Beta 4.80 USB Driver problem

Beta Testing discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Beta 4.80 USB Driver problem

#1 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 09 Apr 2011 11:21

Hi mE team.

just installed the 4.80 beta, then went to plug in easypic6 to try the ICD and found that the USB drivers are having problems working. see attach screen grab.

winXP pro SP3
driverError.JPG
driverError.JPG (90.75 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
i have already done a manual remove of the drivers and re-install etc, exactly the same result. I will try sone other options and report back if i find a work-around
Best Regards

Mince

Mince-n-Tatties

Re: Beta 4.80 USB Driver problem

#2 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 09 Apr 2011 13:12

ok after 2 hours of messing about...

i eventually found something that worked.

removed the usb driver from C:\windows\system32\drivers\

1. remove mikroc pro 4.80
2. installed 4.6
3. installed the windows 32bit usb driver
4. connected easypic board.
5. tried to connect the easypic board, same result NOT FIXED

next

removed 4.60

removed the usb driver from C:\windows\system32\drivers\

1. install very old version (first 2010 version)
2. installed the drivers for picflash when given the option.
3. checked that the easypic board would connect and driver would install on all 6 usb ports. All ok
4. everything working correctly.

next

did not remove the older usb driver!

1. removed the old mikroC pro
2. re-installed the beta 4.80
3. re-installed the windows 32bit driver
4. connected easypic board, installed to all 6 ports and made sure that the install used the newer driver (as there where now two options [old driver & new driver])
5. now as far as usb connection everything works ok again, with the driver supplied inside beta 4.80.

tried the software ICD, works ok, steps quickly over the two 1000ms delays in the default ledblinking program

tried hardware ICD, crashed as soon as it hit the first 1000ms delay, cant step over, into, out. all step functions have lost focus.

only thing that works is to click the stop debugger button or press ctrl+F2.

Also, i dont know if this is expected... but there are no information being shown in the clock watch window during HW-ICD. See attached screen grab.

first screen capture shows the hardware ICD where i have run upto the delay_ms(1000), it can be seen that the step functions buttons are still available.
StepToDelay.jpg
StepToDelay.jpg (184.11 KiB) Viewed 3589 times

the second screen grab shows the hardware ICD where i have stepped into the delay_ms(1000), it can be seen that the step function buttons are no longer available and that the IDE is just sitting stuck. it makes no difference which method i use to get into the delay_ms(1000), step in, step over both result in the same broken session. I can workaround if i place the cursor after the delay prior to running, then by using run to cursor i am able to step over the delay.
StepPastDelay.jpg
StepPastDelay.jpg (176.41 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
and just to complete the picture, here is a screen grab using the two drivers (old which i installed for picflash [which worked first time everytime] and new [which works now, after going through the above process]) and it can be seen i have selected the newest driver when doing a manual install.
both_drivers.jpg
both_drivers.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
Best Regards

Mince

slavisa.zlatanovic
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by slavisa.zlatanovic » 11 Apr 2011 09:10

Hi Mince!
...tried hardware ICD, crashed as soon as it hit the first 1000ms delay, cant step over, into, out. all step functions have lost focus.
Never Step in (over) the Delays because for PIC16 MCUs it takes some time to complete that operation.
Instead, use the Run to cursor option.
However, note that when using PIC18 MCUs you'll be able to work much more comfortably, especially because we've improved the mikroICD operation in this BETA (v4.80). It is now much faster. To see it for your self, please, try to step over Delays (F8) or i.e. Glcd_Image routine.
Best regards
Slavisa

Mince-n-Tatties

#4 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 11 Apr 2011 09:47

slavisa.zlatanovic wrote:Hi Mince!
...tried hardware ICD, crashed as soon as it hit the first 1000ms delay, cant step over, into, out. all step functions have lost focus.
Never Step in (over) the Delays because for PIC16 MCUs it takes some time to complete that operation.
Instead, use the Run to cursor option.
it sure does take time, i left it running for 30 minutes and it was still stuck sitting there!
slavisa.zlatanovic wrote: However, note that when using PIC18 MCUs you'll be able to work much more comfortably, especially because we've improved the mikroICD operation in this BETA (v4.80). It is now much faster. To see it for your self, please, try to step over Delays (F8) or i.e. Glcd_Image routine.
i will plug in an 18F and give it a try.

what about the non-updating cycle watch clock window, is that as expected?
Best Regards

Mince

slavisa.zlatanovic
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by slavisa.zlatanovic » 12 Apr 2011 09:06

Hi!
what about the non-updating cycle watch clock window, is that as expected?
Yes, this feature is available only for software simulation (release build).
Best regards
Slavisa

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Beta Testing”