SpeakUp click is ready to take your orders

The SpeakUp software is a for configuring SpeakUp, the speech recognition click board.
Author
srdjan.misic
mikroElektronika team

SpeakUp click is ready to take your orders

#1 Post by srdjan.misic » 14 Mar 2014 19:03

SpeakUp, the speech recognition click board, is ready to take your orders

The SpeakUp is a unique speech recognition click board that can also work as a standalone device.
The exciting thing about it is that it makes speech recognition simple & straightforward! No more
tedious workarounds. Add speech recognition to your home automation and other projects easily.

Click here to learn all about it.

Yours sincerely,
MikroElektronika

MaGiK

Re: SpeakUp click is ready to take your orders

#2 Post by MaGiK » 18 Mar 2014 14:10

Hello guys :D
This click board is great :D

I have a question about it.
Considering that it contains an STM MCU, will I need to purchase an ARM compiler to make it operate in the standalone mode?

Thank you very much in advance :D
Best Regards
My hobby is collecting MikroElektronika products.
Gotta catch them all!

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by anikolic » 18 Mar 2014 16:48

MaGiK wrote:Considering that it contains an STM MCU, will I need to purchase an ARM compiler to make it operate in the standalone mode?
Nope. You don't need a compiler. Everything is done within the free standalone software. Use it to record the command and set predefined actions to available GPIO pins.

For example: record the command "Lights ON", and in the "Assigned Actions" section set IO4 pin's action to "ON", duration "Forever". That's all.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

johnt

#4 Post by johnt » 20 Mar 2014 14:26

Interesting - What recognition chip are you using?

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by anikolic » 20 Mar 2014 16:22

johnt wrote:Interesting - What recognition chip are you using?
We've developed our own firmware from scratch. Works great too. It's like nothing you've seen yet!
Web Department Manager

johnt

#6 Post by johnt » 20 Mar 2014 18:18

hmm - I'm pretty familiar with the NLP5 chips - are we talking comparable performance?
That would be something.
What sort of recognition can we do with it (I clicked but couldn't see your sales page yet)
(thinking SI SD SV... )

marina.petrovic

#7 Post by marina.petrovic » 21 Mar 2014 11:43

Hi,

Like my colleague anikolic already mentioned, we've developed our own firmware from scratch.
Firmware is based on the DTW algorithm - fast language independent algorithm.

You can find detailed information at SpeakUp Webpage:
http://www.mikroe.com/click/speakup/

Best regards,
Marina

jayanthd

#8 Post by jayanthd » 22 Mar 2014 09:28

You can also read adc. You connect GPIO0 of SpeakUp to digital IO of say PIC's digital input pin (say RB0). Then in PIC if RB0 goes high or low (as required) the PIC can be made to read adc and display and to do this you give Read ADC... Read Temperature... Send SMS... Read SMS... etc... voice commands to SpeakUp which in turn commands PIC.

If SpeakUp board itself had 12 bit adc inbuilt then it would be much better then it could be used to build voice operated measuring instruments.

Will there be SpeakUp with 3 or 4 ADC channels in future using STM micro which has ADC, PWM... etc...?

A very nice product to make voice operated home automation systems.
[HW:] EasyPIC v7, mikroProg PIC, AVR, STM32, PSoC, Tiva, 8051
[SW:] mikroC PRO PIC, dsPIC, PIC32, AVR, ARM, 8051
mikroBasic PRO PIC, dsPIC, PIC32, AVR, ARM, 8051
mikroPascal PRO PIC, dsPIC, PIC32, AVR, ARM, 8051
Visual GLCD, Visual TFT

marina.petrovic

#9 Post by marina.petrovic » 24 Mar 2014 13:39

Hi,

You can combine SpeakUp click with your hardware.
For example, SpeakUp click can easily be used with our development boards (with mikroBUS sockets), and other on-board peripherals.
Microcontroller on your hardware (development board) can communicate with SpeakUp click over UART.
In click mode SpeakUp click sends index of the matched voice command to a selectable interface (USB or UART).

In standalone mode on-board MCU on SpeakUp click directly controls external devices using 12 user programmable GPIOs.
With SpeakUp application you can choose the appropriate action for a specific I/O pin.

Best regards,
Marina

johnt

#10 Post by johnt » 25 Mar 2014 13:28

Ah I see - thanks
Good luck.

jayanthd

#11 Post by jayanthd » 07 Apr 2014 10:00

Does this SpeakUp work like this?

