ICD-Problem with mikroProg and mikromedia board.

General discussion on mikroProg™ programmer and debugger and mikroProg Suite software as well.
Author

ICD-Problem with mikroProg and mikromedia board.

#1 Post by peter.schultheis » 11 Nov 2012 22:09

Hello!

There is a problem with debug of mikromedia board for PIC 32 and MikroC PRO via mikroProg.

I am doing first trials with mikromedia board for PIC32 and want do find out about debug functions in MikroC PRO for PIC32 V 2.5.0 with dongle + mikroprog with mikroprog suite for PIC V2.26. I want to try out the simple_maze demo. After compiling - with ICD Debug and MikroICD -Flags set - the board will be programmed and also the power is supplied via mikroprog correctly as it seems. I can also start the program when connecting the mikromedia board directly to an usb port.

But I cannot debug the board. The error message I'll receive after stating the compiler is "Missing ICD communication" and "Micro elektronika ICD hardware not found". This happens although the communication to mikroprog just worked (otherwise the program could not be written into the mikromedia board).

What's wrong?

Thanks for help!
Peter

janko.kaljevic

Re: ICD-Problem with mikroProg and mikromedia board.

#2 Post by janko.kaljevic » 13 Nov 2012 13:37

Hello,

Please check if the correct ICD channel is selected.
To do this go to Project->Edit Project and under ICE/ICD Comm Channel Select choose appropriate channel.

Also make sure that the board is powered in the moment when debugger is started.
For this you can use USB cable, and USB port.

Best regards.

atestani

#3 Post by atestani » 14 Apr 2014 02:58

I am again having this annoying problem. The last time this happened the problem went away when I re-installed *everything*. I don't have time (or the inclination) to do that again as I have a deadline on Tues for this code and at the moment I am dead in the water.

The MikroProg Suite is version 2.30 and MikroPascal compiler is v6.01. MikroProg firmware is v2.11 so everything is at the latest level. I have the MikroProg plugged directly to a USB port on the computer (i.e no hub involved). The problem persists thru a reboot as well as uninstalling and re-installing the device in Device Manager. My Mikromedia board has an PIC18F87J50 on it running at 48MHz and I am powering the board with external power (not via the MikroProg). I can change project settings from ICD Debug to Release and compile and load code which runs fine.

Evidently, the IDE has changed as there is no ICE/ICD Channel selection or at least I can't find it.

What is the fix to get ICD working (and stay working)???

marina.petrovic

#4 Post by marina.petrovic » 14 Apr 2014 13:54

Hi,

Please, can you tell me which error message you get from mikroProg Suite?

Did you have the same problem with every example or only with your project?
You can test some simple example from compiler:
...\mikroPascal PRO for PIC\Examples\Development Systems\mikromedia for PIC18FJ

Best regards,
Marina

atestani

#5 Post by atestani » 14 Apr 2014 20:13

The exact error message is "mikroElektronika ICD hardware not found".

It makes no difference which project or even the target board/processor I am using or whether the boards are powered by USB or external power. The error appears instantly after I click Start Debugger. I am quite sure this is a PC side problem. Everything is at the same level on my laptop and the debugger works fine there (same mikroProg, mikromedia board, and project).

I do note the the device enumerated in Device manager on my laptop is:

USB Devices by mikroElectronika
mikroElektronika USB18F Device (x86 Platform)

whereas on my main development machine it is:

USB v2.0 Target Device (x86)
mikroElektronika USB18F Device (x86 Platform)

This seems to be the issue but I do not know how to get the correct device to install on the main computer.

marina.petrovic

#6 Post by marina.petrovic » 15 Apr 2014 14:01

Hi,

If I understand you properly, on your laptop debugger is working without any problem with the same hardware?
Which operating system you have on your PC?
Did you try to use different USB port?

You can try to re-install mirkoProg drivers (regardless that it's look like that driver are installed properly).

Best regards,
Marina

atestani

#7 Post by atestani » 15 Apr 2014 14:26

Marina,

After I posted this, I reopened the past Ticket I had and Petar is helping me with it. We have concluded it is the OS/driver installation that is causing the problem as I get USB v.20 Target Device in the WinXP Device Manager instead of the correct USB Devices by mikroElektronika

Attempts to uninstall and re-install to get the correct device to enumerate have thus far proven unsuccessful. When the problem is resolved I will post the resolution back here for others who may run into this problem.

Return to “mikroProg™ programmer and debugger”