Graphical configuration of the port pins and peripherals

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

Graphical configuration of the port pins and peripherals

#1 Post by IngSieb » 07 Jun 2013 15:14

Hi,

I think it would be a great enhancment for all the MikroE Compilers to have a tool inside the IDE
for graphical configuration the behavior of the port pins and peripherals, with outcoming automated
source code that can be copied into the projects source code.

Background:
Often, I've an idea for a project to realize it on my own universal hardware
where the port pins are not specially dedicated for each project to the external hardware.
So you can say the hardware could be a bread board with a 144-pin dsPic Controller, or something else.
At the beginning of the project I have to do the work of port mapping an configuring the peripherals.
In practise I have to write the code for each pin on a port (is it a input or output), I have to write the code
for the peripherals (I want a SPI, a CAN-BUS, a PWM, all the Timers, etc.).
Especially for the peripherals I have to think about the right configuration (e.g. the bittiming for CAN-Bus) in combination
with the oscillator frequency.
So, I've to read the Help for using the proper funktion and to understand the parameters (it could be one year
ago where I've used the CAN-Bus, PWM, SPI or something else).
I think the time I've to spend for the configuration is often much bigger than the time for writing the
source code for the core features (e.g. to send a CAN message or Timer controlled LED flashing).
In conclusion it would be great to have a tool that moves all this work to another abstraction layer.
This could be a GUI controlled tool with intuitive input behavior.
Some years ago Microchip has included such a tool in his MPLab-IDE, the Visual Device Intializer.
But since MPLAB IDE v8.46 it is not longer supported.
See:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... B%2044.pdf

My whishes for a GUI-Controlled-Configuration tool (GCC):
1. Tool starts with starting the project definitions.
2. The GCC can be started any time in the project for modifications and is located where all the other tools are.
3. The GCC shows the pinout picture of the Pic that is defined in the project.
4. I can double click on each pin (or with multiple selection) to define its behavior (input or output, activate Pull-Ups, etc.) and
to give a name to the pin (e.g. RB2=CAN_TXD).
The GCC shows me if a pin is defined or not (e.g. green=defined, red=undefined).
Additionnaly, it shows graphical little symbols for Pull-Up's and little arrows for the signal path (input and output arrows),
and it shows the name for the pin.
All this is usefull for overview and documentation.
5. I can define wich peripheral I want to use (Timers, PWM, etc.) and define the dedicated port pin if possible.
Also the configuration of the peripherals can done without understanding and knowing the formulas to calculate
the parameters. But a context sensitive help should show me the explanation of the parameters and an in deepth
description with all the formulas.
6. The GCC checks online for collisions between peripheral configuration and pin behavior.
7. I can save the complete configuration as a template for other projects and I can copy or print the graphic of the
processor with the configuration items for documentation.
Remark: A printed image of the processor with all the configuration wich are checked for errors by the GCC would be
very usefull to design the schematic for the hardware (wich pin is for PWM, for UART, etc.).
Normally I've to jump between schematic and datasheet to find out wich pin is for ADC, PWM, etc..
This speeds up the design process and can also eliminate some hardware errors.
8. After pressing the button 'Generate configuration code' all the necessary code appears in a window for cut'n copy it
to my code.
Additionnally, there appears a comment text for the port mapping which can I copy to my code (e.g. RB2=Out=CANTX).
With the method of cut'n copy the code I've the freedom to change it for special things or if there is a bug in the GCC.
Also, I can paste the config code on any location in my code (e.g. in a function called PicInit())

The reason why I'm moved from MPlab to MikroE is the easy to use IDE and the feature rich libraries in combination with
the excellent hardware tools.
Also the tools inside the IDE (e.g. Hex Calculator etc.) helps to speed up programming.
In addition a GUI-Controlled-Configuration Tool would really increase programming speed and valency of the IDE.

Best regards
IngSieb

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: Graphical configuration of the port pins and peripherals

#2 Post by filip » 10 Jun 2013 08:54

Hi,

Thank you for your extensive elaboration on this subject.
I have read it very carefully and this is indeed an excellent suggestion which will enhance the compiler usability.

I will discuss this with our developers, I'm sure they will treat this seriously.

If you have more suggestions, feel free to post them.

Regards,
Filip.

IngSieb

#3 Post by IngSieb » 21 Jan 2014 12:23

Hi Filip,

"I will discuss this with our developers, I'm sure they will treat this seriously."

do you have any new informations about this topic?
Is there something in planing for the future?

Regards,

IngSieb

filip
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by filip » 22 Jan 2014 14:42

Hi,

This is on the wish list and currently I don't have any new information.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 Wish List”