User stores his voice commands using software (200 different voice commands). In operation mode when user speaks into the mic the analog signal from mic output is fed to ADC of STM MCU and a continuous digital pattern for the voice is generated and this pattern is passed through an algorithm and compared with pattern(s) stored in memory. If a match occurs then corresponding matched voice command index is sent through UART or USB.

If yes, Can the next version of SpeakUp be made like this?

The user stores voice commands in a memory chip or SD card using the SpeakUp software. The speakUp on board MCU will read the analog signal from mic and generate digital pattern. Compares it with digital voice patterns stored in memory or SD card (no of commands vary with mem or SD card capacity). The onboard MCU will have a 12 bit or 16 bit DAC which generates different voltages for different voice commands in the range of 0 to 5V. This DAC output can be read by another MCU using its ADC and depending upon the ADC value the MCU will control the device(s). Just an additional DAC output interface to increase number of voice commands.
Visual GLCD, Visual TFT

filip
mikroElektronika team

#12 Post by filip » 08 Apr 2014 15:22

Hi,
Does this SpeakUp work like this?

User stores his voice commands using software (200 different voice commands). In operation mode when user speaks into the mic the analog signal from mic output is fed to ADC of STM MCU and a continuous digital pattern for the voice is generated and this pattern is passed through an algorithm and compared with pattern(s) stored in memory. If a match occurs then corresponding matched voice command index is sent through UART or USB.
Yes, the SpeakUp works like this.
The user stores voice commands in a memory chip or SD card using the SpeakUp software. The speakUp on board MCU will read the analog signal from mic and generate digital pattern. Compares it with digital voice patterns stored in memory or SD card (no of commands vary with mem or SD card capacity). The onboard MCU will have a 12 bit or 16 bit DAC which generates different voltages for different voice commands in the range of 0 to 5V. This DAC output can be read by another MCU using its ADC and depending upon the ADC value the MCU will control the device(s). Just an additional DAC output interface to increase number of voice commands.
Basically, you can write a code for the host MCU that will receive index numbers in interrupt to generate appropriate DAC value using the given index.

Regards,
Filip.

jayanthd

#13 Post by jayanthd » 08 Apr 2014 19:11

filip wrote: Basically, you can write a code for the host MCU that will receive index numbers in interrupt to generate appropriate DAC value using the given index.

Are you saying I have to read data from speakUP UART/USB out using a PIC18F UART ISR (say) and depending upon the voice index received I have to set the value of DAC through PIC18F?

If yes, that is not what I need.

It should be something like this...

In next version of speakUP it should have onboard memory to store voice commands (lot of commands) + a SD card circuit and a DAC output for matched voice command, i.e., the speakUP onboard STM MCU itself should have DAC and it should be assigned value like 1, 2, 3, 4....1023 based on voice command(s). Then this speakUP's DAC o/p will be interfaced to user projects MCU like PIC or AVRs ADC and depending upon the adc value devices are controlled.

if voice command matches with stored cmd 1 then STM's DAC is assigned 1 (10 bit DAC) then DAC and hence ADC value read by PIC/AVR is 0.0048875855327468V. Using if condition in PIC/AVR like...

if adcval >= 0.00487 && < 0.0097751710654936 then do A

if adcval >= 0.0097751710654936 && < 0.0146627565982404 then do B

This is just to increase the no. of commands handled. I read that speakUP supports only 200 commands. I know 200 commands are more than enough for a project but just an additional feature will be more useful.
Visual GLCD, Visual TFT

captainigloo

#14 Post by captainigloo » 12 May 2014 14:45

Hello,
I ordered your SpeakUp Click and Pi because I saw the video RPI + XBMC + Pi + click Speakup.
1 - I am very disappointed with the performance in speech recognition (with my professional quality microphones).
2 - Your video demonstration is nice, but the XBMC project is where?
3 - You could at least share this project.
I reiterated I am very disappointed.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#15 Post by filip » 13 May 2014 09:21

Hi,
1 - I am very disappointed with the performance in speech recognition (with my professional quality microphones).
The high quality microphones are very sensitive to ambient noise, accept much wider frequency range than the ordinary human voice/speech.
Therefore, the sound spectrum that is perceived by the microphone could have some unwanted components which can deteriorate the speech recognition.

So, it is advisable to use computer microphones, hands-free headsets, etc. - in other words electret microphones.
2 - Your video demonstration is nice, but the XBMC project is where?
3 - You could at least share this project.
We are planning to release this project soon, so please have patience.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “SpeakUp Software”