GSM click / USB click board serial problem

General discussion on mikroElektronika development boards.
Author

GSM click / USB click board serial problem

#1 Post by softmobile » 23 Nov 2014 08:45

As a first step towards working with the GSM Click board, I am trying to connect to the GSM click board via the USB Click board from MikroE.

The FTDI drivers are successfully loaded and two ttyUSBx devices are detected on Linux, but there is no LED activity when trying to communicating with the device using a terminal emulator.

Just to clarify: I have been reading a lot of the posts on RS232 communication issues in the forum, e.g. http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... k+#p240309, but it seems that in all cases there is at least some response from the modem.

I would assume that when using "out of the box" components like the USB Click board, I should not have to do any hardware changes to make it work? Has anyone had luck combining a GSM (not GSM2) board via the USB serial adapter (USB Click board?)

Any help on how to debug the problem would be greatly appreciated!

dejan.odabasic
mikroElektronika team

Re: GSM click / USB click board serial problem

#2 Post by dejan.odabasic » 24 Nov 2014 16:53

Hello,

Could you please specify how are you powering the module and how are the I/O level jumpers configured(on GSM click and USB UART Board)?

Best regards.

softmobile

#3 Post by softmobile » 25 Nov 2014 06:20

dejan.odabasic wrote:Hello,

Could you please specify how are you powering the module and how are the I/O level jumpers configured(on GSM click and USB UART Board)?

Best regards.
Thanks for your quick reply. I am powering the unit through the USB click port, and the jumpers on the USB Click board are set to Vin (tried BCD also) and UART (not SPI) respectively. I did not alter the soldered jumper on the GSM Click.

softmobile

#4 Post by softmobile » 25 Nov 2014 13:43

softmobile wrote:
dejan.odabasic wrote:Hello,

Best regards.
Thanks for your quick reply. I am powering the unit through the USB click port, and the jumpers on the USB Click board are set to Vin (tried BCD also) and UART (not SPI) respectively. I did not alter the soldered jumper on the GSM Click.
I tried powering the GSM click board through an FTDI USB to serial adapter and manually wire 3.3V, GND, Rx and Tx to the USB port of the Linux PC.

This got the "status LED" on the GSM Click board to flash, and every once in a while the Tx LED. But still no response in the terminal emulator on AT commands ..

Any help is greatly appreciated!

dejan.odabasic
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by dejan.odabasic » 25 Nov 2014 16:47

Hello,

Unfortunately, by default RST pin is set to 2.5V when click USB adapter is connected to USB cable and that's why GSM module in power off.
Pin state needs to be configured from SW, click USB adapter - Example project can be used to set RST pin to low (GSM module > Power OFF).

Since RST pin is pulled up internally, quick and dirty workaround is to desolder RST pin from GSM click board.

Best regards.

softmobile

#6 Post by softmobile » 26 Nov 2014 06:57

Now that was an easy fix, thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems that there might be a problem with powering the GSM Click board from the USB port. I can now configure the modem and get a PDP context, etc, but as soon as I use the connection (load the USB power line?), the modem "hangs" and only a power cycle will bring it back online.

Does anyone have experience with powering a GSM Click board through USB?

jarlgjessing

#7 Post by jarlgjessing » 22 Apr 2021 15:55

Hi.

I have a GSM2 board which I use for my project, and I can communicate just fine with it through the project.
But now I'm trying to communicate via a USB2serial device, actually just through the RX/TX on an arduino uno with no processor, but there is no communication at all :-(
I have switched the jumper to 5V, I have pulled PWRKEY up so that I see that it is powered on and the activity led is flashing.

But there is no way I can get through to it.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Return to “Development Boards”