MPLAB assembler with EasyPIC 5 ???

General discussion on mikroC.
Author

MPLAB assembler with EasyPIC 5 ???

#1 Post by dslocum » 08 Nov 2009 17:30

I know this is off topic, but is it possible to program from MPLAB assembler with the EasyPIC5?

Sobrietytest

#2 Post by Sobrietytest » 09 Nov 2009 04:29

It depends, but generally speaking you would export the hex file from MPLAB and get your EP5 programmer to load it.

Raabtronic

#3 Post by Raabtronic » 23 Nov 2009 07:57

dsl that shoud work just fine. I am an AVR Guy, but I programm in AVRStudio all the time and just use microElektronica AVR Flash Tool to load the hex in the Controller.

Should work the same way for PIC.

The only thing is that you will need to get the MMC/SD Card, GLCD and LCD librarys from somewhrere else or programm them yourself. Because microelektronica does not publish asm librarys or any other language libs for other compilers.

But nevermind. If you get or are any good with asm you can make a library for GLCD (in 50 hrs + if you are a beginner, so you better look where you get one if so) that maybe is faster (if you use the registers and the stack clever) and smaller than the C libs from here.

Hope that helped you.

Dxmaxim

MPLAB Support

#4 Post by Dxmaxim » 20 Jan 2010 08:13

Good day all,

My apologies for the 'lazy' posting but I figured that the answer might also mean that you had tried it.

MicroChip MPLAB: Does MikroC Pro support this nicely ie write code in Mikro C and then take the source + Hex file to MPLAB for debugging using a PICKIT 3 or ICD 2?

Thanks in advance

Michael
ZarDynamix | Fidelis et fortis semper
An embedded solutions company
Site | http://www.zardynamix.com

tihomir.losic
mikroElektronika team

Re: MPLAB Support

#5 Post by tihomir.losic » 20 Jan 2010 10:52

Dxmaxim wrote:MicroChip MPLAB: Does MikroC Pro support this nicely ie write code in Mikro C and then take the source + Hex file to MPLAB for debugging using a PICKIT 3 or ICD 2?
Hello Michael,

1) if you use examples from older versions of compilers (mikroC), my recommendation to you is that with the help of Migration Document (Help -> Document Migration) alone fix your code and customize it to the new version.

2) our compilers generate COFF files, which you can use to import with MPLAB, and then you can use hardware debugging with PicKit2 or PicKit3.

COFF File Format
The Common Object File Format (COFF) is a specific file format suitable for code debugging.
The COFF incorporates symbolic procedure, function, variable and constant names information; line number information, breakpoints settings, code highlighter and all the necessary information for effective and fast debugging.
By using COFF, it is possible to import and debug code generated by mikroElektronika compilers under Microchip's MPLAB®.

Best regards,

Losic Tihomir
mikroElektronika [Support team]

Mince-n-Tatties

Re: MPLAB Support

#6 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 20 Jan 2010 23:03

tihomir.losic wrote:
Dxmaxim wrote:MicroChip MPLAB: Does MikroC Pro support this nicely ie write code in Mikro C and then take the source + Hex file to MPLAB for debugging using a PICKIT 3 or ICD 2?
Hello Michael,

1) if you use examples from older versions of compilers (mikroC), my recommendation to you is that with the help of Migration Document (Help -> Document Migration) alone fix your code and customize it to the new version.

2) our compilers generate COFF files, which you can use to import with MPLAB, and then you can use hardware debugging with PicKit2 or PicKit3.

COFF File Format
The Common Object File Format (COFF) is a specific file format suitable for code debugging.
The COFF incorporates symbolic procedure, function, variable and constant names information; line number information, breakpoints settings, code highlighter and all the necessary information for effective and fast debugging.
By using COFF, it is possible to import and debug code generated by mikroElektronika compilers under Microchip's MPLAB®.

Best regards,

Losic Tihomir
and it works very well!

Shilpa Deepak

Re: MPLAB assembler with EasyPIC 5 ???

#7 Post by Shilpa Deepak » 25 Oct 2010 12:15

Hi Losic,

Can you please tell me to how to generate COFF files in MicroC compiler? I am also facing the same problem.I have a frequency counter with LCD working code in MicroC compiler and due to some technical issues I am forced now to use a MPLAB IDE i.e. using Hitech PIC C compiler. I am struggling to make the Micro C code compatible to work with MPLAB IDE but despair that it doesnot build successfully.I was very happy when I came across this solution.I tried building the same project under Micro C but I could see that it build successfully and generates a .hex file but not the COFF file which you have stated in your mail.

I am planning to use PIC Kit3 as the debugger/programmer and MPLAB IDE i.e. Hitech C Compiler and hence I was interested to know if I can debug the code by programming the COFF file generated using the MicroC Compiler?

Please help me out :(

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Shilpa

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: MPLAB assembler with EasyPIC 5 ???

#8 Post by zristic » 30 Oct 2010 20:16

Shilpa Deepak wrote:Can you please tell me to how to generate COFF files in MicroC compiler?
Main menu -> Tools -> Options -> Output -> Generate Coff file

Return to “mikroC General”