8-CHANNEL USB SERVO CONTROLLER! GET OUT YOUR 18F2550's!

General discussion on mikroBasic.
Author

8-CHANNEL USB SERVO CONTROLLER! GET OUT YOUR 18F2550's!

#1 Post by xor » 04 Jul 2006 16:49

EDIT: The following mB source code for the main program is not compatible with mB V5.0, but will work fine with V4.03. Further along in this thread you will find the source code that will work with V5.0.

Here it is! Control 8 servo's with your PC and an 18F2550 PIC using USB. It uses the USB_HID library and is built around the HID example provided in the mikroBASIC folder for the 18F2550. You will need my Visual Basic program to run on the PC side.

The program runs 8 independent 50Hz servos from PORTB with a resolution of 256 steps! The servo PWM on-time routine takes a mere 2200us. The rest of the time out of a 20ms period is totally for the pleasure of the programmer to do what he likes with the PIC.

Below is the mikroBASIC sourcecode including the sourcecode parts you need to set in the "USBdsc.pbas" file which must be included in the same folder as the main mB code if you intend to compile. The "USBdsc.pbas" can be found in the mikroBASIC Examples folder for the 18F2550 HID example.

PC SERVO CONTROLLER PROGRAM
HEX FILE (for those of you who don't have the registered version of mB)

Required values for these constants in the USBdsc.pbas module:

Code: Select all

const HID_INPUT_REPORT_BYTES      = 1               
 const HID_OUTPUT_REPORT_BYTES     = 8            

const DeviceDescr as byte[USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_LEN*2] = (
    USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_LEN, 0,           ' bLength               - Length of Device descriptor (always 0x12)
    USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE, 0,          ' bDescriptorType       - 1 = DEVICE descriptor
    0x00, 0,                                ' bcdUSB                - USB revision 2.00 (low byte)
    0x02, 0,                                '                                           (high byte)
    0x00, 0,                                ' bDeviceClass          - Zero means each interface operates independently (class code in the interface descriptor)
    0x00, 0,                                ' bDeviceSubClass
    0x00, 0,                                ' bDeviceProtocol
    EP0_PACKET_SIZE, 0,                     ' bMaxPacketSize0       - maximum size of a data packet for a control transfer over EP0
    0x34, 0,                                ' idVendor              - Vendor  ID (low byte)
    0x12, 0,                                '                                    (high byte)
    0x01, 0,                                ' idProduct             - Product ID (low byte)
    0x00, 0,                                '                                    (high byte)
    0x01, 0,                                ' bcdDevice             - ( low byte)
    0x00, 0,                                '                         (high byte)
    0x01, 0,                                ' iManufacturer         - String1
    0x02, 0,                                ' iProduct              - String2
    0x00, 0,                                ' iSerialNumber         - ( None )
    0x01, 0                                 ' bNumConfigurations    - 1
)
Main program sourcecode:

Code: Select all

'***************************************************************************************
'*                  18F2550 PIC USB_HID 50Hz PWM SERVO CONTROLLER                      *
'*                   by W. Schroeder alias "xor" -- July 4, 2006                       *
'*                                                                                     *
'*  Compiled with mikroBASIC 4.03 and demonstrated on EasyPIC3 Development Board       *
'*  Uses mikroBASIC USB_HID Library and needs "USBdsc.pbas" and "HID_Constant.pbas"    *
'*      Also required is the Visual Basic Demo program included with this file.        *
'*                                                                                     *
'*   Configuration settings are same as the mikroBASIC HID example for the 18F2550     *
'*   with an 8MHz crystal oscillator.                                                  *
'*   The EasyPIC3 board facilitates an easy connection to the PIC via USB and was      *
'*   chosen to demonstrate this project.  The 18F2550 uses an 8MHz crystal oscillator. *
'* Internally, the PLL is set to bump up the PIC's speed to 48MHz to enable USB comm.  *
'*       For the purposes of this demo all output pins of PORTB are utilized.          *
'*          Servo0 is PORTB.0, Servo1 is PORTB.1, ......, Servo7 is PORTB.7            *
'* The range of PWM on-time is 800us to 2200us analogous with a resolution of 0 to 255 *
'*  A value of 127/128 is considered 50% of servo rotation with an on-time of 1500us   *
'*            USB connections to the 18F2550 are D+ = RC5 and D- = RC4                 *
'***************************************************************************************
include "USBdsc"

