PLCPIC16 V6 sugestion for automation board

Post your requests and ideas for the mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

PLCPIC16 V6 sugestion for automation board

#1 Post by Nitrof » 31 Jan 2016 13:21

I.

I was interrested into the PLCPic16 V6 until I notice his patch... Why all those switch to assign device. The board have so many stuff on it, but you can't use it all... Here my idea. It would be very great to have a multiplexer and a demultiplexer for relay out and digital in... that way you free up 22 pins to remove all select switch.

Also. for the expansion port, the should be only SPI port to share MOSI MISO and SCK pins and have only different SC# SD#/RST# pin. Again, that will use less pin to do same job. The only disadvantage is that you cannot use direct input add-on.
But again , most of them are SPI so...

Another point; I notice that the max AC supply voltage is 22v. It is sad... For easiness implantation, it should be upgraded to 24Vac. because 99% of control and automation device are powered with 24Vac x-fo...

Thanks for reading

st5

Re: PLCPIC16 V6 sugestion for automation board

#2 Post by st5 » 01 Feb 2016 15:38

I made a review of this board, and had some questions about modifications and the use of a SPI port expander.
Problem is that I want to use SPI ethernet too, so do attention these two work together (closed libraries)

A solution could be to use another PIC, like pic18f45k22, they have two SPI/I2C communications, but the onboard PICPLC programmer doesn't support these devices.

I bought 3 of these boards, don't do it. They take too much space, at first they look good, but you're better off with a startusb/picClicker/ReadyforPIC and then attach 8- or 16-bit input/output boards with MCP23S17.
Last edited by st5 on 01 Feb 2016 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
3x PicPlc16V6 1x EasypicV7

Going from programming on PC to embedded programming is like working in the dark with sunglasses on.

st5

#3 Post by st5 » 01 Feb 2016 15:47

Going from programming on PC to embedded programming is like working in the dark with sunglasses on.

Nitrof

#4 Post by Nitrof » 01 Feb 2016 21:39

Hi st5.

I read your review. and I agree.

I sad because it look like the best desing at first for control and automation...
I saw your post date for 2 years... So it look like Mikros developer doesn't plan to do something better. It 's sad.

One detail: for the spi port.. I think many device can be on the same port, just have to had a SS (slave select).
Cs# do that job on the board. So MOSI MISO and SCK could be common, I'm I right..? anyway. It didn't change the fact that I really disappointed because it was the closes design suitable for my need.

Regards.

Nitrof

biljana.nedeljkovic
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by biljana.nedeljkovic » 02 Feb 2016 09:24

Hello,

Thank the both of you for sharing your suggestions and reviews.

The revision of the board is already on our wishlist.

Best regards,
Biljana

st5

#6 Post by st5 » 02 Feb 2016 22:10

Nitrof wrote: One detail: for the spi port.. I think many device can be on the same port, just have to had a SS (slave select)...
Unfortunately, in my case, slave select is also in the closed library of spi-ethernet, so to do this I would have to use a workaround, or use open libraries. For the MCP23S17 it's no problem, the closed library has a lot of known old problems, it's useless, I wrote my own.

I designed my own 16-port input conditioner+optocoupler module, like on the PICPLCV6 board, but together with an MCP23S17.
The plan is to put these modules on a din-rail, and connect them all to a PIC.

8-bit or 16-bit Output modules are very common. I will use these with the same port expander, this way I have up to 128 I/O +nearly all pins on the Pic for other uses, like analog, 1-wire-temp, display etc.

Return to “Website & Forums Wishlist”