Adding old Library

Beta Testing discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Adding old Library

#1 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 05 Mar 2009 11:24

Hi,

I am trying to add the MikroC USART library to the MikroC pro manager.

Using 16F877A, sample (USART_Test.c) code from easypic5 examples for mikroC. using this file as a very basic test of USART function and its written by MikroE so there is no question over the source file contents

So i have performed the steps outlined in the migration doc.

copied the USART.mcl's
done the edit of the mikroC pro 16F887A.mlk file to add USART

open mikroC pro
import the USART_test.c example
refresh library manager
USART now appears in the library manager window, however there are no sub label listings (i.e. no functions are shown below USART)under the heading USART.

anyway i tick the USART box
press for compile and up comes a bunch of compile errors related to not knowning how to handle USART functions

as far as i am able to work out i have followed the migration doc steps.

i used ms visual studio 2005 during the file edit process.

so what am i doing wrong?

rajkovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Adding old Library

#2 Post by rajkovic » 05 Mar 2009 12:44

Mince-n-Tatties wrote:Hi,

I am trying to add the MikroC USART library to the MikroC pro manager.

Using 16F877A, sample (USART_Test.c) code from easypic5 examples for mikroC. using this file as a very basic test of USART function and its written by MikroE so there is no question over the source file contents

So i have performed the steps outlined in the migration doc.

copied the USART.mcl's
done the edit of the mikroC pro 16F887A.mlk file to add USART

open mikroC pro
import the USART_test.c example
refresh library manager
USART now appears in the library manager window, however there are no sub label listings (i.e. no functions are shown below USART)under the heading USART.

anyway i tick the USART box
press for compile and up comes a bunch of compile errors related to not knowning how to handle USART functions

as far as i am able to work out i have followed the migration doc steps.

i used ms visual studio 2005 during the file edit process.

so what am i doing wrong?

old mcl are not compatibile with new compiler.
You can not use them with new compiler.

You should check new UART library in library manager. This means that
you will have to change code to have new function names, or make pld or header file with defines which would replace it by preprocessor. Old Libraries that has been changed are listed in migration document.

Mince-n-Tatties

#3 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 05 Mar 2009 19:27

old mcl are not compatibile with new compiler.
You can not use them with new compiler.

You should check new UART library in library manager. This means that
you will have to change code to have new function names, or make pld or header file with defines which would replace it by preprocessor. Old Libraries that has been changed are listed in migration document.[/quote]

what a let down :(...

confused! then why in the "migration doc" is there a section to "adding existing libraries". surely they are already added to the def files you have supplied.

this is commercial suicide, i would expect that you would like to keep your customers indefinitely and that there would be a natural expectation for people to start out on the standard compiler and move to the pro compiler as their experience/funds grow. I cannot understand why you would not have one of the following in place

1. an intelligence around the import option which would handle code conversion during import.

2. a stand-alone conversion tool for source code prior to import into pro compiler.

perhaps i over estimate the size and interest to mikroE of the current standard compiler user database and that you mainly target first-time buyers with the pro version.

i thought there would be at least thousands of user with an accumulated multiple thousands of source code lines adding up to many hours in cost required to effect code change worldwide.

i dont wish to take anything away from the fact that mikroE are supporting current reg'd users with a free upgrade and that is certainly to be commended and is in the spirit with which i have found mikroE customer support over the years.

rajkovic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by rajkovic » 06 Mar 2009 08:22

Mince-n-Tatties wrote: 2. a stand-alone conversion tool for source code prior to import into pro compiler.
After thinking about solutions header and plds we also has concluded that only stand alone conversion tool for source code is best solution. We did not have enough time to complete that,
and we did not want to make incomplete solutions. If time permits we will
make that tool.

Mince-n-Tatties

#5 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 06 Mar 2009 12:13

rajkovic wrote:
If time permits we will make that tool.
cant really ask for better than that, thanks.

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Beta Testing”