YOU VOTE - WE DO IT: mikromedia shields

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author
anikolic
mikroElektronika team

YOU VOTE - WE DO IT: mikromedia shields

#1 Post by anikolic » 19 Jul 2014 19:08

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all fine this summer, doing interesting projects and sipping cold lemonade to cool down :)

When I came to MikroElektronika Marketing in 2010, we started pushing out mikromedia boards.
I was so impressed by the coolness of it, and couldn't help it but to make a project every weekend.
I did Paint, Calculator, MP3 player, Fifteen, Snakes Game, Matrix Raining Code, Pedometer, and so on.

Mikromedia boards are very powerful and compact, and price really enables you to immediately use it as a part of your design.
Plastic casing is the next logical step, right?
But before that, I wanted to see if you have any suggestions about mikromedia shields.
A lot can be done with mikroBUS shield and click boards, but is there anything else you want us to consider?

SHARE YOUR IDEAS

Here's mine: mikromedia Guitar Shield
Ever since we did a DSP library for PIC32, I wanted to make a mikromedia Guitar Shield.
The idea is to have an input guitar connector leading to analog input pin, and an output guitar connector that goes though DAC.
Once you plug it into your mikromedia board you could read input signal, do FFT analysis and create a Guitar Tuner, but also make sound effects like distortion, wah-wah, delay, etc.

If there's anything else you would like to suggest regarding mikromedia boards, I invite you to join the discussion.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

MicroMark

Re: YOU VOTE - WE DO IT: mikromedia shields

#2 Post by MicroMark » 19 Jul 2014 20:32

For your guitar project.

I would consider using a Wolfson WM8731 codec IC. Mikroe used this chip before
in the MMB32 and a module. There were two problems, only one example was ever published,
second the line in/out pins were not connected, which limited the applications.
Here is a good example of a shield using this part

http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/codec-shield/

One idea I have in regards to a project box. Because everyone has different needs and having
custom boxes made is very expensive. My thoughts are a cnc'd or stamped out plate of aluminum
with the perfect sized display window and mounting holes. The outside diminsions would be slightly
larger than the MMB pcb. This would allow people to cut out rough holes and mount MMB's
in standard project boxes, walls, panels etc. This bezel would give a professional appearence to a project.
It could have a brushed anodized finish and come in multible colors. These could probably
be fabricated at a reasonable cost.

Dedicated project boxes would still be very welcome if in the works!

Thanks
Have a Nice Summer!

Megahurts

#3 Post by Megahurts » 20 Jul 2014 16:17

Hi,

1st, @MicroMark: Very good Idea. :idea: I +1 it.
My thoughts on that also: The face mounting of any MMB with Resistive TP overlay requires a very precise mating so as to not interfere
with the operational nature of them, too tight against a bezel and/or too much overlap inside of the TP's frame of panel separator material by the bezel causes TP to be shorted (acting like constant pressing on TP is happening), or inconsistency with ADC reading
results because pressing on TP also releases some of the bezels pressure too - but inconsistent from area to area touched.
If too loose, contamination to internal circuitry can happen, so a well made mounting bezel that provides protection from liquids and
fine particles would be awesome.
Then users can provide their own 'box' that meets their total HW's combined size that needs only a rough cut-out for MMB areas dimension clearance.

But I'm also sure a lot of people would also like a nice complete MMB project box/case that can accommodate a shield (or 2) + battery and/or a couple of Clicks.

A case for the Gaming shield has been on a lot of peoples wish/waiting list too (I have one waiting to be housed, still :( ).

Now, @Aleksandar:
Here's mine: mikromedia Guitar Shield
Ever since we did a DSP library for PIC32, I wanted to make a mikromedia Guitar Shield.
The idea is to have an input guitar connector leading to analog input pin, and an output guitar connector that goes though DAC.
Once you plug it into your mikromedia board you could read input signal, do FFT analysis and create a Guitar Tuner, but also make sound effects like distortion, wah-wah, delay, etc.
OH DUDE, PLEASE, PLEASE do that one (First) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!

