Is source code available?

GLCD Font Creator software is the ultimate solution to create personalized fonts, symbols and icons for Graphic LCDs. It generates code compatible with All mikroElektronika compilers
Author

Is source code available?

#1 Post by dc42 » 06 Oct 2014 15:08

I am using GLCD Font Creator to generate fonts for an open-source 3D printer control panel (see http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?340,391515). Flash memory is quite tight, so I need to reduce the size of the generated font tables. Two approaches come to mind:

1. For each character, store exactly the number of data columns specified in the column count for that character, instead of having a lot of trailing zeros. Obviously this will make finding individual characters slower, but if necessary I can pre-calculate the offsets of e.g. every 16th character.

2. Instead of using a whole number of bytes to store each column, pack the data. For example, if a font is 20 pixels high then instead of storing 1 column in 3 bytes, store 2 columns in 5 bytes.

But to do either of these, I need source code so that I can add extra output options, or I need to write a program to parse the generated code back into a bitmap and output it again. Is source code available? I am happy to sign an NDA if that helps.

Muphy

Re: Is source code available?

#2 Post by Muphy » 14 Oct 2014 21:14

I have read this post a couple of times and each time I think my response is the same. I think this is a call to MikroE to ask if they would be willing to share the source. I suspect not without a compelling business case but it's certainly worth a try.

Gotta say that it's disappointing that MikroE appear to have not responded to this post themselves suggesting further contact or with a "no way hosay"response. Perhaps they have already done that privately. Who knows, not me :-)

M

dc42

#3 Post by dc42 » 15 Oct 2014 16:58

No, I haven't received a reply from MikroE. I guess my other option is to reverse engineer the format of the font project file, and write a program to generate code from it in the form I want.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by filip » 16 Oct 2014 07:59

Hi,

I apologize for not answering before.

The Glcd Font Creator creates the fonts according to the Microchip Graphics Library document :
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/A ... 01182b.pdf

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “GLCD Font Creator Software”