Deploying libraries with PM

General discussion on Package Manager Software.
Author

Deploying libraries with PM

#1 Post by Jim Walsh » 25 Jul 2014 15:19

Hi,

I have been checking out Package Manager and I have a couple of questions. When using PM to deploy a library, what is the best method to determine which PICs to select from the devices list? I am guessing the safest method would be to just select ones I've actually tested on, but (in my case at least :lol: ) that would only be a few different PICS. Would it be best to deploy it like that and then let the end user add on whatever devices they might want to install for?

Thanks,

Jim

janni

Re: Deploying libraries with PM

#2 Post by janni » 25 Jul 2014 15:31

That depends on the type of library. If it's not processor-specific, like library for some hardware peripherals can be, then there's no harm in selecting a whole family of processors thus saving the final user additional effort.

Jim Walsh

#3 Post by Jim Walsh » 25 Jul 2014 22:48

Hi Janni,

Thanks for the reply. The library is for an LCD that uses I2C. I tested with 4 different PICs (16877A, 16887, 18F45K22 & 18F4550). I thought it should work with other PIC16 or PIC18 that also supports I2C, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to get people mad at me for messing up their def files. :P

Peace,

Jim

janni

#4 Post by janni » 25 Jul 2014 23:34

Well, one may always change your selections before installing your library. Note that Package Manager allows to choose processors by library (if your lib uses any mE lib, like I2C) or by registers so one may be pretty sure only appropriately equipped processors were chosen.

Jim Walsh

#5 Post by Jim Walsh » 26 Jul 2014 14:13

janni wrote:Well, one may always change your selections before installing your library. Note that Package Manager allows to choose processors by library (if your lib uses any mE lib, like I2C) or by registers so one may be pretty sure only appropriately equipped processors were chosen.

Cool. Yes, it uses mE's I2c Lib. I assumed that other pics using the same libs should work, but I just wanted to check first. Thanks again for the info Janni, it was very helpful.

Peace,

Jim

Return to “Package Manager General”