General discussion on mikroC.
Author
filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: mikroc and pic16f1824

#16 Post by filip » 09 Mar 2012 10:16

Hi,

@LOE,
The support for the 16F1824 will be included in the following release of the mikroProg Suite for PIC that will be released very soon.

@blaurier,
In your ticket you were mentioning 24FJ256GB206, which will be also included in this release.

Regards,
Filip.

LOE

#17 Post by LOE » 09 Mar 2012 12:02

filip wrote:that will be released very soon.
You mean in a few weeks/months. :lol:

It's a good thing I own Proteus and PICkit3. This will be another project finished by using protoboard and other tools rather than EasyPIC... :roll:

Really guys, take it to your management that ME should really, REALLY take more care of supporting already existing hardware and software products in a timely manner. Programmers/debuggers support is especially important. Why wasting your (obviously) stretched resources on releasing new compilers for every possible MCU out there if you cannot properly support what you already sold to existing customers. :?

p.erasmus

#18 Post by p.erasmus » 09 Mar 2012 12:59

@LOE
LOE wrote:Really guys, take it to your management that ME should really, REALLY take more care of supporting already existing hardware and software products in a timely manner. Programmers/debuggers support is especially important. Why wasting your (obviously) stretched resources on releasing new compilers for every possible MCU out there if you cannot properly support what you already sold to existing customers
You should not say this !!!
You will be told as I was told "do not tell us how to run our company" :D
LOE wrote:It's a good thing I own Proteus and PICkit3. This will be another project finished by using protoboard and other tools rather than EasyPIC...
Exactly the reason why we stopped to use mE for comercial projects :D
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia
--------------------------------------------------------------

LOE

#19 Post by LOE » 09 Mar 2012 14:02

p.erasmus wrote:You should not say this !!!
You will be told as I was told "do not tell us how to run our company" :D
I don't care how they run their company as long as it doesn't affect me as a paying customer. For all I care they could hire Eskimos if that would get job done in reasonable time. However, ME support and their response time is often measured in months and even years rather than in days. In comparison I own Proteus and Labcenter's response time is measured in days and often in hours. That's also why I find it ironic that ME is not willing to solve COFF problem in any way because Labcenter people already expressed willingness to cooperate in solving that. What bothers me is hypocrisy of ME - if they would just say openly that they're not willing to support Proteus because they see it as a competitor, I would be fine with that. But all BS like "we are sticking to the standard and we don't give a f**k about anything else" is really annoying. If other compilers don't have problem with Proteus than something is obviously wrong. Simple deduction.

Exactly the reason why we stopped to use mE for comercial projects :D
Every passing day I'm more inclined to just license C18/C30 and get it over with. I can use MPLAB and PICkit 3 through ICD connector (although I would have to buy EasyPIC 7 since version 5 doesn't support it) and forget about using onboard programmer/debugger.

I just wish that ME would finally admit that their main targeted market is hobby market. I don't have a problem with that. Good for them! But at least in that case people would be aware of what they're buying and decide for themselves if they should go with it based on accurate information.

p.erasmus

#20 Post by p.erasmus » 09 Mar 2012 14:33

LOE wrote:Every passing day I'm more inclined to just license C18/C30 and get it over with. I can use MPLAB and PICkit 3 through ICD connector
in my opinion for yourself this is the best thing you can do ! I am talking out of experience :D
We used +/- $1000.00 a month on mE boards and extra boards we are down to $0.0 a month because of these slow support for MCHP compilers
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

LOE

#21 Post by LOE » 09 Mar 2012 20:20

You're right Peter. A professional programmer with whom I worked on several projects in the past told me exactly that. "Go directly to C18. It has stable libraries which are customizable and besides it's Microchip's own compiler so they're making an effort to keep it updated and stable. Also a lot of Microchip's application notes examples are written in it". But at that point in time I was "wiser" than he was and I liked integration of MikroC IDE with development boards and programmer/debugger. I was wrong. :oops:

So, what I'll do is to finish the project I already started in MikroC and then switch over to C18/C30. I also use licensed Proteus and Labcenter provides excellent support within days and often within hours. What is more Proteus accepts MPLAB's COFF and of course MikroC will probably never generate compatible COFF because based on what I saw so far ME percieve Proteus as competition for their hardware development tools (which is of course laughable for plethora of reasons).

