"Vcc Voltage Error = 0" when using external power

General discussion on mikroElektronika development boards.
Author

"Vcc Voltage Error = 0" when using external power

#1 Post by lpagano » 26 Apr 2008 23:19

Guys,

I had used my EasyPIC5 normally with USB line providing +5VCC to get the 5 Volts in the board.
One week ago installed an external power supply, according board specified voltages (between 8 and 16 volts AC or DC). My external power supply give me about 12 volts.
So, today, when I tried to programm a PIC with the external power supply connected in the EasyPIC5 appeared the following errors messages:

"Error in call to Device Driver".

After a click in the OK buttom appears a second message:

"Vcc voltage error!!! (0,00 volts)"

And the PIC was not programmed.
I was programming this PIC today and after some programmings happened this. If I use USB line to supply the +5Vcc it works fine.
I replaced the PIC and the computer but the problem using external power still persists.

In the jumper J6 (SUPPLY SELECT) there is no problem with voltage when using both external or USB power in a PIC programme previously. I put a digital multimeter to measure the flow amps in this jumper (in both power supplies, about 49mA during start up) and the yellow USB LINK led in the programmer does not light when the current flows through the multimeter using both supplies. If I remove the multimeter, but just using the +5Vcc from USB line, the board works fine.

Another point is that, when I turn on the board using the external power supply, the USB LINK led sometimes lights (long time to light), sometimes does not light. If it is lit when using the external power supply and I try to programm, it turns off and the messages above appears, but the +5Vcc is there in all integrated circuits of the board.

Does anyone already had the same problem and got fixed?

Copy'nPaste

#2 Post by Copy'nPaste » 27 Apr 2008 18:56

The question is, can your power supply handle the current ?
And it better not be one of these poorly regulated wallwart power supplies.
Did the regulater IC get hot?
If not, the power supply probably cannot supply the required current.
Measuring the current introduces its own problems, if it is a cheapie multimeter, the internal resintance is too high :wink:
"Copy'nPaste"

lpagano

#3 Post by lpagano » 28 Apr 2008 02:18

Copy'nPaste,

Today I used another power supply and the board worked fine. I could conclude that the problem was the power supply.
This original power supply was made by myself, just to this use. It has a transformer, a bridge rectifier and a capacitor of 3300uF, not regulated and worked good for about 1 week.
The multimeter I told is not a professional, but a nice brand.
I will verify what occurred in the power supply, maybe replacing the transformer (200mA) to a bigger one or the capacitor (less ripple).

Thanks!

Copy'nPaste

#4 Post by Copy'nPaste » 28 Apr 2008 10:06

maybe replacing the transformer (200mA)
Hah, there is your problem :twisted:
You need at least 500mA, just to program.
If you want to drive all the LED's and displays, aim for about 1500mA.
And be better to use a regulated supply too, MANY circuits on the 'net, how to boost the current of your average fixed voltage regulator.
"Copy'nPaste"

Return to “Development Boards”