MikroC and Linux

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC.
Author

#31 Post by rwillett » 21 Mar 2009 19:13

I agree that we should engage in a constructive discussion.

So can you let us know when you will release the Linux MikroC compiler? This thread goes back nearly two years and AFAIK we have yet to see a compiler. I don't agree that the software is ***** but since you announced that you are working on a compiler I or rather my wife has had two babies. I suspect having two children is easier than putting together a compiler but hey guys, we're still waiting...

So lets make this constructive, lets hear what the timeline is, what the plans are, when the beta will be out, what are the system requirements, lets know when the Linux compilers will be ready and what they will cost. Two years and two children later, I don't see a lot to show for it.

That's a constructive argument or discussion, we have the interest, the only comments I see from your side are "we're working on it". Thats not a constructive conversation, that's non-communication and avoiding answering the question! So before you start kicking into the people who are getting worried about your lack of response, engage in discussion, let us know whats happening, let us know when something is happening or we might just think Duke Nukem Forever is here for us as well.

Rob.

Donald Shimoda

#32 Post by Donald Shimoda » 21 Mar 2009 19:23

rwillett wrote:I agree that we should engage in a constructive discussion.
AFAIK mikropascal compiler work with wine. I know is not the best thing we can expect, but is something...
rwillett wrote: whats happening, let us know when something is happening or we might just think Duke Nukem Forever is here for us as well.
:lol:
Agreed!
Donald Shimoda.

ivh90

#33 Post by ivh90 » 10 Apr 2009 10:46

i totally agree with rwillett !
GIVE US A TIME LINE !
i stopped using mikro because i switched to ubuntu and it is really annoying booting vista just to program in mikro

Donald Shimoda

#34 Post by Donald Shimoda » 11 Apr 2009 01:24

ivh90 wrote:i totally agree with rwillett !
GIVE US A TIME LINE !
i stopped using mikro because i switched to ubuntu and it is really annoying booting vista just to program in mikro
I annoying and silly. :)

just install Virtualbox and Xp, and forget booting Vosta (spanish people joke, BTW)

HTH
Donald Shimoda.

drake

#35 Post by drake » 23 Apr 2009 09:00

I want to be constructive .... we hope is useful

If MiKroe is working to separate IDE and compiler for the Linux support also consider the Eclipse.

Eclipse is an environment ripe for development that I use for many years to
develop ATMEL microcontrollers. Probably use Eclipse would save at least 50% of the work and provide support to ALL the linux distributions!

regards
Drake

frankiben123

thanks

#36 Post by frankiben123 » 01 Jul 2009 11:10

thanks...nice post
sales tracking software

LGR

#37 Post by LGR » 03 Jul 2009 21:07

We've been all over this before. With proper adaptation, the IDE should run under WINE. Running out-of-the-box fails, or at least it did last time I tried.

But that's not the most serious issue. The major problem is the PICFLASH software and the USB driver. Even if you can run the compiler and generate the hex files, you need linux USB drivers to download. That, I believe, is the sticking point. Microchip does have USB drivers for linux for the 18Fxxxx USB chips used on the development boards, but someone needs to integrate the entire PICFLASH application for linux.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

rwillett

#38 Post by rwillett » 04 Nov 2009 15:35

Gosh, I last posted here Mar 21st 2009, today is Nov 4th 2009 and lets see where we are on the Linux work.

I checked through the thread and on Friday May 25th 2007 at 7:43AM zristic wrote
We are preparing all our compilers for Linux, we will put announcements and expectation dates when the time comes.

So far I can see nothing in the seven months since I last posted nothing, since May 25th 2007, nearly thirty months, nothing.

There is a saying that you should judge people on their actions, not their words.

How should we judge Mikro-C?

Rob

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#39 Post by anikolic » 05 Nov 2009 11:47

There is a saying that you should judge people on their actions, not their words.
Hi,
rwillett, this indeed is not a question of mikroC, but some other important issue. Porting our compilers for Linux is in our project plans, and is one of our achievable goals for the future, and we have already started with preparations for this project. We very much appreciate Linux community and we would like to help all our users that use Linux to have a good and stable tool for microcontrollers on their OS.
So, please try finding a suitable workaround, as people have already suggested. You can use Virtual machine with Windows, or Wine emulator to start the compiler IDE. This provides you the opportunity to use Linux OS and mikroC.

As soon as some progress is made regarding this issue, I will personally take care that everyone is informed on time.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

picnoob

#40 Post by picnoob » 18 Jan 2010 22:01

I can not wait till you release microC in linux.i use windows on my laptop because of MicroC.My only computer with windows. i have tried to get it work in linux using wine but to many errors :cry:

m68k

#41 Post by m68k » 22 Jan 2010 19:48

I would certainly welcome a MikroC patched to work in Wine but would definitely drop it forever should it switch the IDE to Eclipse or anything related to Java as it would make it bigger, bulkier and slower. Please, don't do it.
C'mon, the list of apps now working flawlessly under Wine is nearly huge, from office stuff to first person shooters (http://appdb.winehq.org/) why it's so hard to port an editor and a compiler/debugger?
Also, since MikroC is written in Delphi (good choice, IMO) you could consider using the Lazarus IDE (http://lazarus.freepascal.org/) to make a port easier.

