A question about a description about PIC on mikroe website

General discussion on mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

A question about a description about PIC on mikroe website

#1 Post by R1S8k » 17 Jun 2018 05:47

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place for my question but I didn't know which forum to choose, so I thought this one is most suitable.

I'm reading through programming PIC in C in mikroe website, then I ran into this description about PIC instruction execution time, in the following quotation:
INSTRUCTION EXECUTION TIME
All instructions are single-cycle instructions. The only exception may be conditional branch instructions (if condition is met) or instructions performed upon the program counter. In both cases, two cycles are required for instruction execution, while the second cycle is executed as an NOP (No Operation).
On this page:
https://www.mikroe.com/ebooks/pic-micro ... ontrollers

My question is about this specific part:
In both cases, two cycles are required for instruction execution, while the second cycle is executed as an NOP (No Operation).

1. What does it mean by in "both case"?
Does "both cases" mean, in case if condition is met and the second case if it's not?

2. Which case it runs "NOP" in the second cycle? So what is run actually in the first cycle, and where is this case of running "NOP" in conditional operations or or instructions performed of program counter?

Thanks,

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: A question about a description about PIC on mikroe websi

#2 Post by filip » 29 Jun 2018 16:14

Hi,
1. What does it mean by in "both case"?
Does "both cases" mean, in case if condition is met and the second case if it's not?
This means that the conditional branch instructions (if condition is met) or instructions performed upon the program counter have the two cycle operation.
2. Which case it runs "NOP" in the second cycle? So what is run actually in the first cycle, and where is this case of running "NOP" in conditional operations or or instructions performed of program counter?
According to this description, they always runs NOP in the second cycle; the first cycle is dedicated to the very instruction execution.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “Website & Forums General Discussion”