LvPicFLASH beta 1.95

Beta Testing discussion on mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24.
Author

LvPicFLASH beta 1.95

#1 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 11 Dec 2009 17:15

this may sound out of place,

coming from mikroC and mikroC pro for pics and not having an Lv flash tool it has never been a concern or interest to me to have the Lv18PicFlash installed option.

So by habit I naturally omitted to install the LvPicFLASH when offered during the install of dsPIC/PIC24 compiler. Which obviously now I realise its needed with this compiler for PIC24 etc.

1 point I would like to offer

1. Perhaps expand the LvPicFlash name to include at least Lv24PicFlash, or alert saying required for PIC24 etc.

also there is nothing to say that to install later the installer program can be found at C:\...mikroC PRO for dsPIC\programmers\LvPicFlash installer

this may lead people to perform a complete compiler install unnecessarily. i had an idea i would find it there through having used the other compilers.

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#2 Post by anikolic » 14 Dec 2009 13:21

Hi,
Thank you for your proposals, and I would like to explain shortly the situation. "LV" in LvPICFlash stands for "low-voltage", and this particular software is used in dsPIC33 and PIC24 series. Since DSP engine is abandoned by Microchip, only real dsPIC microcontrollers are dsPIC30F family. They are supported in dsPICFlash. For PIC16,12,10,18, there was only PICFlash in the beginning. Since Microchip introduced PIC18FJ family, with different programming and other power supply specifications, we have made development systems to meet those standards, and introduced Lv18PICFlash accordingly.
Aside from all this, we are currently developing a single program that will integrate all those flavors of PIC and dsPIC chips and will be able to program all Microchip microcontrollers. This program is planned to be released somewhere in 2010, after lots of testing and fine tuning, so I cannot promise any specific dates.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

OT

Re:

#3 Post by OT » 16 Mar 2010 12:58

aleksandar.nikolic wrote:Hi,
Thank you for your proposals, and I would like to explain shortly the situation. "LV" in LvPICFlash stands for "low-voltage", and this particular software is used in dsPIC33 and PIC24 series. Since DSP engine is abandoned by Microchip, only real dsPIC microcontrollers are dsPIC30F family.
What do you mean by this, the DSP engine is present in the many 33F not only the 30F as we know. You mean to say is that they did not include it in PIC24? Someone less informed could think the dsPICs are on their way out which apparently is not the case... different flavors for different purposes.
..snip..
Aside from all this, we are currently developing a single program that will integrate all those flavors of PIC and dsPIC chips and will be able to program all Microchip microcontrollers. This program is planned to be released somewhere in 2010, after lots of testing and fine tuning, so I cannot promise any specific dates.
This sounds interesting. Are we going to see programmers (hardware) that are capable of doing multiple series of chips too? As I vaguely recall, there was previously technical problem with fitting programmer firmware for multiple chips into the same programmer due to limited program memory in USB-capable chips. Now with the USB capable PIC24s etc. this should not be the case any longer. The LV24-33A board looks strikingly similar to the LV-32MX board, probably only differing by firmware (?)... both presently out of stock BTW.

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

Re: LvPicFLASH beta 1.95

#4 Post by anikolic » 16 Mar 2010 14:05

Code: Select all

What do you mean by this, the DSP engine is present in the many 33F not only the 30F as we know. You mean to say is that they did not include it in PIC24? Someone less informed could think the dsPICs are on their way out which apparently is not the case... different flavors for different purposes.
I am ashamed by my post, I must admit. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I must have been very distracted when I wrote that. The correct version of text was supposed to sound like this:
Since dsPIC30F family uses 5V, they are supposed to be programmed using dsPICProg and dsPICFlash software.
This sounds interesting. Are we going to see programmers (hardware) that are capable of doing multiple series of chips too?
Exactly. You will be able to program PIC10xxxx, PIC12xxxx, PIC16xxxx, PIC18xxxx, dsPIC30Fxxxx, dsPIC33xxxxxxxxx, PIC24xxxxxxxxx, PIC32xxxxxxxxx and to define the voltage levels that needed to be created for each of those architectures. It's going to be an eye-candy software too, I must say (don't tell anyone that I told you :D)

We are expecting to have this new UniPIC programmer available soon, probably in about a month period, but don't take my word for it.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

OT

#5 Post by OT » 17 Mar 2010 01:08

This is great news. :D :D I bet this is going to make you sell more compilers, when the threshold for trying a different series of chips is reduced. Are we going to see development boards with multi-chip series-capability of the programmers too?

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by anikolic » 17 Mar 2010 13:46

Hi,
Are we going to see development boards with multi-chip series-capability of the programmers too?
Well, not for now, a lot of boards are already based on current programmers, so we do not want to loose compatibility, but maybe we'll see something in the future. I also forgot to mention that new UniPIC will have Bluetooth module, so you will be able to program your chips without hard-wiring the programmer to the computer. You will be able to develop the code from one place, and design the device and program it from another physically separate, remote location.

Hardware guys really did great job on this one, my opinion.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

OT

#7 Post by OT » 06 Jul 2010 01:19

Curious what happened to the UNIPIC programmer?
Have not seen any announcement so far.

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#8 Post by anikolic » 06 Jul 2010 14:14

OT wrote:Curious what happened to the UNIPIC programmer?
Have not seen any announcement so far.
Hello OT,

Unfortunately, there has been a delay in delivery of ordered parts and PCBs from our suppliers. This has nothing to do with us directly, all of our schedules are shifted for some time. I have talked to the guys in our Hardware Department, and there have been some promising signs that the delivery will take place within 30-40 day period. So, August should be the month with promising new programmer.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

OT

#9 Post by OT » 18 May 2011 01:34

The UniPic programmer seems to keep getting delayed, and each time it is promised "in two months" etc.
I am curios as to what the holdup is? I have hard to believe that while all other kind of new boards are getting released, there are problems with the PCB for such a relatively simple thing as a programmer (I have had a project needing a standalone 30F programmer stalled for 1 year now, as I was awaiting the UniPic programmer, and each time asked it was going to be released very soon... so I did not want to go for a programmer that just can do one series of chips).

There has been talk about a PIC32 programmer too that also seems to get delayed - not sure if it is the same as the UNIPIC programmer. The delays must be hurting sales, as PIC32 programmers using the MMB boards presently will have to go for the PICkit.

There is a thread in the development boards section also asking about the UniPic programmer that remains unanswered.

Return to “mikroC PRO for dsPIC30/33 and PIC24 Beta Testing”