So, I'm going to license Microchip's compiler and from ME use only pieces of hardware (with PICkit 3 of course, because it supports virtually all MCHP products unlike ME products).

Peter, could you recommend any good literature on C18/C30? :wink:

p.erasmus

#22 Post by p.erasmus » 09 Mar 2012 20:50

LOE wrote:I also use licensed Proteus and Labcenter provides excellent support within days and often within hours. What is more Proteus accepts MPLAB's COFF
LOE
The best of this is you can install the Proteus MPLAB plug in and you can run Proteus directly in MPLAB :D
LOE wrote:could you recommend any good literature on C18/C30?
at MCHP web page under the C compilers check for the Libraries manuals and down load the application libraries
from here
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en547784
http://www.microchip.com/SoftwareLib.aspx

Hope this helps

Regards
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

LOE

#23 Post by LOE » 09 Mar 2012 21:03

Yes it helps. I was a bit lost on the MCHP website.

Thx Peter! :)

p.erasmus

#24 Post by p.erasmus » 09 Mar 2012 21:07

LOE
if you have any problems with C18 or C30/C32 pop me an mail at p.erasmus@yahoo.de and I will try to help
good luck
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

LOE

#25 Post by LOE » 09 Mar 2012 21:24

Will do, although I'm stubborn as hell and I like to invest a lot of effort finding solutions for myself. I only ask for help if I cannot find solution for a long time or when I'm too "burned out" to see obvious things after looking too hard for too long time. IMO best way to learn anything, although time exhaustive. 8)

BTW - do you have any experience with switched reluctance motors? I plan to start a project which is pretty much similar to SR motor concept when I manage to get some spare time and when I prepare proper schematics. And of course I have to get C18/C30 first.

In any case thanks for the offer. I just might take you on it. :wink:

blaurier

#26 Post by blaurier » 09 Mar 2012 21:28

filip wrote:Hi,

@LOE,
The support for the 16F1824 will be included in the following release of the mikroProg Suite for PIC that will be released very soon.

@blaurier,
In your ticket you were mentioning 24FJ256GB206, which will be also included in this release.

Regards,
Filip.
The 24FJ256GB206 mentioned in the ticket is correct My post was just in response to Loe and i mentioned the Chip from my head which was not completly correct.

regards,

Bas

p.erasmus

#27 Post by p.erasmus » 09 Mar 2012 21:28

LOE wrote:do you have any experience with switched reluctance motors?
This is the only thing I have experience with Electrical Motors and their controls :D

Stay well
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia

LOE

#28 Post by LOE » 18 Mar 2012 21:31

I played a bit more with C18 and I'm not so thrilled. On the other hand I really liked Hi-Tech PICC-18, although it cost an arm and a leg. However, I won't be crying over that because I really liked that it produces very tight and lean code and I'm seriously thinking to license it.

BTW - I just saw that MCHP will be soon releasing new generation of compilers that will supersede C18, C30 and C32 based on Hi-Tech compilers (except for XC32). Their codenames are XC8, XC16 and XC32. What is also interesting is that MPLABX IDE is slowly maturing and I really liked some of its features and versatility.

I think this MCHP presentation is quite interesting https://www.microchip.com/zh_cn/events/ ... 11_WEB.pdf and it might be of interest to ME guys as well. Especially slide No. 31 regarding licensing options. MCHP promised they will be out by the end of March, so I guess we just have to wait and see how successful they are. :wink:

Asad

#29 Post by Asad » 03 Apr 2012 20:08

Interesting discussion, p.erasmus and LOE. How much of a compiled code efficiency and programming/library difference is there between the C18 compilers and Hitech C equivalents? What about transition difficulties between them and MikroC?

Typical promises and unfulfilled commitments from MikroE with no definitive time frame for issue resolution. It's been over an year now. How soon is 'soon'? :roll:

filip
mikroElektronika team

#30 Post by filip » 04 Apr 2012 10:56

Hi,

mikroProg Suite 2.20 will be officially released very soon with all necessary details and explanations provided.
At the moment we have released new dsPIC compiler versions with mikroProg Suite v2.20 included, you may download them from the following location :
http://www.mikroe.com/eng/categories/vi ... compilers/

Also, mikroProg Suite 2.20 will be included in the following release of the PIC compilers.

As soon as we release the mikroProg Suite 2.20 officially, we will make public announcement and all user will be able to download it from our website.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “mikroC General”