Getting Product DVD vs Downloading?

General discussion on mikroElektronika website & forums.
Author

Re: Getting Product DVD vs Downloading?

#16 Post by jayanthd » 05 Oct 2013 11:31

Please provide DVD as downloading speed from mikroe and libstock websites are too low and only one file can be downloaded at a time. It downloads at 4 to 5 KB/s even though my speed is 256 KB/s. My downloads are faster with other websites but it is too slow with mikroe and libstock. I will not be able to download 4 GB from mikroe site.
[HW:] EasyPIC v7, mikroProg PIC, AVR, STM32, PSoC, Tiva, 8051
[SW:] mikroC PRO PIC, dsPIC, PIC32, AVR, ARM, 8051
mikroBasic PRO PIC, dsPIC, PIC32, AVR, ARM, 8051
mikroPascal PRO PIC, dsPIC, PIC32, AVR, ARM, 8051
Visual GLCD, Visual TFT

Pakgear123

#17 Post by Pakgear123 » 08 Oct 2013 15:22

1) No
2) No 9$ ( i gt it for free ) :D
I Am a CEO of Car Reviews Website. If You Are Looking For A New Car Then Do Read Car Reviews On My Website Car Reviews .

Megahurts

#18 Post by Megahurts » 10 Oct 2013 06:32

1) No. Not at this time. Downloading most recent content and updates works fine, as long as there is internet and your servers are up and running.

2) Maybe, if no other option to get necessary files, drivers, ect. was available.

In this day and age, saving resources and cutting operational overhead costs must be a part of any company's S.O.P. in order to survive
and prosper,
so I fully understand the decisions you had to do about the Disc's, and applaud that you asked your customers first about opinions regarding the discontinuing of supplying them.

Of course, we all hope some of the savings you garner from doing it end up saving us some monies too. :lol:
HW: easyPIC5|PICFlash2|easyBT|smartGSM|easyGSM|PICPLC16|mmWorkStation|FT800 Eve|PIC Clicker/2|
MMBs:PIC18F,PIC33EP,PIC32|CLICKs:DAC,ADC,GPS L10,Thermo,8x8B LED,Stepper,W/B OLED,9DOF,GPS3,tRF,Hall I|

SW: mP for PIC|mB for PIC-dsPIC-PIC32|Visual-TFT|

Acetronics

#19 Post by Acetronics » 16 Oct 2013 08:43

Hi,

I live in a small village and my Internet connexion is limited to 2Mo ... ( I'm not the only one ... )

soo, how long for such a download ??? :roll:

the one and only problem is here :wink:

Alain

Xtron

#20 Post by Xtron » 25 Oct 2013 08:47

Most user of MikroC Pro are students it means they have access to Internet but finance is not much so disconnected DVD will not effect much but $9 effect.

cavejug

#21 Post by cavejug » 02 Nov 2013 14:13

Hi all,
very true, technology marches on, downloads are way to go and every business goes for it nowadays. It is about cost reduction. But remember, presenting a choice will be a wining attitude with your customers. There is nothing more annoying then opening a bright shiny box with your new toy in it and finding out that the first thing you need to do is log on to a site of limited capacity (or your Web service is lousy because you live in a country area not in a major city), to acquire an update for your very new purchase. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to reduce cost and increase margins and there is noting wrong with that. But, in my view, there needs to be a balance however, I should be able to get up and running with what is in the box. You can not make everybody happy, so, if I was in your shoes, I would have a major update, say, once a year or every 18 months or a mayor software realise and charge, without hesitation, $9 or $10 for it.. After all, you've got to pay someone to do the work and keep your DVD, books and documentation up to date. Not a small job for sure. Between those major realises, small issues, add-ons and the like would be handled easy through you downloads. Win win all around, you get paid for your work, your servers are not getting bogged down with access traffic and huge downloads, customers keep getting a professional looking package and those who have a fast service for their Web providers can do what they like. Do not forget, great many people do not have a dissent service yet. On another subject, a small suggestion if I may. It would be very helpful to implement auto dictionary correction, a spell checking option. It would improve English for everybody. I have spent a great deal of time reading various posts and realised the communication skill was greatly mismatched between those asking a question and those attempting to answer. Just a thought. Cheers. :wink:
“After a night of drink, drugs and wild sex, Jim woke up to find himself next to a really ugly woman. That's when he realised he had made it home safely.”

