Problem with USB drivers

General discussion on mikroElektronika development boards.
Author

Problem with USB drivers

#1 Post by toms » 14 Feb 2006 23:47

I've purchased an Easypic3 dev. board and am trying to install the picflash2 USB drivers but when I do I get an error stating that the Drivers are requesting 95% of the bandwidth and that they cannot be installed. I only have a printer on my USB port, I unplugged it and tried again with out any success. What can I do next? I am running windows XP.

Tom

Charlie

#2 Post by Charlie » 15 Feb 2006 01:34

Hi Toms,

That seems to be a common problem.I have never experienced this though.I have all 4 usb ports occupied and have not had any problems. What you may try is remove the printer drivers,install Easypic3 drivers and then when this is successful reinstall printer drivers.
Regards Charlie M.

xor

#3 Post by xor » 15 Feb 2006 06:55

The PICFlash2 USB is very fast and can demand high bandwidth. Maybe at some later time mE will allow throttling in the programmer. If you have another USB controller on your PC, which is now typical of newer computers, then move the programmer to the other USB ports.
[color=darkred][b]xor[/b][/color]
[url=http://circuit-ed.com]CircuitED -[/url]

xtdu

#4 Post by xtdu » 18 Feb 2006 17:23

I had similar problems with the high bandwidth demanded by the mE USB drivers.
On checking the Control Panel's, Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus controllers, the the USB Host controllers. I found that the Nvidia4 chipset motherboard was handing over all its bandwith.

I then installed PICFlash2 on a motherboard with an Intel 955 chipset, on this only the host controller with the EasyPIC2 connected was affected plus the on other USB socket on that controller the other USB hosts worked fine with devices I connected.

On the Nvidia mobo I got a very cheap USB2 PCI card and use that for the EasyPIC2 which now works without troubling my other USB stuff.

Hope this helps

xtdu

#5 Post by xtdu » 18 Feb 2006 17:26

should be more careful the Me board I use is the EasyPIC3 not 2 as typed

ZgRob

#6 Post by ZgRob » 20 Feb 2006 17:07

I am having the same problems with the extreme ammounts of bandwidth used by the EasyPIC3 board.
Though the EasyPIC3 may have a fast USB2.0 interface, it still is only max 12Mbit/sec if I am correct (Full-speed), which isn't even close to the total of 480Mbit/sec (High-speed) that the USB2.0 hub can handle in theory. (I am not an USB expert, but this is the way I get how it works)

I mean an USB2.0 pendrive isn't eating up 95% of my USB bandwidth, while it also transfers at several Mbit/sec. And those pendrives may even support high-speed USB (480Mbit/sec), which the EasyPIC3 programmer doesn't, since it is based on a PIC chip and there are currently no PIC chips capable of more than full-speed USB (12 Mbit/sec).

Luckily I don't use any other USB products on my pc, so I never encountered the problem until I used a 18F4550 USB PIC in the EasyPIC3. Funny enough I couldn't use the programmer USB together with the 16F4550 USB at the same time. And plugging and re-plugging really starts to irritate after a while (No, I don't see moving to another USB hub as a real solution to this problem. I never used a (fast) USB product before that couldn't work with at least 1 other USB product, and I do not expect the EasyPIC3 to be different, it is still nothing more than a PIC programming device).

I don't think it should be necessary for the EasyPIC3 to consume the complete USB bus, it would be great of MikroE could resolve this bandwidth usage. I must say though, upon viewing earlier posts on this topic it might have to do with the Nvidia based motherboards, or at least a specific type or brand of motherboard/usb hub. I will try to test my setup on other computers with different motherboards when I get the chance, but MikroE doesn't really give a lot of answers in this matter... on a normal PC does MikroE expect the the EasyPIC3 take up 95% of the total bandwidth? :?: I still conlude that they do think it is normal, reviewing their previous answers on this matter, as MikroE does not give replies like "hey that is strange, with our PC it doesn't use up 95% of the bandwidtch" instead MikroE responds with, disconnect all your other USB stuff or move to another USB hub. :!:

By the way I am using an MSI motherboard based on Nforce4 drivers (up-to-date) with integrated USB2.0. But I have encountered the problems on another pc aswel, which I think didn't have an Nvidia based motherboard chipset, but I cannot tell for certain. The next chance I get I will try to test the bandwidth usuage on different brands of motherboards/hubs.

Regards,
Rob

Dusan
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by Dusan » 22 Feb 2006 09:43

Hi,

the EasyPIC3 and the PICflash programmer are fast USB2.0 which is 12 Mbit/sec max. PICflash programmer is working by sending/receiving a large block of data on fixed amount of time. If we would change PICflash so it sends/receives blocks of data with larger pause between two blocks (in order to reduce bandwidth usage) it would decrease programming speed by amount of time that the pause is increased.

We are working on optimizing the programmer and reduce the bandwidth usage.

XorXaX

#8 Post by XorXaX » 24 Jan 2007 17:28

Dusan wrote:Hi,

the EasyPIC3 and the PICflash programmer are fast USB2.0 which is 12 Mbit/sec max. PICflash programmer is working by sending/receiving a large block of data on fixed amount of time. If we would change PICflash so it sends/receives blocks of data with larger pause between two blocks (in order to reduce bandwidth usage) it would decrease programming speed by amount of time that the pause is increased.

We are working on optimizing the programmer and reduce the bandwidth usage.
Have you looked in to this problem? i for one would rather be able to use all of my current USB devices instead of a fast programming. Would int it be possible to have two drivers/programmers? The current one that uses 81% of the bandwidth and an other one that uses a lot less bandwidth (like 25% or so). Is this fixed on EP4? Because everyone that have this problem seems to have the EP3. Maybe you can make a new firmware for the EP3 for people to download and reprogram their EP3 with?
Jonas Andersson, Sweden
EasyPIC3, EasyPIC5, various dev boards and fully licensed mikroC
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"

Dusan
mikroElektronika team

#9 Post by Dusan » 25 Jan 2007 10:46

Hi,

the problem regarding an USB bandwidth issue is solved on EasyPIC4 development board! Firmware upgrade can not be applied to EasyPIC3.

Best regards.

Zed

#10 Post by Zed » 21 Apr 2007 00:34

Just had the bandwidth problem come up with a new mikroC install on an Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard'd PC , which has the nForce 680i chipset. Will let you know if I can overcome the problem without using a USB expansion card...

Zed
The spanner has been chromed...

raptorguy

#11 Post by raptorguy » 22 Apr 2007 12:56

Change the USB cable...

I had the same problem with my new EasyPIC4 board, couldn't successfully install drivers and it was reporting USB bandwidth problems. Changed the USB lead for another (shorter) one and works just fine.

Others have reported the same issue with the USB lead, either there is a bad batch of cables being sent out or they are not up to USB2.0 spec.

J

Return to “Development Boards”