MP Version 6.6.0. crashing with Dany's "Utilities" Library.

General discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

MP Version 6.6.0. crashing with Dany's "Utilities" Library.

#1 Post by Megahurts » 24 May 2015 23:53

Hi,

After upgrading to the newest release of mikroePASCAL PRO for PIC and reinstalling all of the additional libraries (packages) for it, my installation now crashes every time I exit the program (compiler)
I get the following crash report.
pascal compiler closing crash error2.jpg
pascal compiler closing crash error2.jpg (97.2 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
and....
pascal compiler closing crash error.jpg
pascal compiler closing crash error.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
This started after I tried to expand Dany's mPASCAL Utilities library in the Library manager view window, which caused a similar crash error (but trying to read location 00000000 instead).
(and kept causing this error every time I tried to do it. Selecting continue application in crash report caused the Library manager window to display nothing but blank white area.)

I uninstalled the "Utilities" package but that only fixed the Library manager view window problem and now get a crash report on every program closing, as shown above in the images.

I have not tried to reinstall the new compiler yet, in case I need to reproduce this problem again for diagnostic purposes.

[FOR DANY]- While reading your CRTOS for PIC32 manual today I spotted this omission in the text:
CRTOS manual error.jpg
CRTOS manual error.jpg (123.39 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
Thank you for the attention to this, Robert.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

SW: mP for PIC|mB for PIC-dsPIC-PIC32|Visual-TFT|

Megahurts

Re: MP Version 6.6.0. crashing with Dany's "Utilities" Libra

#2 Post by Megahurts » 25 May 2015 20:21

Hi (again),

An additional note and request:
I think it should be made clear also in your compiler software installer that users should use "Package Manager" to back up any additional Libraries (or packages) BEFORE uninstalling
the currently installed version when one is encountered by the software installer.

This having to uninstall the (probably well used and customized) previous version has a high degree of users losing personal data, settings, projects and such. So any additional assistance
your installers give us users to safely make these upgrades would be greatly thanked.

Regards, Robert.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

janni

#3 Post by janni » 26 May 2015 00:32

Megahurts wrote:I think it should be made clear also in your compiler software installer that users should use "Package Manager" to back up any additional Libraries (or packages) BEFORE uninstalling
the currently installed version when one is encountered by the software installer.
Users should certainly be reminded by the installer about that. Unfortunately, it won't help with present update as the Package Manager crashes while restoring the packages :( . And, as you observed, the IDE crashes with packages installed. Some other strange phenomena may also be observed - like vanishing contents of Library Manager or inability to load projects.

Well, once again, instead of fixing bugs and quirks in IDE it was decided to introduce new flashy features that would look good in advertisements. And, naturally, there was no time to thoroughly check how the whole thing works afterward :( .

darko.minic

#4 Post by darko.minic » 26 May 2015 14:48

Hi All,

I managed to reproduce the same problem related to Package Manager, this bug is reported to Development Team and they will try to fix it as soon as possible.
Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the problem with IDE crashing, so can you please give me more information how to reproduce problem?
Nevertheless we forwarded problem related to IDE to our Development Team.

Also when your IDE is crashed please send Bug Report.

Our team currently working hard to fix all bugs from new version and new release will come very soon.

We are very sorry for inconvenience you have.

Regards,
Darko

janni

#5 Post by janni » 26 May 2015 16:51

The IDE crashes while closing, apparently not being able to save settings - most probably connected with user libraries. It also crashes while trying to refresh Library Manager with user libs packages present. Even if one succeeds to load a project that uses packages, not all libraries from these packages are displayed in Library Manager. Sometimes no library is listed.
Executable of previous version IDE used in the same environment (just exe files swapped) shows no such problems.
darko.minic wrote:Our team currently working hard to fix all bugs from new version and new release will come very soon.
I know it's not your responsibility so please pass it to whoever is responsible for this 'instant release' policy - it would certainly be easier on mE customers if the errors were fixed before official release. I really cannot understand why would a company actively tend to destroy any confidence in its products, especially while having very responsive community that could help to test these products in beta stage.

Megahurts

#6 Post by Megahurts » 26 May 2015 20:35

Hi darko,

I did an experiment on the Library manager and it seems the problem is not related to any particular package installed, just the last (bottom) one listed in the view window.
Trying to expand the Library shown at the bottom of the list causes the compiler IDE to crash with the same crash report error being generated.

As to sending a bug report error to you guys, I can't because of the way the report wants to connect to the internet to send it. I do not allow any software on my machines to directly access
the internet for email purposes and do not have an account (email) tied to our internet provider service. Only web based email accounts are used and this is not going to change for security reasons (with Windows).

If the Bug Report program module was changed so a single file could be archived (Zip, RAR...) and available for me to add it as an attachment to a email I could send from my web based email account,
I could send many reports on errors I encounter. But as is, I can only supply screen captures when I think to do it at time of incident.

I've asked for this change of the reporting module before, but as long as it keeps trying to use outlook to send one, you will not get one from me sorry.

Regards, Robert.

hadv

#7 Post by hadv » 26 May 2015 21:48

Just got this answer from Janni regarding my problems with the server not being able to download the update for a couple of days in a row, highlighting by me:

"6.50 was a minor upgrade - most of us could let it be installed automatically. Version 6.60, on the other hand is a 'major' upgrade (one wouldn't guess from numbering :( ) and requires uninstall of any previous version (with the usual need to manually restore any own settings).
In other words, you may equally well download the new version directly from mikroE website instead of letting the IDE do the same. I wouldn't hurry in your place, however. It looks like 6.60 will soon be replaced due to errors introduced to IDE. And if you use any libraries in form of packages, do not upgrade until the bugs are fixed or you won't be able to work with mP PRO"

Hope this will help users...

Regards
Harm

janni

#8 Post by janni » 26 May 2015 22:41

Megahurts wrote:I did an experiment on the Library manager and it seems the problem is not related to any particular package installed, just the last (bottom) one listed in the view window.
Trying to expand the Library shown at the bottom of the list causes the compiler IDE to crash with the same crash report error being generated.
Yep, that's another way to make the IDE crash. And the last library file in the last package is neither displayed nor visible to the compiler (compilation ends with errors of missing functions).

BTW, I've sent some crash reports, whatever good that does in this case.

Megahurts

#9 Post by Megahurts » 27 May 2015 05:07

janni wrote:And the last library file in the last package is neither displayed nor visible to the compiler (compilation ends with errors of missing functions).
Ya janni, to me it indicates a units counting variable not incrementing correctly - probably. Should be an easy fix, when fixed. :roll:

Going to reinstall the last version until this one gets correction(s). Projects are needing finishing without any new hassles to deal with also.

I do like (the idea of) and was looking forward to the Identifier Name Propagation feature added to the IDE though, too bad.

Regards, Robert.

darko.minic

#10 Post by darko.minic » 27 May 2015 15:30

Hi all,

Thank you for detailed explanation of bugs, and also for bug reports,
we will try to fix it as soon as possible.

I also forwarded your suggestions to my colleagues in charge.

Regards,
Darko

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC General”