ASM coe using BTSS and BTSC

Beta Testing discussion on mikroBasic PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

ASM coe using BTSS and BTSC

#1 Post by RexSon » 01 Feb 2011 13:24

When I run the simple programme below the debugger freezes when the condition is met. This seems to apply for both BTSS and BTSC.
In the example below at the start bit 0 of Az is set to 1 (AZ=0X0001) so the goto AA instruction is implemented but when the second pass is started bit 0 of Az is 0 so the debugger should skip "Goto AA" but it just freezes.
I am running the Basic compiler for dsp30/33 PIC24H version 4.60 (The latest I think) and compiling for P24HJ64GP502

============ Demo Code =========================
program ASM_TesT_BTSC

' Declarations section
Dim Az as word
main:
Az=1
Begin:
asm
Btsc _Az,#0x0
goto AA
Goto bb
AA:
Nop
BB:
Nop
End asm
Az=AZ+1
Goto begin
end.

========= End Demo Code =============

Am I doing something incorrectly or is this a bug?

slavisa.zlatanovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: ASM coe using BTSS and BTSC

#2 Post by slavisa.zlatanovic » 09 Feb 2011 10:39

Hi!

Sorry for the late response.
I've reproduced the issue you've reported.
It is a bug. We'll fix it in the next compiler release.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards
Slavisa

RexSon

#3 Post by RexSon » 10 Feb 2011 10:52

Hi

Do you have a list of known bugs in the simulator?
Clearly it is a worry if the debug process does not reflect the behaviour "in the chip".
I can usually build work arounds but that usually produces several lines of code which it is often hard to go back and rework when the simulator bug is fixed and what if the work around contains a line of code that the simulator can not work with?
A list would be most helpful.
Regards

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by zristic » 10 Feb 2011 10:53

The list is so dynamic that it is impossible to make it up to date.
It is getting smaller, anyway.

RexSon

#5 Post by RexSon » 10 Feb 2011 12:42

Dear Zristic and the rest of your colleagues

A bug list is not an admission of failure but an acceptance that we live in a bounded universe where mistakes/issue/problems/Ooopses DO happen - welcome to the real world.

Surely you must have a list of bugs in order to work on them, or else how would you know that they are getting less.
Please let your (paid up) customers have a chance of avoiding them or working with them. Without a published list we are all (paid up customers) working in the dark and may well all be struggling with a an undisclosed bug (MS speak for a feature!!!) that Mikro know is a problem.

That can NOT be right.

I know from experience that what ever and whose ever compiler you use there will be bugs. Your product range moves quickly across a wide spectrum so I would expect there to be many many bugs (unless you have an army of debuggers!) this is NOT a cause for shame - its life in the real world.
At least give your customers a chance, the worst advert for any software (unless you are MS) is a army of disgruntled customers complaining about poor support, inadequate documentation and bug ridden software.

Waiting till the next fix is NOT an answer!

Share your bugs and ask for help with the documentation (Wiki?) you will be suprised how well your customers will respond.
Customers should not be like mushrooms:

Kept in the dark and fed on ..... (too rude to print here!! (;-).

Kind regards

Return to “mikroBasic PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 Beta Testing”