Making a Guitar multi-effect TP GUI based accessory has been on my Dream To-Do list since I bought my first MMB (actually before I bought it).

I love hacking Guitars and Hot-Rodding them so they have a unique and wider range of sounds and settings controls.
Every Guitar I have ever owned did not remain stock after no more than a week or two.

Which ever way that you guys determine is best for signal input capture, on-board ADC or a dedicated IC like micromark suggested,
the "Wolfson WM8731 codec IC", is a decision I leave to the voters or your judgement.
I just would love to have the applications of FFT and doing the different effects principles and examples at our disposal at a minimum.

Once a DSP capable PIC MMB can be programmed to do even a few 'effects', my plans are to mount it in a Guitar to replace most - if not all
of the original conventional controls.

I have a Fender Telecaster just waiting to have this operation done to it, or my favorite playing, already highly modified Strat copy
will get the 'Brain' transplant if the effects turn out to be enhancements it can not be without. See it pictured below:
Tokai TST-62 gutar modified pick-ups n controls.jpg
Tokai TST-62 gutar modified pick-ups n controls.jpg (146.06 KiB) Viewed 183139 times
I have wanted to have a DSP based TP controlled Whammy Bar built in to a Guitar for at least 5 years now, and bought the
dsPIC33EP and PIC32 MMBs mainly for these reasons.
But afterwards I discovered that wanting to do DSP applications and having the HW capable of running DSP programming,
does not mean I could (immediately) do DSP application programming.

Not when nearly all of the information I have gathered and tried to digest remains 100 ft. over my head for
comprehension of how the formulas and Library Functions are to be used and/or parameters modified to create different sound effects. :cry:
( :oops: The formulas are completely meaningless to me, :? without detailed explanations of the symbols meaning, theories of operation(s) and a variety of practical application examples. :roll: )

Sorry to say, but a DSP PIC's Datasheet(s) + the DSP compiler Library w/examples & Documentation (Help file), equals (=) for me (so far),
No clue at all about how to make my "Dream Guitar MOD" realized and until today, when I read this, I had abandoned the hopes of it (maybe) happening before I died.
Because those S.O.B.'s that keep reading my mind and stealing my ideas have already produced a non TP controlled DSP processor built-in, auto-tuner (non mechanical), Electric Guitar (Peavey).

The hopes to at least one-up them with a TFT-TP DSP multi-effects MMB built in to a Guitar surely
is a Nobel and Worthwhile cause you can deem worthy of immediate action and recommend to support yes?

I now place the fate of my (maybe our?) dreams quest successful completion in your hands dear Sir Aleksandar,
and will pray and sacrifice many, many, many, many cases of (weak ass American brewed) Beers in thy name (or any name(s) required), for
sanctioning of this conquest. Yes praise, praise to all, Amen. I mean PROST! Ein mal Bier Bitte :lol:

+ Thank you for the fine examples that you have done (listed above) also, Respectfully, Robert (your humble servant, and may Many fine Biers Bless You) :D

PS. Wouldn't that Guitar look cooler and (hopefully play/sound) even better with a MMB where the controls are now?
And once I calm down enough now to have a cup of coffee to recover from all this excitement, I will ponder something else for a shield proposal.
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

SW: mP for PIC|mB for PIC-dsPIC-PIC32|Visual-TFT|

fred85

#4 Post by fred85 » 25 Jul 2014 13:25

I don’t mean to rain on your parade. In light of the fact you seem to be having difficulty in keeping your existing product line up to date, do you think it’s a good idea to add yet another project?

I guess my vote would be to instead use the resources you are going to be allocating to this project to increase updates on MikroC for PIC and MikroProg for PIC. 14 months in between compiler updates for example is a little much.

