just wait and see :) - new ideas and observations will certainly come with practical use.
Yes, janni, thanks for being involved in the creation of this polishing works.
luca crotti wrote:Hello,
I think this is a very good job, mE team.
I Will add a fifth step, in which user should describe the hardware used (tor example, custom hw Vs. ME board, or simply if project can be tried out without speciali component.
For example: if you share some tcp/IP stack, make explicit if it is for pic, for encxxx etc band id protocol is USB, spi, iic.
Otherwise user Will be forced TO put this information in the project title .
If the library is for a commercial hw, it is useful to say it in a dedicated place.
I have a project which uses a fat-sd board, so i should declare that:

- communication is serial
- use external module
- module is commercial (so NOT ME, NOT DIY)
- to use code example you need this hardware (i mean that to use sw as it is, enable pin is not in the library mcl file, so you have to leave it like that)
- sw used is xxxxx version yyy should be evident
This is all to be stored in the blog. After you upload files, you may explain everything about the code you placed on libstock. You can put images, videos, galleries, links, text, anything you consider important.
Toley wrote:Thanks for your answer Peter.

Maybe my question was not well written, but it's only 1 question. I have understand all the advantages of placing it on Libstock. I just want to know if it will be open or close source. And without any lack of respect to you, I would like someone from Mikroe to answer. Thanks.
We will share FAT32 in MikroElektronika Compiled Library form, and TCP/IP stack is probably going to be open-source.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

stevenindon

#104 Post by stevenindon » 05 Aug 2011 17:25

Anikolic,

Looks awesome! Now everything will be well devided between projects and libraries.

Mikroe, thanks for all the trouble to change in order to make this a great place for us to share. I can't wait for libstock to be ready and so excited to see how the library grows.

All who contributed with much thought and ofcourse with great work from mikroe.. Thank you so very much. :D

Awesome!

Dany

#105 Post by Dany » 05 Aug 2011 19:47

anikolic wrote:Hi everyone who participated the discussion in the last two days.
Dany, Janni, p.erasmus, stevenindon, luca crotti, we agreed to following changes:
1. We defined Libstock as a place for code, so we will also allow users to post projects, not only libraries.
2. We have changed the "Project" syntax in the main many into the "Code" syntax, to depict this decision
3. We have made it quite clear what the code is about. When you want to post the code, the first step will be to specify what the code is.
4. We have introduced icons for projects, libraries and Visual TFT/GLCD projects, so in "browse code" section each project will have this icon next to the title.
5. We have also introduced colors for each code type, so you can easily spot if the code is a library (light yellow), project (light gray) or visual tft/glcd project (light green)
6. We will introduce filters so you can display only one code type, if you like, which makes things convenient for users.

Any comments on this are welcome. We are listening.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Looks fabulous! :D :D :D I think it provides all we need (at least what I could imagine we would need). :D :D :D :D
Congratulations with the approach and the fine web design!
Look forward to use it!
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

Return to “Product Announcements”