16f628 wrongfully detected as a 12f508

General discussion on mikroElektronika development boards.
Author

16f628 wrongfully detected as a 12f508

#1 Post by mosseltje » 08 May 2008 13:58

hellow,

The title sais it all :),
I'm a recent owner of a easypic5, and already from the start the board isn't gentle to me.
I managed to program the 16f once before the problem occured. After that nothing worked ( resetting, changing pic's) it kept saying the 12f508 was in there

I've read the other toppics on the same issue ( for easypic 3 and 4) ( cant believe they still havent fixed that)

Anyway, All the jumpers are in the right position ( socket selection) so that's not the problem. I'm using this-->(USB18F Firmware v1.20) firmware ( came with the package)

So can anyone please tell me whats wrong?

I would greatly appriciate that

tia
mosseltje

aftervillage

#2 Post by aftervillage » 09 May 2008 10:12

Try "Disable Vpp-First mode entry" option. (at options)

info from:
http://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/61216
Cheers,
AfterVillage

mosseltje

#3 Post by mosseltje » 09 May 2008 17:34

yeps ,

problem solved

thanks

mosseltje

Dany

#4 Post by Dany » 09 Jul 2008 12:44

Hi,
I had the same problem while using the PICFlash2 (with ICD support) trying to program or read a "PIC12F629". The programmer is providing the supply for the PIC.

Here changing the setting of "Disable Vpp-first..." did not help. :cry:

The only thing that did help was removing the 1K resistor (as suggested to be used in the PICFlash2 User manual, page 15) between VCC and GND. :D

Anyone any explanation? Thanks in advance.

Erratum: the removal of this resistor is not a solution. At this moment (the problem seems to get worse as time elapses) the 12F629 is always identified as the 12F508.

Furthermore: also if no PIC is connected to the programmer, a 12F508 is identified (seems to be the default).

Finally: I did find the solution (I thought): the connection of the PIC Vss was not OK. I was under the impression it should be enough to connect it to the left side earth pin of the "on board IDC10 connector" as the drawings in the user's manual suggest (see drawings on pages 12 and 13). But the manual shows also a "ground" symbols at the right side of the connector, not only the left one (see page 15).
This was the clue to the solution: making the PIC Vss connection to the right hand side of the "on board IDC10 connector" in stead of the left hand side. :D

Unfortunately: when I moved back the Vss connection to the right hand side of the ICD10 connector things kept working! I cannot reproduce the error any more! :oops:

Any ideas?
Last edited by Dany on 15 Jul 2008 19:10, edited 3 times in total.
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

Dany

#5 Post by Dany » 10 Jul 2008 11:15

My problem seems to be solved (see previous post). I did connect now the 2 "ground" pins on the "on board IDC10 connector" and everything keeps working fine now. :D The PIC is identified correctly.

Also the 1K resistor and the 100nF capacitor are connected now (again) between Vdd and Gnd, as suggested in the PICFlash2 user manual (in one of my earlier posts it was suggested that removal was a solution, which it was not).

In some cases (e.g. with the PIC16F628A) the "Vpp first mode entry" has to be disabled to make everything work. :D
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

Brane

#6 Post by Brane » 16 Jul 2008 14:17

Try "Disable Vpp-First mode entry" option. (at options)
This helped in my case, but I have easyPIC5. Can anybody tell me why can't I pull out this pic from easy ? It is sticked like with glue.

Return to “Development Boards”