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#22 Post by anikolic » 04 Nov 2013 13:39

Megahurts wrote: In this day and age, saving resources and cutting operational overhead costs must be a part of any company's S.O.P. in order to survive and prosper, so I fully understand the decisions you had to do about the Disc's, and applaud that you asked your customers first about opinions regarding the discontinuing of supplying them.
Real costs are really just spending to much time keeping those DVDs up to date.
We are facing the fact that we need to build a specialized infrastructure and employ more people just to burn DVDs.
Two other options are on the menu: we can either deliver outdated DVDs for a year, which is a bad marketing, or simply move beyond DVDs, as most other software companies did. We are in favor of this second option.
Web Department Manager

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

#23 Post by anikolic » 04 Nov 2013 13:56

cavejug wrote:Hi all,
very true, technology marches on, downloads are way to go and every business goes for it nowadays. It is about cost reduction. But remember, presenting a choice will be a wining attitude with your customers. There is nothing more annoying then opening a bright shiny box with your new toy in it and finding out that the first thing you need to do is log on to a site of limited capacity (or your Web service is lousy because you live in a country area not in a major city), to acquire an update for your very new purchase. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to reduce cost and increase margins and there is noting wrong with that. But, in my view, there needs to be a balance however, I should be able to get up and running with what is in the box. You can not make everybody happy, so, if I was in your shoes, I would have a major update, say, once a year or every 18 months or a mayor software realise and charge, without hesitation, $9 or $10 for it.. After all, you've got to pay someone to do the work and keep your DVD, books and documentation up to date. Not a small job for sure. Between those major realises, small issues, add-ons and the like would be handled easy through you downloads. Win win all around, you get paid for your work, your servers are not getting bogged down with access traffic and huge downloads, customers keep getting a professional looking package and those who have a fast service for their Web providers can do what they like. Do not forget, great many people do not have a dissent service yet. On another subject, a small suggestion if I may. It would be very helpful to implement auto dictionary correction, a spell checking option. It would improve English for everybody. I have spent a great deal of time reading various posts and realised the communication skill was greatly mismatched between those asking a question and those attempting to answer. Just a thought. Cheers. :wink:
Thanks for your attention on this matter. You touched several points here, but I am not able to address them all. At least not in the moment.
As for DVDs, we'll slowly replace them with a DVD-shaped leaflet, with information why we had to do it and where can users download the desired content. This won't happen overnight. It will take a course of several months.

As for the option to buy a DVD, it's something we still have to discuss internally. I personally find it fair to offer this option with a small fee. Someone has to keep empty DVDs on stock, and do on-demand disc burning. We estimate that at least 75% of customers won't be hurt by the lack of DVD. Other 25% should have the option to buy it, if necessary.

What sounds interesting to me is a Libstock DVD. If we all agree about the legal stuff, we might offer a complete collection of Libstock projects and libraries on a single DVD. That's a completely different thing.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

st5

#24 Post by st5 » 11 Nov 2013 18:59

anikolic wrote: 1. If we decide to leave out Product DVD from the package - will it affect you in any way?
Long answer:
Generally spoken, the moment the product arrives, I sometimes browse the CD/DVD, if needed.
Then, the CD/DVD ends up in the product packing, at a pile, or elsewhere.

So if I need something afterwards, I look at my harddisk, google or brand page.

Short answer
Not at all
3x PicPlc16V6 1x EasypicV7

Going from programming on PC to embedded programming is like working in the dark with sunglasses on.

Zougagh

#25 Post by Zougagh » 20 Nov 2013 12:37

I have purchased an Easy PIC V7 and I received a DVD ...but I cant see any documentation...the DVD is perhaps empty

I need help

filip
mikroElektronika team

#26 Post by filip » 21 Nov 2013 09:19

Hi,

Please contact our Support Department using the Support Center (http://www.mikroe.com/support/) in order to solve this issue.

Regards.
Filip.

DigitalDunc

#27 Post by DigitalDunc » 25 Nov 2013 21:45

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I like having an official disk, the hardware key and a real dead trees manual (preferrably a big thick heavy one that covers all) and am willing to pay the $9 difference for the disk. Begrudgingly because I'm tight.

it won't really change my world If I have to pay $9 for a disk but I might cry in my beer over how things should be.
Why use a half a dozen transistors when 3 billion will do. :-)

cavejug

#28 Post by cavejug » 05 Dec 2013 01:14

I am very much with you, DigitalDunc. Hopefully we'll prevail.
Cheers.
“After a night of drink, drugs and wild sex, Jim woke up to find himself next to a really ugly woman. That's when he realised he had made it home safely.”

pykedgew

#29 Post by pykedgew » 09 Feb 2014 12:26

No for 1 & 2

Download it from the net as it always be up to date.

Ken

Eldwin_1

#30 Post by Eldwin_1 » 02 Mar 2014 11:14

Thanks for the post!

Return to “Website & Forums General Discussion”