Announcing the development of LIBSTOCK - Your place for code

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author

Re: Announcing the development of LIBSTOCK - Your place for

#61 Post by joseLB » 10 Jun 2011 19:58

ME people, any news? :?:

Mince-n-Tatties

#62 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 12 Jun 2011 11:28

janni wrote:
joseLB wrote: So, if ME is ready to put it to work (as a free and SIMPLE place for code), why not to do it asap? Later, if the case, think about other issues.
Again, my thoughts exactly :) .
do we not already have two free and simple places for code?

1. Any of the various compiler version forum(s)
2. the user project website

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/projects/index/

so i guess the "free" model already exists. Perhaps what should start asap is the non-free model.
Best Regards

Mince

janni

#63 Post by janni » 12 Jun 2011 18:33

Mince-n-Tatties wrote:do we not already have two free and simple places for code?

1. Any of the various compiler version forum(s)
2. the user project website

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/projects/index/

so i guess the "free" model already exists.
As has been pointed out many times before, neither of those is good for presenting and easy updating of projects and libraries. In fact, any code presented on regular compiler forums tends to vanish in crowd - forum search engine does not help much. The User Project forum, which was supposed to add feedback lacking in user project website, transformed into 'Help Me With My Current Project' one :( .

What we are hoping for is much more than a forum or static website:
A place that binds your projects, libraries, your tutorials and project explanations, schematics and manuals, but also brings a social moment to the whole thing. Through personalized accounts, you'll be able to connect with people like yourself and utilize the enormous potential of human communication.
We are also planing to enable some sort of Author's blog. There will be a specialized "Project details" section, so you can also explain how the project works. Provide images, additional links, files and text.

Mince-n-Tatties wrote: Perhaps what should start asap is the non-free model.
Even some info on the present state of matters would be welcome :wink: .

CVMichael

#64 Post by CVMichael » 13 Jun 2011 02:17

I honestly don't know what is taking them so long (I think they should have not mentioned about it until it was done), of course I don't know the complexity of the libstock website.

But, by now, I could have made a functional (not pretty, I'm not a good designer) website that does we need. I would make this site in ASP.NET with VB.NET, and SQL Server (that's what I know best).

My problem is that I don't have a public web-server, so if I would make such a web-site, then everyone would connect to my home computer and I don't think that's a good idea.

Mince-n-Tatties

#65 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 13 Jun 2011 11:18

janni wrote:forum search engine does not help much.
i would have to agree with that fully.
Best Regards

Mince

johnt

#66 Post by johnt » 17 Jun 2011 13:20

CVMichael wrote:I honestly don't know what is taking them so long (I think they should have not mentioned about it until it was done), of course I don't know the complexity of the libstock website.

But, by now, I could have made a functional (not pretty, I'm not a good designer) website that does we need. I would make this site in ASP.NET with VB.NET, and SQL Server (that's what I know best).
Manpower, design, debugging, percieved ROI...
Mikroe is a business with a (good) reputation to protect. Look at the messages in this thread. Imagine
if they just threw up a barely working system that wasn't significantly better than the things being
listed above. Can you imagine the messages you'd see here then?

As time goes by people are expecting more and more professionalism online and that can take
an order of magnitude more time,effort and money than we used to need just to do the same things
a few years ago.
john
--------------------------------------------------
Appologies if your tried the DFM site - I had to leave
it locked while away. Sorry.

Muphy

#67 Post by Muphy » 17 Jun 2011 13:50

Totally agree with you John however there is a fine line sometimes between professional and perfect. I've seen my fair share of people including my own company miss the boat on a product because they spent too much time polishing it. Having said that, I'm happy to wait until mE are ready to release it on the world. Out of interest, have mE offered any sort of limited beta test to get user feedback prior to launch???

The other thing I have a wry grin about is that I wonder how many of the eager beavers are people who want to contribute or want to consume. I saw a way cool coding site where you could read all the answers (with code snippits) just the same as this site but you could only download free code if you had contributed a certain amount and had been rated by the people who had used your answers/code. Not saying that mE should work this way but I thought it was an interesting way to balance consumption with contribution.

M

johnt

#68 Post by johnt » 20 Jun 2011 12:39

I must admit I've never understood this modern notion of not letting people have stuff just because
they aren't posting themselves. If you don't want people downloading your code don't put it
online.

You either put it there for them to have - in which case be happy you could help someone -
or you put it there to show everyone how clever you are. In which case it seems to me it says more about the poster than the downloader.

It would be nice if we coould get back to the old ways. Code for sharing is public domain
and the word "licence" doesn't appear anywhere within it.
john
--------------------------------------------------
Appologies if your tried the DFM site - I had to leave
it locked while away. Sorry.

Stismaseretry

Announcing the development of LIBSTOCK Your place for code

#69 Post by Stismaseretry » 19 Jul 2011 04:00

im doing a project of arm processor which will be interfaced with the plc.so im finding some difficulty with CRC16 code for modbus. if some one is really having some knowledge abt this, he should plz help me.

marko
mikroElektronika team

#70 Post by marko » 02 Aug 2011 17:52

Developers Update: Testing libstock internally!

Hello everybody,

First of all, as a lead developer of Libstock project I would like to say thank you
to all forum users for taking your time and contributing your ideas about Libstock.

