New ATtiny and ATMega processors

Post your requests and ideas for the mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

New ATtiny and ATMega processors

#1 Post by jfbron » 02 Oct 2018 22:48

Microchip has new processors in the ATTiny and ATMEGA range, The 0 and the 1 series with UPDI and TPI interfaces for programming.
For the ATTiny a 12 Volt level may be needed, to get acces to the UPDI or TPI interface, the pins can also be used for general I/O.

To program these devices, you'l need Software support (Compiler must support these processors) and a programmer, capable to generate a 12 Volt level.
The current Microchip programmer for ATTiny and ATMEGA processors only supports the SPI interface.
It should be possible to make a Software update to use this version to program using a TPI or UPDI interface, as long as de pins are not used as a general I/O.
(In case of the new ATMEGA 0 series the UPDI pin is dedicated, so a 12 volt is not needed on these devices).
To generate a 12 Volt level signal to get access to the UPDI or TPI interface on the ATTiny devices, a hardware modification may be required.

Since all new processors will use this new UPDI interface, Mikroelektronika must offer a solution, to be able to use the new processors with MicroPascal, MicroBasic op MicroC.
Another simple solution (apart from a new programmer) is to add support for the new PicKit 4 Debugger/Programmer.
This new Microchip device supports almost all Pic and, AtTiny and ATMega devices, including the TPI and UPDI interfaces and 12 volt signals to force access to used pins.

I Prefer the latest solution, this doesn't require new hardware development, it only requires to add support for a PicKit 4 for Debugging/Programming.
The only hardware required are some adapter cables to connect the PicKit 4 to the MikroElektronika development boards.

My Question are simple:

1: Will Mikroelektronika support the new AVR series 0 and 1 processors in the MicroBasic, MicroC and MicroPascal compilers?
2: Will MikroElektronika add support for a PicKit 4, or make its own new debugger/programmer to support these new processors ?
3: When can I expect a (Temporary) solution ? I prefer to use the MikroElektronika Micropascal, but cannot delay my projects for a long period ....

J.F. Bron, Netherlands

petar.suknjaja
mikroElektronika team

Re: New ATtiny and ATMega processors

#2 Post by petar.suknjaja » 03 Oct 2018 17:45

Hi,
1. I will forward this suggestion to the development department. Is there any particular AVR series 0 or 1 processor you would like to use?
2. Most certainly so, when will be supported or when the new programmer will hit the market, still is early to say.
3: I would need to ask our developers about that.

Kind regards,
Petar

jfbron

#3 Post by jfbron » 04 Oct 2018 09:51

I am currently testing samples of the ATmega4809 and the ATtiny814.
The ATtinyst requires a 12 Volt puls to enable the UPDI interface, because it can also be used as a I/O or Reset pin.
The ATgega doesn't need 12 Volt, the UDPI pin is a dedicated pin, it cannot be used for Reset or I/O.
Both processors are supported with the PicKit 4, not by any Mikroelektronika programmer/debugger.

petar.suknjaja
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by petar.suknjaja » 05 Oct 2018 16:34

Hi J.F Bron,

I have been forwarded your suggestion to our developers and it's added to the wishlist.

Kind regards,
Petar

jfbron

#5 Post by jfbron » 28 Jul 2020 09:09

The new processors are now available for over 3 years, and still MIKROE doesn't support the new Avr (Microchip) Tiny and Mega processors, not in the C/Pascal/Basic compilers, and also programming is not supported. The same is true for the "older" PB versions (Atmega168PB, Atmega328PB). Possible alternative programmers (PicKit4) to give a solution for programming devices, that are not supported with the MIKROE programmers, is also not added.

At this moment, only the older AVR processors are supported, it is not possible to use MIKROE for the current processors.

Will MIKROE support the new AVR chips (with UPDI interface) in the near future, or do we have to switch to other compilers and programmers (Amtel Studio / MPLAB) ????

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by stefan.filipovic » 29 Jul 2020 14:29

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this.

It's already forwarded to the developers. They will keep it in mind for future updates.

Unfortunately, at this moment I cannot give you any concrete information about the timeframe of the next release for AVR compilers.

Kind regards,
Stefan Filipović

Return to “Website & Forums Wishlist”