dim T0 as word absolute $FD6
dim old as byte
dim servoport as ^byte
dim _s0,_s1,_s2,_s3,_s4,_s5,_s6,_s7 as byte
dim
    wrbuf    as  byte[2]
    servo    as  byte[9]
    wr_adr   as  word

sub procedure delay_810us
  delay_us(810)
end sub

sub procedure interrupt
  If INTCON.TMR0IF = 1 Then
    servoport^ = 255               ' turn on all servos
    _s0 = servo[0] + 1             ' set up temp variables
    _s1 = servo[1] + 1
    _s2 = servo[2] + 1
    _s3 = servo[3] + 1
    _s4 = servo[4] + 1
    _s5 = servo[5] + 1
    _s6 = servo[6] + 1
    _s7 = servo[7] + 1
    old = 0
    FSR0L = servoport
    FSR0H = hi(servoport)
    delay_810us
    TMR0L = 0
    For old = 0 to 255             ' manage 256 positions
          ASM
             movlw     0
             decfsz    main_global__s0, 1,0
             iorlw     1
             decfsz    main_global__s1, 1,0
             iorlw     2
             decfsz    main_global__s2, 1,0
             iorlw     4
             decfsz    main_global__s3, 1,0
             iorlw     8
             decfsz    main_global__s4, 1,0
             iorlw     16
             decfsz    main_global__s5, 1,0
             iorlw     32
             decfsz    main_global__s6, 1,0
             iorlw     64
             decfsz    main_global__s7, 1,0
             iorlw     128
             andwf     INDF0, 1,0
          END ASM
        While TMR0L = old
        Wend
    Next old                       ' all servo outputs are off at this point
    T0= -3600                      ' time to complete balance of time for 20ms cycle
    INTCON.TMR0IF = 0              ' get ready to interrupt again
  Else
    HID_InterruptProc
  End If
end sub

sub procedure Init_Main
	INTCON2 = 0xF5
	INTCON3 = 0xC0
	RCON.IPEN = 0                    ' Disable Priority Levels on interrupts
	PIE1 = 0
	PIE2 = 0
	PIR1 = 0
	PIR2 = 0
	ADCON1 = 15                      ' digital IO
	TRISA = 0
	TRISB = 0
	TRISC = 0
	LATA = 0
	LATB = 0
	LATC = 0
end sub

sub procedure SERVO8_INIT(dim byref servo_port as byte,
                          dim port_config as byte)
    servoport = @servo_port + 18                          ' PORT TRIS ADDRESS
    servoport^ = servoport^ And Not(port_config)          ' SET TRIS
    servoport = servoport - 9                             ' PORT LATCH ADDRESS
    T0CON = %00000101                                     ' prescaler = 64 or ~5us per increment
    T0 = -4000                                            ' preset for 20ms
    INTCON = %10100000                                    ' Timer0 Interrupt Enabled and Flag Cleared
    T0CON.7 = 1                                           ' Timer0 On
end sub

main:
  Init_Main
  SERVO8_INIT(PORTB, 255)
  HID_Enable(@servo, @wrbuf)
  Delay_mS(1000)

while true
      If HID_READ <> 0 Then                               ' if USB package has arrived
        wrbuf[0] = 255                                    ' servo positions are in Read_Buffer
        HID_WRITE(@wrbuf, 1)                              ' reply with verification
     End If
  wend

HID_Disable
  '** This code is necessary in order to make linker load the variables and HID_InterruptProc routine.
  '** In real time it will never execute.
  if false then
      HID_InterruptProc
      wr_adr = @DeviceDescr
      wr_adr = @ConfigDescr
      wr_adr = @InterfaceDescr
      wr_adr = @HID_Descriptor
      wr_adr = @EP1_RXDescr
      wr_adr = @EP1_TXDescr
      wr_adr = @HID_ReportDesc
      wr_adr = @LangIDDescr
      wr_adr = @ManufacturerDescr
      wr_adr = @ProductDescr
      wr_adr = @StrUnknownDescr
  end if
end.
Last edited by xor on 22 Aug 2006 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][b]xor[/b][/color]
[url=http://circuit-ed.com]CircuitED -[/url]