Megahurts

#5 Post by Megahurts » 26 Jul 2014 03:12

Hi fred85,

Why would personal that work on HW stop working to wait for the SW personal to release an update?
(but I do agree there needs to be more SW updates for known issue fixes done too)
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by anikolic » 30 Jul 2014 17:11

fred85 wrote:I don’t mean to rain on your parade. In light of the fact you seem to be having difficulty in keeping your existing product line up to date, do you think it’s a good idea to add yet another project?
I can understand that it looks like that from your perspective, but we've really pushed a lot of click boards out this year and prepared couple of other bigger projects which are coming this fall.
fred85 wrote:I guess my vote would be to instead use the resources you are going to be allocating to this project to increase updates on MikroC for PIC and MikroProg for PIC. 14 months in between compiler updates for example is a little much.
Point taken. However, new hardware products can't drastically affect compiler releases. They are done by separate departments.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

Megahurts

#7 Post by Megahurts » 30 Jul 2014 19:28

Hi Aleksandar,

How about a Robotic theme based shield?

Something with the needed sensors built in, plus IR control/programming to the "Brains" plugged onto the shield board also.
Sockets for some "Click" add-on options for sure. Maybe motor control on board so click sockets not used up for something that obviously is required for motion.

I guess it could go either way on form factor, maybe needs voted on:
1)- Roller wheel based bot platform.
2)- Servo based Bi-pod (humanoid) platform.

3)- Or.... voters suggestions?

My Brother and I have imagined making battle-bots based on PIC MCu's that also have TFT Touch Panel screen films placed vertically
so actuated punching arms can try to hit 'critical' zones that are sensed and recorded for total damage inflicted to cause shutdown (winner) condition.
Of course, this scenario is for 'pure fun' deployment of the technology, and less so as 'educational', but could be both in the right
context or 'curriculum' if desired.
Imagine the classic (non electrical) Battle Robots game "Rock-em Sock-em Robots" updated to be remote controlled or programmed to be stand-alone sensor based reaction/action cued responses. It could even be implemented into scholastic courses,
because many variations for solutions to get a winning 'Battle-Bot' coded can be explored, and it would be "Non Destructive" as compared
to current "Battle Bot" competitions.
(I have more details of this idea if desired, email or post request if wanted)

+ An addition to all MMB shields that incorporates a way to have power switched On/Off - Power pass thru would be really nice.

my 2 (4) cents, Robert.

Megahurts

Shield for Bench test equipment creation

#8 Post by Megahurts » 01 Aug 2014 17:30

Hi again, I have another shield idea/request.

This has been requested before, but since open ideas for shields has been requested, I'm resubmitting it +more.

MMB shield(s) that contain the necessary controls and circuit protection components for making a MMB a Bench Test/Measure multifunction Meter/data logger.

Maybe combine able (stacking connections) to add different test/measure shields of individual (or a few similar functions per shield) functions
together to make any desired combined meter/measure/logging functions unit from available offerings.

Possible Shields by functions:
Oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer. - shield provides input protection, range controls or auto-range feature, 1x/10x BNC probe connector(s) (at least 2),
Channel controls A , B , A+B, Trigger source selection, data logging thru USB to PC connector...... .....

Multimeter. - standard digital multimeter functions for Ohms, ACV, DCV, Amps, Diode, FET, NPN, PNP, Temp, Freq, TTL Logic level state,
Banana connector posts for probes..........

Data Logger unit. - stores to SD card any data measurements selected from any shields attached or optionally sends data to PC by USB.
has controls to select time interval/rate for saving/logging data, start/stop/duration for logging, indicators (LEDS) of activity......

8 or 16 CH. Signal Analyzer. - (if not 8 or 16 channels then at least the number of channels required for any serial communication protocol supported by MCUs -
SPI, I2c, CAN, UART, RS232, USB etc....

Logic Probe/Analyzer. - multichannel inputs to simultaneously probe/measure/compare different test points.

A HW based event trigger comparator / Signal generator. - standard signal generator waveforms + samples of the serial protocols + MP3 audio level out file/sample player....

Any other functions that would be of use to students, technicians, engineers, hobbyist that I may have forgot at this time....

Of course, depending on the complexity and components and built in HW processing on these boards, their cost will be higher, in track with capabilities built in, than previous shield board products. But fair. :wink:

If designed to be stacked together, then probe connectors and controls/indicators will have to be edge based mounts, unless boards use a staggered edge area larger than others footprint... one is longer to top, one is longer to right, one to the left, another to the bottom...