As second, I would like to apologize for not responding lately on your posts concerning Libstock.
But, we are constantly monitoring this topic and we have gathered a significant
amount of your suggestions and comments. This have resulted in having several
very useful features for Libstock. Among many here are the most wanted:

Project Versions
Libstock supports versioning of a project, so that every user can go back to an
older version for some reason, or checkout the differences between two versions.
This is can be done via project control panel.

Author Blog
At the beginning we have planned that project page has only several features
such as project description, ratings, total downloads, project versions. After
several suggestions from our colleagues and community we have come to idea
for creating project blog. We have implemented possibility for user that has posted
his project to add more project description text, images, links, galleries, documents,
video links that will present your project better and attract more people to see your project.
This option considerably expands possibilities for project sharing and recognition.

Subcategories Added
Along several proposals, we received several suggestions that besides main project category
there should be a subcategory that describes project a little bit closer. For examples
if you have project that uses CAN communication, you could place it in CAN / LIN / RS485
sub-category that is child of Communications category. Also, if you have more generic project
that doesn't fit any specific subcategories, you can place it in main categories as well.

I'm happy to inform you that beta version is being tested internally.
Purpose of this internal test is to get significant feedback
from MikroElektronika employees who weren't directly involved in creating libstock
before final release of libstock. Their suggestions and comments will be great help
in creating more flexible and easy to use community website for sharing embedded projects.

Upon launch of this test, we already got several good suggestions that
will help end user in using libstock website, such as:

Better login box organization
We have several suggestions for login box view. This view has suffered several
makeovers, so at the end we came up with the result that you can see on the
posted screenshot.

Creating User Avatar thumbnail
For easier user identification we have introduced avatar images. For first version
we have implemented simple image upload for avatar. But, as suggestion we are
seriously considering possibility to allow users to crop and create their own thumbnails
from uploaded picture. This feature is being developed as we speak.... :)

As we are getting closer of final release of libstock, we will do our best to
inform you about latest Libstock development updates.

Thank you for taking your time for reading this update

Sincerely,

--
Marko Jovanovic
mikroElektronika [Web Department]
"Good ideas are not complicated, they are
complex, but we are making it easy !!!"

stevenindon

#71 Post by stevenindon » 02 Aug 2011 18:15

Marko,

Good to hear that libstock is finally in beta test!! Great job mikroe team.

So so great to hear so much of progress from mikroe especially these 2 months. Additional of new libraries and now libstock!! :D :D

Thank you so much for all the hardwork. Just cant wait to have more libraries!

stevenindon

#72 Post by stevenindon » 02 Aug 2011 18:23

Marko,

After reading the second time of your update, the libstock looks like a project collection page with a new facelift.

Will this libstock be more to a collection of projects or rather than library collection that can be shared among cross compilers... Example mokrobasic will be able to include libraries written by someone using mikroc or etc...

Thanks. :(

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#73 Post by anikolic » 03 Aug 2011 13:37

Will this libstock be more to a collection of projects or rather than library collection that can be shared among cross compilers... Example mokrobasic will be able to include libraries written by someone using mikroc or etc...
Actually, this is a good thing. Initially we had in mind that users only share libraries, but we have also allowed users to share other related material, such as demonstration examples, Visual TFT and Visual GLCD projects and even documentation, help files and so on. So, when you want to share your library with the community, you can also provide them with examples of how to use this library in context. It enriches the basic functionality a great deal.

As you may have already seen, we kept the convenience that you can upload files for each compiler separately, so community users can download the whole package, or only the archive related to the compiler they are using.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

janni

#74 Post by janni » 03 Aug 2011 14:47

stevenindon wrote:After reading the second time of your update, the libstock looks like a project collection page with a new facelift.
So it looks to me :( .
BROWSE PROJECTS, SHARE PROJECT, REQUEST PROJECT...
It'll end up with hundreds of projects and just few, hard to find libs, I'm affraid.

Well, maybe that's what most users need - another (interactive) place for projects, but then libraries should somehow be separated from pure (non lib-based) projects.

luca crotti

#75 Post by luca crotti » 03 Aug 2011 15:03

Hello everybody,
I think this libstock is an excellent idea and a good way to support newbies and to grow up a little bit as community.
Place to put whole projects are not easy to create and to manage.
I suggest you (my 2 cents!) to use particular care in providing a robust search engine: a lot of times developers are facing particular problems, and when it comes to google it is always very very difficult to have the right information/clue you are searching for.
Just an example: imagine I have a component to use: all I have to do is simply type its name and google it. after 0,5 seconds I found what I need.
But imagine I want to search for examples on a specific functionality, like SPI communication with PIC xxx and register setting example: google lost itself!
so I suggest to create a form to be filled with a good description of the project, key words you want to stress for your project, main component you use, specific HW if you want, AND specific SW algorythm (like sorting, PID, LUT, ARRAY STRUCTURES, dynamic allocation, .... or again other custom library included, ASM code included, direct registry addressing, type of internal peripherals used etc (like you do with your compilers).

More, the possibility to include pictures, documentation, instruction etc is awesome!
I would add EXAMPLE as mandatory, above help file.
I would put also difficulty level, or particular skill required, something like that.

bye,

Luca Crotti

Return to “Product Announcements”