picnoob

Re: MikroC and Linux

#42 Post by picnoob » 26 Mar 2010 22:24

When you are starting to build MicroC on linux ???? On ubuntu it would be nice but sorce file is okey too

ssaguiar

Re:

#43 Post by ssaguiar » 05 Apr 2010 15:32

aleksandar.nikolic wrote:
Hi,
rwillett, this indeed is not a question of mikroC, but some other important issue. Porting our compilers for Linux is in our project plans, and is one of our achievable goals for the future, and we have already started with preparations for this project. We very much appreciate Linux community and we would like to help all our users that use Linux to have a good and stable tool for microcontrollers on their OS.
So, please try finding a suitable workaround, as people have already suggested. You can use Virtual machine with Windows, or Wine emulator to start the compiler IDE. This provides you the opportunity to use Linux OS and mikroC.

As soon as some progress is made regarding this issue, I will personally take care that everyone is informed on time.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Mikroe started to tell it's working in a port of their products to linux in 2007.
Now, we are in 2010.
I use Linux Ubuntu 9.10 to compile for microchip processors, running windows xp inside the VirtualBox (wine doesn't work at all).
I use the editplus 3 to edit source code, ccs compiler to compile and am trying to use the Picflsah to program, using my EasyPic4 board.
Everything works fine (I edit source code using the editplus 3 and compile it without problems). But, when I try to program the processor, using PicFlash, I get lots of errors.
Basically, it seems that there is a problem with the write timeout of the PicFlash. It could wait a little bit more to compare the data written
Hope they will, at least, work in this, maybe having some way to select the timeout time, if aplicable...
It's a shame because the EasyPic developing board are so good.

Sergio
I asked my dad : from where do the babies come from?
He answered me that they are downloaded from internet.

rwillett

Re:

#44 Post by rwillett » 15 Apr 2010 11:24

rwillett wrote:I agree that we should engage in a constructive discussion.

So can you let us know when you will release the Linux MikroC compiler? This thread goes back nearly two years and AFAIK we have yet to see a compiler. I don't agree that the software is ***** but since you announced that you are working on a compiler I or rather my wife has had two babies. I suspect having two children is easier than putting together a compiler but hey guys, we're still waiting...

So lets make this constructive, lets hear what the timeline is, what the plans are, when the beta will be out, what are the system requirements, lets know when the Linux compilers will be ready and what they will cost. Two years and two children later, I don't see a lot to show for it.

That's a constructive argument or discussion, we have the interest, the only comments I see from your side are "we're working on it". Thats not a constructive conversation, that's non-communication and avoiding answering the question! So before you start kicking into the people who are getting worried about your lack of response, engage in discussion, let us know whats happening, let us know when something is happening or we might just think Duke Nukem Forever is here for us as well.

Rob.
It's been nearly a year since I asked about a constructive dialogue for MikroC on Linux. My children are now growing up fast, I suppose there is some chance there will be a compiler before they have children of their own, but based on what I have seen and read to date, I'm not confident.

I have seen a few comments about how things are moving, but surprisingly for a company that wanted a constructive dialogue, absolutely nothing constructive or a dialogue at all.

As an aside I have managed to write a Linux based C-like compuler since Christmas on a part time basis (I get an hour or two on a train each day going to and from work), the output is PostScript as it's needed for a graphics system I'm writing, but I started with a blank emacs screen in January and now have functions, control structures, multi dimensional arrays, local variables, printf working. It is pretty identical to a C compiler thats pre-Ansi, circa 1980'. It's deliberately weekly typed as I want to transpose strings, integers and floats as needed. I'm building the rest of the library up written in itself as that makes more sense than trying to write it in Postscript or assembler. The advantage I suppose I have is that I use Bison, Flex, cpp etc thats all found in Linux. I don't want an IDE as Emacs does what I want. So far it works well. It does not do code optimisation, e.g. loop folding, static code analysis though. A sample is shown below, those of you who know PostScript will recognise the 'system primitives'.

Code: Select all

DrawHorseshoe(x , y , inner_radius , width , start , end , extension)
{
    newpath();
    translate(x , y);
    rotate(270);
    arc(0 , 0 , inner_radius , -end , -start);

if (extension > 0)
    {
        rotate(-start);
        rlineto(0 , extension);
        rlineto(width , 0);
        rlineto(0 , -extension);
        rotate(start);
    }

arcn(0 , 0 , inner_radius + width , -start , -end);

if (extension > 0)
    {
        rotate(-end);
        rlineto(0 , -extension);
        rlineto(-width , 0);
        rlineto(0 , extension);
        rotate(end);
    }

rotate(-270);
    closepath();
    translate(-x , -y);
}
I might think about seeing if I can generate PIC code with it. I wonder who'll finish first :)

Rob

eSilviu

Re: MikroC and Linux

#45 Post by eSilviu » 26 Sep 2010 10:28

So, work on a linux version exist? or idea it's still on the paper?

can we have at least the compiler?. we could use-it one of the many text editors from linux...

Return to “mikroC Wish List”