Of course the more functions to a single shield board that can be done, less problems of stacking alignments and number of different probe input connectors,
and better total size management of max possible combined.

And maybe it is more cost effective/easier to code and produce (time wise) fewer many features boards than many lower number of functions different boards?

Many of those functions/meters can best be consolidated with the O-scope and its high impedance input probes and nature of the display output.

Tough decisions, many simple units or feature packed few or single offering?

I know what I'd like to see made (more functions on a few or single shield(s)), but you guys have the experience and knowing of PCB designing what constitutes how much is too much
and what is practical to actually do make at quality level maintained standard you have.

I'm pretty sure that the more consolidated the functions, controls and probes in/signal out connections done, the less issues with
connectivity and ease of using functionality it would have and easier to house it all also,
because the requests for encasement would be coming very, very soon after release.

A multifunctional (if made) shield device like this would also require additional (thicker) conformal coating applied too, to prevent electrocution of user and protection for sensitive components + durability to vibration/G-shock.

*** BTW-
(Do you guys have means to/or do conformal coating(s) of your boards? It doesn't seem as if there is any applied that I've noticed yet.
If it was applied to anything I have bought, it is a very, very, very thin coating applied.)

I fully believe (more so now that you have new manufacturing machines), that your quality standard for HW is capable of making a
high quality test/measure MMB based meter(s) that supplement the users/developers using your development HW.
Traditional diagnostic equipment is very expensive and mostly not diverse enough for the many things your development HW is designed to be able to do.

More than one (or more) diagnostic tester types is required now to fulfill the possible testing/measuring needs any one of your development kits/units combined built in functionality presents to users. Any effective help for this would be of great value/use to your customers, past, present and future.

Best Regards as always, Robert. (if not feasible to consider doing, I vote instead for the Guitar Shield!!! :D ) again....

st5

#9 Post by st5 » 20 Aug 2014 16:05

anikolic wrote:...But before that, I wanted to see if you have any suggestions about mikromedia shields.
My suggestion is to name it mikromedia boards.
Schields makes me think of the arduinistic blinking led society.
3x PicPlc16V6 1x EasypicV7

Going from programming on PC to embedded programming is like working in the dark with sunglasses on.

Megahurts

#10 Post by Megahurts » 25 Sep 2014 16:50

I guess I should have asked this in the first post:

Was this the right place to "Vote" or suggest on future shields, or is it taking place somewhere else?

Has any decision(s) been made?

Just curious, and really wanting that Guitar Shield still. :wink:

hurolura

#11 Post by hurolura » 27 Sep 2014 14:03

A dual or triple clicker adapter for ST Nucleo board with support for their MCU (F401, F411, L152 ...) would be a good idea after the availability of the new M4 clicker and M4 clicker 2 boards.

More examples to support clicker board on these new M4 clicker board (beside the Hello World and USB examples).

filip
mikroElektronika team

#12 Post by filip » 29 Sep 2014 12:39

Hi,

Thank you for your proposals, I will pass them to our developers.

Regards,
Filip.

Miko

#13 Post by Miko » 10 Nov 2014 19:53

Hi ,

We would like a new board about 4-20mA where you can choose the power supply source

I mean a cheap version of this : http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/current-l ... s/1825456/ without display , case etc

the 4-20mA generator is enough but you have to switch power supply source

If you follow the link , you can see the switch "int" and "ext" on "Loop Pwr" :)

it just an idea
Thanks

filip
mikroElektronika team

#14 Post by filip » 12 Nov 2014 10:29

Hi,

I appreciate your suggestion, it has been added to the wish list.

Regards,
Filip.

CrashEd

#15 Post by CrashEd » 19 Nov 2014 09:27

I'd like to propose a 'CO2 Click' board, if possible, using the MG-811 from Hanwei or something similar:

http://hwsensor.b2bage.com/product-sens ... ensor.html

I suspect the Hawei sensor hasn't been done yet because it requires 6V @200mA for the heater, but I'm sure you clever chaps can come up with a different solution? :)

Return to “Product Announcements”