Beginner Questions: Part 1

General discussion on mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

Beginner Questions: Part 1

#1 Post by osours » 03 Dec 2013 21:34

Under this title I would like put some upcoming questions as beginner of mikroC Pro for PIC.

Teaching tools
--------------
"PIC Microcontrollers - Programming in C" seems to be a nice book, especially for beginners like me. Unfortunately it is sold out. I have seen that you publish it on the internet, however, I prefer a hardcopy of the book (or as e-book or pdf-File). My question is: Do you plan a reprint of the book, or even a new extended and updated edition?

Do you have any introductory videos on youtube?

IDE
----
Under “Project Settings” Build/Debugger Type you suggest in the Help the combinations “Release and Software” or “ICD Debug and mikroICD”. The first combination enables the PIC software simulation on the PC and the second one is the In-Circuit Debugger. However I found out that the combinations “Release and mikroICD” or “ICD Debug and Software” are allowed too. Is this a bug? If not could you explain what these combinations do (I could not find anything in the Help) or give me a hint where to read about in the Help.

Updating new Version
---------------------
There is a new Version of mikroC Pro for PIC (actually I have 6.0.0.0). Trying to update to version 6.0.1.0 ends always with the message “Download Error. Server connection problem”. Is this because I am not registered yet?

My PC runs under Windows 8.1.

Many thanks in advance for answering my questions and best regards

Urs

DigitalDunc

Re: Beginner Questions: Part 1

#2 Post by DigitalDunc » 05 Dec 2013 21:46

I can tell you that I couldn't get my copy to update from 6.0.0 until I ran it as administrator. I'm running it under Windows 7 64 bit on my Desktop and sometimes Windows 7 32 bit on my pokey little netbook. I hope this helps.
Why use a half a dozen transistors when 3 billion will do. :-)

osours

#3 Post by osours » 06 Dec 2013 21:29

Many thanks!
It does not help. Somehow, the program does not react anymore correctly, after I klicked on NO or YES the message error window. The blue wheel of Windows 8 contious to run when within the compiler window.
I wait till I get my USB-stick-key (probably next week) to run the program under licence. I hope this will help!

Regards
Urs

marina.petrovic

#4 Post by marina.petrovic » 09 Dec 2013 16:13

Hi,

Regarding problem that you have with compiler update:
You should be able to update your compiler, regardless that you have the demo version of compiler.
Please, try to first open your compiler like administrator (right click -> Run as Administrator),
and then Help - Check for Updates, like DigitalDunc already suggested.

Also, please, check if you have some antivirus or/and firewall that can interfere into communication with server.

Like you already mention, "PIC Microcontrollers - Programming in C" is obsolete,
so, in this moment, you can read the book only from our Website.
We are certainly considering to publish some similar book in the future,
but I can't make any promise regarding time.

Regarding Build/Debugger Type option in compiler:
By selecting the offered options you can choose how your project will be build,
in Release or ICD Debug mode and do you want to use Software or mikroICD Debugger.
If you choose ICD Debug Build type and Software Debugger, your project will be build in ICD Debug mode,
but software simulator will be open when you try to run debugger (F9).

If you choose Release Build type and mikroICD Debugger option, your project will be build in Release mode,
so if you start debugger (F9), compiler will throw an error.

Best regards,
Marina

osours

#5 Post by osours » 10 Dec 2013 21:56

Thank you very much Marina! The "right click -> Run as Administrator" did the job and the compiler was updated. The post of DigitalDunc I understood in the way that I have to login as administrator and then to do the update what failed again in my case. However the right click approach helped now!

Thank you very much for answering the other questions too!

I wait now for the key and boards.

Best regards
Urs

Return to “Website & Forums General Discussion”