Notice of omission on TFT Proto 4.3" product page.

General discussion on mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

Notice of omission on TFT Proto 4.3" product page.

#1 Post by Megahurts » 11 Sep 2014 06:57

Hi mE Team,

I have an observation of the new TFT Proto 4.3" products web page, if this (and I'm thinking it is) TFT screen
is supported by V-TFT, there is no mention of that on the products web page.
It says supported by all compilers, but no mention of Visual-TFT?
Probably should add a statement that it is, if it is, so customers don't have to assume or guess or question.
Or a statement saying supported in future update of V-TFT.

I would also like to suggest that you add a product compatibility chart (soon, before the product count increases a lot more), that shows for example:
All add on HW down left column and main line development boards/systems across top row and operating voltages requirements/compatibility row/column included.
And columns or 'compatible with' indicators to the Software products should also be shown.

With the wealth of offerings you present to us, it is getting tricky to determine what works with what, and this being said by a frequent customer that tries to keep up on what there is to work with.

It would help us a lot I think, and future customers looking over the products trying to decide what to buy.

Just a helpful suggestion, Robert.
Last edited by Megahurts on 13 Sep 2014 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

SW: mP for PIC|mB for PIC-dsPIC-PIC32|Visual-TFT|

MaGiK

Re: Notice on TFT Proto 4.3" product page.

#2 Post by MaGiK » 12 Sep 2014 11:10

Hello Megahurts :D

I'd like to hear from MikroElektronika as well on this topic and your suggestions :D
However, in case I'm allowed to post a reply before that of MikroElektronika, then this is what I'd post:
Megahurts wrote:I have an observation of the new TFT Proto 4.3" products web page, if this (and I'm thinking it is) TFT screen is supported by V-TFT, there is no mention of that on the products web page.
I believe it's supported by V.TFT :D
Its controller (SSD1963) is mentioned in the list of supported displays in the specification tab of V.TFT, which is linked below:
http://www.mikroe.com/visualtft/specification/

Same thing applies to EasyTFT display by the way, which is supported by V.TFT, but only mentioned in the specification tab of V.TFT, and not in the webpage of the display itself :shock:
Megahurts wrote:I would also like to suggest that you add a product compatibility chart (soon, before the product count increases a lot more), that shows for example: All add on HW down left column and main line development boards/systems across top row and operating voltages requirements/compatibility row/column included.
This would be very helpful! A little bit troublesome for creation, but I do believe that it will bring major future benefits, so I agree with you.
Megahurts wrote:With the wealth of offerings you present to us, it is getting tricky to determine what works with what, and this being said by a frequent customer that tries to keep up on what there is to work with.
My solution to this problem: I buy everything, then later I think of what works with what :lol:
I know it's not efficient, but it's my way since I knew MikroElektronika :mrgreen:
However, your suggestion will make my wallet stop its diet, so I'd be very grateful if it got accepted :lol:

Keep up your great work Megahurts :D
Best Regards
My hobby is collecting MikroElektronika products.
Gotta catch them all!

Megahurts

Re: Notice of omission on TFT Proto 4.3" product page.

#3 Post by Megahurts » 13 Sep 2014 06:44

Thanks for the endorsement MaGiK, I really think a compatibility chart is needed and would be a step to having the product information that is crucial for customers "informed" decisions on what to purchase for use with what.

But I would still not purchase this product until mE answers my first question. Is it "fully" supported in V-TFT?

I know the SSD1963 display controller has been on the supported list for some time now, but that does not
mean this HW configuration and/or its serial TP controller IC has been actually added as a pre-made profile in V-TFT or
the products "manual" (I have decided to start calling them "brochures" now, more accurate, a true "Product Manual" they are not! :x ),
has detailed instructions on how to connect and configure the HW with configuration settings needed in V-TFT to make it work the first time attempted.

I'll bet you $100 the product brochure has no information for its usage with V-TFT. I have not looked at
the brochure yet either, really. Don't need to, to think with confidence I'd win that bet. :roll:
If it says "supported by V-TFT" only :shock: , and nothing else in the brochure, I'll pay you $10, if you take the bet
without having looked over its brochure yet yourself. 8) :?: :lol:
(or we can bet with Click boards if you'd like and give your wallet a surprise dinner, win or lose? :lol: )

Have a good evening and no peeking, Robert.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

MaGiK

#4 Post by MaGiK » 13 Sep 2014 14:40

Yes Megahurts, I agree with you on the need for the compatibility chart :D

However, I wouldn't call the current "product manual" as "brochure" since they aren't very brief.
In my point of view, a general "brochure" should be very brief, while a general "product manual" should be very detailed.
I think MikroElektronika's product manuals are somewhere in between when it comes to details.
I'm not complaining about them. I actually like them, but they're not perfect, I'll agree with you on that :D

Unfortunately, I cannot accept your bet since I've already read the documents on the first day of the release :mrgreen:
And yes, you'd have won the bet :lol:

Ohhh ... one last thing regarding the bets, I'd rather pay double the price of a Click board rather than losing the Click board. They're way too precious man!

Your bet reminded me that I wanted to ask MikroElektronika team about gifting.
Is it possible that I buy some products, but have them shipped to another member of the forum, whose address is unknown to me?
MikroElektronika, Please answer my question after answering those of Megahurts. I'd like to know if I can do it in the furure ... far future probably :lol:

Best Regards
Gotta catch them all!

MaGiK

#5 Post by MaGiK » 08 Oct 2014 16:04

Hello Megahurts :D

I've just realized that there was a product selector tool that can be considered a little similar to what you've requested in this thread, but it seems that it was left out since a very long time. :(
Here's the link in case you're interested:
http://www.mikroe.com/products/selector/

And look :arrow: ... SQUIRREL!

Best Regards
Gotta catch them all!

Megahurts

#6 Post by Megahurts » 09 Oct 2014 09:27

Oh,

Thanks, I obviously missed that squirrel. :oops:
Never used it, but have a faint recollection, now, that it existed. Also adding to useful links in the road test review.

At least, I'd still like to see a overview usage guide that covers any (and all) common electrical considerations, solutions and dangers for the Clicks.
(something that would eliminate any wrong assumptions to be easily made due to sufficient details missing?)

It is hard to nail down exactly the problem description I guess, except to say that broadly, there is a small lack of (sometimes critical) technical details available maybe?
Mostly with the add on offerings and compatibility with the different possible host products.

Every 5V Click that can "potentially" be used with 3.3V hosts, needs details on proper implementation coverage and visa verse.
If the boards designers implemented solutions on any 'modules', I'd really like to "know" they are there, and operational parameters usable.
Datasheet parameters for any major semiconductors on a board, are only valid to the device if the implementation of it on the board has altered anything from specs available.
Cannot learn or instruct correctly a devices features or functions if deviations are not made known to the user or if operation options are (or not) implemented because-?

Not sure if I can or have framed it right still, Robert.

Return to “Website & Forums General Discussion”