Charlie

#2 Post by Charlie » 04 Jul 2006 18:20

HI xor thats good stuff. How did you make the sweep on the right of the screen?
Regards Charlie M.

xor

#3 Post by xor » 04 Jul 2006 20:52

Charlie wrote:How did you make the sweep on the right of the screen?
That's made using the Circle() function built in to Visual Basic. By setting a start and end parameter you can create an arc instead of a full circle. Also, by using negative radian values it fills in very nicely. It's a simple graphical device without using ActiveX.

marten

#4 Post by marten » 04 Jul 2006 20:59

Beautiful! :D

M.

PS. On my screen, a vertical line on the pie graph occur at 49% (126). :wink:

xor

#5 Post by xor » 04 Jul 2006 21:10

Hi Marten,

It's tough finding the half-way point of 255 without a little jiggle in there. Your screen resolution can play a part too. I happen to have 1920x1200, which shows the line really nicely. I will play a little more to see I can fool the screen. :D

This is just a demo right now....more features are planned soon like linking servos, sequencing, entering a value, etc. I was anxious to show off my initial results.

marten

#6 Post by marten » 05 Jul 2006 00:07

xor wrote: Your screen resolution can play a part too.

Very possible, mine is 1680x1050. - Actually, I was mostly teasing you a bit. :D Looks great!
....more features are planned soon like linking servos, sequencing, entering a value, etc.
Hear, hear! I might try it when controlling a multi stage aerosol thermodenuder (don't ask me to explain - I will keep you up all night). Basically, I'm individually controlling and heating 3 or 4 sections of a pipe to get a specific temperature profile.

Happy 4th of July! (Even if it is past midnight here)
Marten

xor

#7 Post by xor » 05 Jul 2006 04:12

• The VB Program has been updated with some new features:

• 1. Added "Set All Servo's" Buttons at top of form.
      2. Added ability to change the value of a servo above each horizontal scrollbar. Enter your new value in the textbox (don't be fooled...it's a textbox) and then double-click the textbox to change the servo value.

Ability to link any number and combination of servo's is coming!

xor

#8 Post by xor » 06 Jul 2006 02:08

• The VB Program now has added functions:
    • ***Added SERVO LINKING capability. You can now link any or all of the 8 servos....so be careful :D

Charlie

#9 Post by Charlie » 06 Jul 2006 03:01

Hi xor,

Thats cool. looks like I will have to get out some servos and try it. I like the VB app. looks good. :)
Regards Charlie M.

Ken

#10 Post by Ken » 06 Jul 2006 03:07

Hi xor,

Great work. I have one question. Is there any problem communicating through a usb hub?

Regards,
Ken

xor

#11 Post by xor » 06 Jul 2006 03:31

Haven't tried it, but there should be no problem. The USB pipe is opened from the PC (host) to the PIC when the ID's are correct and unique and the descriptors work....which they should.

Ken

#12 Post by Ken » 06 Jul 2006 03:53

Hi xor,

We spoke awhile back about USB and I am now just getting around to trying it out using a 18F2550. I'm using VB express and I understand your using VB6 but, I may have some questions for you and others, no, I know I'll have questions. :lol:

Once again nice job.

Regards,
Ken

juliovmd

#13 Post by juliovmd » 06 Jul 2006 06:39

Hello, I did something similar in mikrobasic and am very well, I let a connection to see the prototype here to you. :D

Controller USB RC8A5

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#14 Post by zristic » 06 Jul 2006 08:50

It will be great if you use the Projects page. We put a great effort to make it. The idea is to collect all the projects at one place. Here on forum you can discuss them, but the Projects page is the place intended to gather all of the sources, documentation, images etc. Otherwise, many of us will be unhappy.

juliovmd

#15 Post by juliovmd » 06 Jul 2006 09:06

Ok, I feel it, the lodged project this in my Web, exempt it of and I raise it here the section of projects? :?:

Return to “mikroBasic General”